Flooring and Frame Paint Advice? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-14-2009, 09:56 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Name: Dave
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
British Columbia
Posts: 150
Quote:
Jeff-- what did you end up using on the frame???? Here's a shot on how I apply POR 15-'cause it sticks to everything. I was doing the inside roof of a 55 chev yesterday..... Larry
Gandolf?
__________________

__________________
Dave_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 06:25 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Tom Trostel's Avatar
 
Name: Tom
Trailer: 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Texas
Posts: 1,300
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Great work! How about mounting the spare flat and on top of the tongue with the propane tank crandled inside the wheel?
__________________

__________________
1980 Bigfoot 17' & former owner of 1973 Compact Jr
Tom Trostel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 10:12 AM   #17
Junior Member
 
Trailer: 1972 Trillium 13 ft
Posts: 27
Quote:
Jeff-- what did you end up using on the frame???? Here's a shot on how I apply POR 15-'cause it sticks to everything. I was doing the inside roof of a 55 chev yesterday..... Larry
Hey Larry

I actually went with the Tremclad Flat Black because of budget reasons (I really really wanted Por-15 & BlackCote). Here's the But, It cost me $43.50 tax in for the Tremclad job (5 coats/and looks good/saw the Green Grape done with it). Por-15 and BlackCote was going to cost me $177.40 tax in (the Paint shop I was going to get it at was pushing a sprayer on me as well ($60/plus thinner more) and I do have a great compressor, but was not going to attempt it out side). My Garage is full and not high enough for my RV. I know I know I will need touch ups here and there but so be it for now. Allows me to do some more upgrades before winter comes (savings $133.90 without sprayer & thinner will pay for my new cabinets, table and windows resealed).
Nice suit Larry lol (that must be a before pic, as no paint on you, or your a real good painter). 55 Chev one of my all time fav's nice.

Cheers Jeff
__________________
Jeff Nightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 10:37 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
Larry&Carrie's Avatar
 
Name: Larry
Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Washington
Posts: 553
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

Quote:
Hey Larry

I actually went with the Tremclad Flat Black because of budget reasons (I really really wanted Por-15 & BlackCote). Here's the But, It cost me $43.50 tax in for the Tremclad job (5 coats/and looks good/saw the Green Grape done with it). Por-15 and BlackCote was going to cost me $177.40 tax in (the Paint shop I was going to get it at was pushing a sprayer on me as well ($60/plus thinner more) and I do have a great compressor, but was not going to attempt it out side). My Garage is full and not high enough for my RV. I know I know I will need touch ups here and there but so be it for now. Allows me to do some more upgrades before winter comes (savings $133.90 without sprayer & thinner will pay for my new cabinets, table and windows resealed).
Nice suit Larry lol (that must be a before pic, as no paint on you, or your a real good painter). 55 Chev one of my all time fav's nice.

Cheers Jeff
Jeff-- actually, it is a before picture, but I really don't get much on me anyway (experience does count) Yeah, your paint shop was blowing smoke at ya.... One doesn't need thinner and you don't need to spray it if you don't want too, either. We have sprayed it with a simple solvent gun (also known as a suction gun-- about $8 at Harbor Freight) and my friend uses his primer gun- neither one of us thin it (and cheap lacquer thinner works, too, POR 15 thinner isn't needed) And 2 quarts would have been more than enuff. The 55 inside roof took less than a pint.... And I don't really think their Blackote is really needed either, the Compact tongue (POR 15-no topcoat)has been exposed to Eastern WA sun for a year now and still looks good. Sooooo
anyway good luck on your project keep up the good work later Larry
__________________
Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 10:40 AM   #19
Junior Member
 
Trailer: 1972 Trillium 13 ft
Posts: 27
Quote:
all that black and yellow...

Aren't you a busy bee?....

(I'll be here in my room if anyone needs me)
Hi Gina

Busy busy for sure! Hey thanks for the idea Gina. I have been trying to think of a name for my Egg. And originally I was going with "The Cave". But thanks to you I think I've come up with a better one "The Hive". What do you think about that name?

Cheers Jeff

Do these colours remind you of anything lol? (exspecially with the cupboards and table black).
Attached Thumbnails
beeHive.jpg   IMG_0870.JPG  

__________________
Jeff Nightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 11:04 AM   #20
Junior Member
 
Trailer: 1972 Trillium 13 ft
Posts: 27
Quote:
Great work! How about mounting the spare flat and on top of the tongue with the propane tank crandled inside the wheel?
Hey Tom

Thanks. I did see that setup in my searches. It would resolve the spare mount issue for sure. Thanks for the Idea but I am swaying more towards under the tounge mount. As I like the propane mount I have and the spare being right out of the way, as I hope it won't get used all that much lol.

Cheers: Jeff
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0879.JPG  
__________________
Jeff Nightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 11:37 AM   #21
Junior Member
 
Trailer: 1972 Trillium 13 ft
Posts: 27
Quote:
Jeff-- actually, it is a before picture, but I really don't get much on me anyway (experience does count) Yeah, your paint shop was blowing smoke at ya.... One doesn't need thinner and you don't need to spray it if you don't want too, either. We have sprayed it with a simple solvent gun (also known as a suction gun-- about $8 at Harbor Freight) and my friend uses his primer gun- neither one of us thin it (and cheap lacquer thinner works, too, POR 15 thinner isn't needed) And 2 quarts would have been more than enuff. The 55 inside roof took less than a pint.... And I don't really think their Blackote is really needed either, the Compact tongue (POR 15-no topcoat)has been exposed to Eastern WA sun for a year now and still looks good. Sooooo
anyway good luck on your project keep up the good work later Larry
Hey Larry

I failed to mention I did apply a couple coats of Tremclad Primer as well before top coat was applied (thats 5 coats of paint 2 coats primer for the frame and 9 coats combined on the problem area /2 coats of stone guard). Should last quit a while. And as the pic shows I stone guarded (primed and painted as well) the problem area on the Trillium Frames. $135.60 for two quarts of Por-15 here in Canada. Don't ya hate when shops blow smoke? I do. Next time Larry I'll save up a bit before hand and purchase a paint brush. Just had the time and wanted to getter done. And allow for my other upgrades.

Thanks Again Jeff
Attached Images
 
__________________
Jeff Nightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 12:05 PM   #22
Senior Member
 
DonDeutsch's Avatar
 
Trailer: Cloud 13 ft and Compact Jr
Minnesota
Posts: 328
I think I checked once and tremclad is not available in the US. Does anyone know how I can buy it?
__________________
DonDeutsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 12:28 PM   #23
Junior Member
 
Trailer: 1972 Trillium 13 ft
Posts: 27
Quote:
I think I checked once and tremclad is not available in the US. Does anyone know how I can buy it?

Hey Don

I believe the equivalent to Tremclad is Rust-Oleum in the US.

http://www.rustoleum.com/default.asp?SBL=1 (USA) (there is a locate retailer at top right of page)

http://www.rustoleum.com/brand.asp?f...nd_id=41&SBL=5 (Canada)

Good luck: Jeff



__________________
Jeff Nightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 04:11 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
Vickie B.'s Avatar
 
Name: Vickie
Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2015 Ford F-150, 2017 Winnebago UltraLite 27BHSS
Nebraska
Posts: 1,110
Registry
Jeff,

I LOVE how your camper is turning out! "The Hive" is absolutely perfect!! Is the flooring you got the kind that was mentioned earlier that comes on a 12' roll??? I really like it--especially since we'll be traveling with 2 messy pugs!

Great Job!!
__________________
1988 Perris Pacer
2010 Honda Ridgeline
2013 Winnebago Minnie 2101FBS
Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 06:55 PM   #25
Junior Member
 
Trailer: 1972 Trillium 13 ft
Posts: 27
Quote:
Jeff,

I LOVE how your camper is turning out! "The Hive" is absolutely perfect!! Is the flooring you got the kind that was mentioned earlier that comes on a 12' roll??? I really like it--especially since we'll be traveling with 2 messy pugs!

Great Job!!
Hey Vickie

Thanks. "The Hive" it is! The same reason, I bought it for my 2 English Field Springer Spaniels (messy). Installs in just two pieces in total (main floor and table floor) rugged and removes easily to clean. Actually I purchases it by 4 foot width and by the foot in length ($7.95 per foot = $71.87 Taxes included). Just take these two notes: 1 - that this is Rubber flooring not Vinyl flooring (thicker and more rugged). 2 - The reason why in my flooring pics you see the lines in the flooring going sideways in the RV not lenght wise, is that the main floor is over 4 feet wide and it allowed a full piece install.

It also stays in place with out the sliding and bunching.
Good luck and thanks again.

Cheers: Jeff
__________________

__________________
Jeff Nightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
paint, painting


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Paint or Undercoat The Frame? Parker Buckley Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers 16 01-26-2016 07:11 AM
Boler-to-frame fasteners -- I'd like advice on how to replace them Raya Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 17 06-12-2015 02:11 PM
Frame Paint Question DannyH Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 4 11-05-2009 06:16 AM
Bigfoot body shifted on frame... advice? Bruce & Melissa L Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 16 08-17-2009 12:01 PM
To sand and paint, to paint, or to leave it be...these are the questio JenPB Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers 8 12-07-2008 11:39 AM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.