Floor rot/repair question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2018, 01:25 PM   #1

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Scamp 16
Washington
Floor rot/repair question

Hi All,

I'm in the middle of multiple projects on a 1990 16' Scamp (layout 4). I found some floor rot under the water heater. The heater sits underneath the kitchen cabinet above the wheel well. Probably only a 10"x10" area that butts up to the outer wall and the wheel well. When inspecting the floor from underneath that area is soft and not very thick and in danger of breaking out completely.

From the inside it looks like Scamp's process was to put the floor in and then 2" strips of fiberglass covered the edges of the wood flooring at the wall, wheel well and side cabinet. The wood under the fiberglass strips has been rotted away enough that the strips have separated.

My thought was to apply a wood rot hardener (Git Rot) and then build up the wood floor with plastiwood. I'd then sand and apply fiberglass resin over the top.

I am totally new to this type of work so any advice would be appreciated. Is this a sufficient way to fix this problem or do I need to consider replacing that section of the floor completely. I have no idea how I'd do that!

Any other alternatives?

Thanks for your help.

Kelly
kjackson82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 05:01 PM   #2

Name: Rob
Trailer: 1975 Triple E Surfside
Alberta
Registry
Hmm I'd be inclined to cut out the bad and glass in a new piece . It should just pull out of the glassed in part on the wall. New wood is always better.
Old 12-08-2018, 09:41 PM   #3

Washington
Thanks Robeye,

I'll think I"ll do what you suggest. Seems like there isn't much material left there anyway.

I've never done this before, but assume the procedures is to simply use a jigsaw to gut out the square hole, then anchor a new 3/4 plywood board in the hole, apply fiberglass resin to the bottom of the board (under the trailer) and apply a fiberglass cloth over that piece and glass it in. Seems easy enough, am I missing something?

Do I need to worry about glassing it in on the inside or can I just caulk and paint it?

Side note, I'd like to repaint all of the floor under the cabinets ... any suggestion for a good paint that folks use? I was thinking of just getting water based Kills.

Thanks again.
Old 12-08-2018, 09:46 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
My new best friend is an oscillating multi tool for cuts like that. I break far fewer blades.

I tried to use Git-Rot on the gunnels of a boat once. The puddles of resin are still evident in my carport.
Old 12-09-2018, 09:44 AM   #5

Name: Rob
Trailer: 1975 Triple E Surfside
Alberta
Registry
you can use a piece of 1x4 that spans the hole to hold the new wood in place.. and glass both sides. Most outdoor paint will be fine..
Old 12-09-2018, 12:02 PM   #6

Washington
Thanks again.

I bought all the fiberglass materials so all there is left to do now is cut the hole!
Old 12-18-2018, 05:50 PM   #7

Name: Ray
Trailer: scamp
Indiana
plywood and undercoat

I had to do a repair where the pump is on my 16 foot scamp. I used treated plywood and then undercoated it before and after I put it in place. Make sure you go all the way back to where you have solid material.

PS I have had a problem with my water heater. Found out that over time apparently there was rubbing between where it sits and the tank and the tank had worn through and was leaking. You might check this and look into replacing the water heater to prevent more damage.
computerspook is offline   Reply With Quote