Floor removal by door on 13' scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2017, 09:56 PM   #1

Name: Dana
Trailer: Scamp
UT
Floor removal by door on 13' scamp

I have a new to me '86 scamp I purchased mostly gutted. The rear floor in the dinette/bed area has been replaced with marine plywood by the previous owner already. The main kitchen floor is in good shape, but the small 10"x24" piece right by the door is rotten due to a leaky rivet near the door.

I am trying to remove this piece and replace it with plywood, but it's proven to be very stubborn to get out. It seems to be riveted to the main I-beam with stainless steel rivets that I can't drill out. And, despite the rotted state of the OSB, it doesn't want to come out with brute force either. Any reccomendations on how to remove this piece of floor?
utahscampguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 10:11 AM   #2

Name: Gene
Trailer: 2022 Spirit Deluxe
Florida
Try a Dremel

I would try to carefully grind the rivet head off with a dremel.
Gene680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 03:16 PM   #3

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Heck with careful grind, it's a piece of scrap wood. Go at it with a 4 inch. angle grinder and grind the head off. Once you can pop the wood off and get it out of there then grind the old fasteners flush with the frame if screws or grind them short and us a punch to drive them out

Mine had screws to the frame and fiberglass tabbing to the trailer walls. Plus glue between it and frame around the well in the center. which I think acted as a seal and filler to help level over welds etc.

When you replace that wood if you have a front window I suggest coating that wood top and bottom and all edges with FG resin. Plus inside any holes for gas lines or wires. Between the window, the door hinges, the pigtail wiring you can be sure that sooner or later water will get in, especially if driving 55 mph in the rain. Making that board extremely water proof is a good thing.

I think I just found the last little leak in the front end. Someone put rivets and caulk in the weep holes, so track was leaking from the window center seam. Arrgh. Did the door seals and hinges, rivets with new caps and butyl, did the belly band FG seam where a bubble leaked, pulled the window and replace butyl tape. and still was getting a little wet spot in the same location. Trailer was parked so all leaks went to the same low spot.

I expect your door opening may have shifted, there is a small piece of wood that the bottom of the door opening attaches to. When that rots the door tends to "spread" at the bottom. I'll dig out some pictures and post them.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 03:26 PM   #4

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
That is straight down at hinge side of door, note the edge on piece of plywood sticking out of the frame. It should be attached to bottom of door.

You can see the rig clamped to the couch support and being used to pull bottom of door over to attach. Also the tabbing line where the white ends.

Ready to drop floor into old wall tabbing with FG resin and onto the glue on the frame. Door corner brace repaired.

RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 03:40 PM   #5

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
If you have a hole saw you can hole saw around the fastener until you get through the wood. Then remove the wood you want and attack the fastener after when you can get at it.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp