Flooring and Frame Paint Advice? - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-29-2009, 03:08 PM   #1

Trailer: 1972 Trillium 13 ft
Hello

I have acquired a 1972 1300 Trillium from original owner. 1st July 2009, I've been working on it for two months now. And it's coming along very nicely. Long list of up grades now done.

Limo Tint
replaced all screens and spline
New Marker lights
New trailer and light wireing and loom
New Mud flaps riveted
New propane tank and two stage regulator/cover and plate mod
New tires (spare as well) and bearings and seals (painted)
interior light new and moded (plug and switch incorperated)
centered licence plate bracket mod
all exterior vents, ports etc. referbed, butyled and reriveted
door hinges referbed (SS, paint and holes rebuilt)
door weather strip replaced
Belly trim replaced
Stainless hardware replaced old through out
New Black Fridge
re and re water tank, replaced all water/drain lines, and had 1/2" quick connects plastic welded to tank (supply, overflow and drain)
removed tons of silicone from body and interior (man oh man)
and so on and so on

Just got my frame back from welders (new 2" coupler, Tounge jack foot and wheel, safety chains, safety chain holder rings welded to frame, reinforced frame/fish plated 1/4") it's scraped, sanded, wire wheeled and ready for paint. I am waffeling between Tremclad (cheaper) and Por 15 (expensive/do I really need it?). I prefer to spray it. Is primer really needed with a rust paint? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

As well I am searching for black rubber flooring Suggestions (canadian suppliers please)? I would like to have two one piece sections for the floor (table area, main floor area). Rubber runner seams to come only in 4 foot widths. I need at least 4 1/2' width. Harder to find than I thought it would be. I was initially thinking bedliner but have heard good and bad results with it. And I like the option of easy removal for cleaning purposes, as I have two English Field Sringer Spaniels that go everywhere I go, (conditions are from sand to mud and everything between).

Next projects;
re and re all windows, rebutyle and SS hardware (replace wood if necessary). Have already purchased Black trim for around the windows (8 x 8' lengths) and butyle.
Stone gaurd front of trailer and wheel wells (have the stuff).
Deoxidize and polish body (have the stuff).

If I can help someone with any photos or advice on the work I've done, I'd be glad to help. As I have been getting a wealth of information to help me along the last couple of months from this site (first Post). Sweet and thank you.

What goes around comes around in my world!

Attached Thumbnails
7156nd8_20.jpg  

Old 08-29-2009, 03:52 PM   #2

Updated pics
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0780.JPG   IMG_0775.JPG  

IMG_0786.JPG   IMG_0788.JPG  

Old 08-29-2009, 06:45 PM   #3

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 1980 17 ft Boler/2006 Nissan Frontier
Send a message via MSN to Kathy L
Quote:
Hello

I have acquired a 1972 1300 Trillium from original owner. 1st July 2009, I've been working on it for two months now. And it's coming along very nicely. Long list of up grades now done.

Limo Tint
replaced all screens and spline
New Marker lights
New trailer and light wireing and loom
New Mud flaps riveted
New propane tank and two stage regulator/cover and plate mod
New tires (spare as well) and bearings and seals (painted)
interior light new and moded (plug and switch incorperated)
centered licence plate bracket mod
all exterior vents, ports etc. referbed, butyled and reriveted
door hinges referbed (SS, paint and holes rebuilt)
door weather strip replaced
Belly trim replaced
Stainless hardware replaced old through out
New Black Fridge
re and re water tank, replaced all water/drain lines, and had 1/2" quick connects plastic welded to tank (supply, overflow and drain)
removed tons of silicone from body and interior (man oh man)
and so on and so on

Just got my frame back from welders (new 2" coupler, Tounge jack foot and wheel, safety chains, safety chain holder rings welded to frame, reinforced frame/fish plated 1/4") it's scraped, sanded, wire wheeled and ready for paint. I am waffeling between Tremclad (cheaper) and Por 15 (expensive/do I really need it?). I prefer to spray it. Is primer really needed with a rust paint? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

As well I am searching for black rubber flooring Suggestions (canadian suppliers please)? I would like to have two one piece sections for the floor (table area, main floor area). Rubber runner seams to come only in 4 foot widths. I need at least 4 1/2' width. Harder to find than I thought it would be. I was initially thinking bedliner but have heard good and bad results with it. And I like the option of easy removal for cleaning purposes, as I have two English Field Sringer Spaniels that go everywhere I go, (conditions are from sand to mud and everything between).

Next projects;
re and re all windows, rebutyle and SS hardware (replace wood if necessary). Have already purchased Black trim for around the windows (8 x 8' lengths) and butyle.
Stone gaurd front of trailer and wheel wells (have the stuff).
Deoxidize and polish body (have the stuff).

If I can help someone with any photos or advice on the work I've done, I'd be glad to help. As I have been getting a wealth of information to help me along the last couple of months from this site (first Post). Sweet and thank you.

Hi Jeff - Home Depot has rubber matting on the roll in the carpet area... I put some in the back of my van at one time... it comes in 12' widths and you just roll off what you need.
You may also consider their stick down floating floor product in the same isle... I have steel plate in my trailer and it deals with two little dogs and our one big fella as well. Just wipes up. I sealed all the walls with rubber cove base in a complimentary colour to my walls. It cleans up real nice.
Do a search on this site for flooring and you will see other people have used it as well.
Can't remember the name at this moment. Looks like you are doing a great job... all the best Kathy
Old 08-29-2009, 08:04 PM   #4

Quote:
Hi Jeff - Home Depot has rubber matting on the roll in the carpet area... I put some in the back of my van at one time... it comes in 12' widths and you just roll off what you need.
You may also consider their stick down floating floor product in the same isle... I have steel plate in my trailer and it deals with two little dogs and our one big fella as well. Just wipes up. I sealed all the walls with rubber cove base in a complimentary colour to my walls. It cleans up real nice.
Do a search on this site for flooring and you will see other people have used it as well.
Can't remember the name at this moment. Looks like you are doing a great job... all the best Kathy

Hi Kathy

Wow I must be getting old lol. I never thought of the carpet area at Home Depot. I allways went straight to flooring in my searches. Rubber Matting 12' Widths, thats great. Rubber cove base looks nice to, will it allow the Rubber Matting to be removed for cleaning?. How did you affix it to the fiberglass wall?
Steel Plating is definitly a great rugged option, I really like that idea. Is it checker plate? and what thickness did you go with? Any Pics?
Three Dogs wow, and I thought my Egg was full with two lol. Thanks for your help Kathy.

Thanks Jeff
Old 08-29-2009, 09:17 PM   #5

Name: Larry
Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Washington
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

Quote:
Hello

Jeff--- POR 15 is the only way to go in my mind... Once applied never worry again. Less than two quarts should do it, prob less. One thing tho, if your frame is bare metal, shoot it with water, let it set a day or two to give minor surface rust to start before applying POR 15. NO PRIMER!!!! I know this sounds stupid, but that way the POR 15 will adhere the best. It is not UV resistant however, so the exposed area (tongue) should be rattle canned with cheap paint that can be touched up once in a while. (just the cheap paint will chip- POR 15 will not) Once it is set up- about two days, it is indestructable. (Just found out yesterday that it won't melt or bubble when you lay a torch on it.) -- neat stuff and well worth the money. Larry (hmmm after reading this, one would think I was selling it....)
Old 08-30-2009, 08:54 AM   #6

Quote:
Jeff--- POR 15 is the only way to go in my mind... Once applied never worry again. Less than two quarts should do it, prob less. One thing tho, if your frame is bare metal, shoot it with water, let it set a day or two to give minor surface rust to start before applying POR 15. NO PRIMER!!!! I know this sounds stupid, but that way the POR 15 will adhere the best. It is not UV resistant however, so the exposed area (tongue) should be rattle canned with cheap paint that can be touched up once in a while. (just the cheap paint will chip- POR 15 will not) Once it is set up- about two days, it is indestructable. (Just found out yesterday that it won't melt or bubble when you lay a torch on it.) -- neat stuff and well worth the money. Larry (hmmm after reading this, one would think I was selling it....)
Hey Larry

Are you a Por 15 Rep Larry??? lol. Just kidding I have heard it is great stuff. The water and set for minor surface rust before applying is a new one, but I can certainly see why (after reading there sight) and hereing from you. No UV is a bit of a bummer. But seeing as I am going Flat Black in color. I will do from the front of the trailer back in Por 15 ( so one quart of por 15 should do it / keeping cost down) and do from the front of the trailer to the end of the coupler with Tremclad (allowing for touch ups later on). Thanks for the advice Larry.

Cheers: Jeff
Old 08-31-2009, 10:28 AM   #7

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
POR-15, do it once and forget it. All that other stuff is a once-a-year job. For those areas exposed to sunlight, I'd suggest top coating with Blackcote. It's by the POR-15 folks specifically for top coating areas exposed to UVs.

Nobody would ever say it's cheap. But neither is using other stuff over and over and over... and all the time necessary.... I'd rather be camping

BUT, do know.... it will stick to your arms and hands and clothing just like it does to rusty frames. Long sleeve shirt and lots of moisturizer on your hands and protect EVERYTHING you don't want POR-15 to touch, like a concrete floor.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 09:37 AM   #8

Quote:
POR-15, do it once and forget it. All that other stuff is a once-a-year job. For those areas exposed to sunlight, I'd suggest top coating with Blackcote. It's by the POR-15 folks specifically for top coating areas exposed to UVs.

Nobody would ever say it's cheap. But neither is using other stuff over and over and over... and all the time necessary.... I'd rather be camping

BUT, do know.... it will stick to your arms and hands and clothing just like it does to rusty frames. Long sleeve shirt and lots of moisturizer on your hands and protect EVERYTHING you don't want POR-15 to touch, like a concrete floor.
Hi Donna

I will have to investigate Blackcote. As I have never heard of it yet. Thanks for another great idea.

In my research on Por 15 I did read you had better be prepared to use it. As you say it is very sticky stuff (and claen up if not prepared is a real pain / if not impossible). Point taken, thanks again Donna.

Cheers Jeff
Old 09-01-2009, 10:15 AM   #9

Washington
Talking

Quote:
Hi Donna

I will have to investigate Blackcote. As I have never heard of it yet. Thanks for another great idea.

In my research on Por 15 I did read you had better be prepared to use it. As you say it is very sticky stuff (and claen up if not prepared is a real pain / if not impossible). Point taken, thanks again Donna.

Cheers Jeff
Yeah POR 15 makes that topcoat to protect against UV... Just make sure you use latex type gloves and long sleeves when using POR 15...... Carb cleaner or brake parts cleaner will remove it from skin if used within 5 minutes or so of mistakes ( ), after that it's there for the duration.... (it's also friendlier to one's system than lacquer thinner-which works too) One note, if your floor is dusty when painting it, POR 15 won't stick to a dusty floor, just peels right off. I also found that it does not stick to fresh paint, like primer. AAhhhh the voice of experience. However, my shop floor has a lot on it. Larry
Old 09-01-2009, 03:41 PM   #10

Trailer: 17 ft Boler
Hi Jeff,

Good job!!

BTW - I just wanted to make my pitch for the ALLURE traffic master flooring from home depot. It has a 25 year warentee and it is vinyl and it floats. IE each piece sticks to the next. It is very resistant to moisture, folks all say that it is a non issue, and it is really easy to install.

Some people like to apply a trim after the fact, but I did not and I love the look of mine. This flooring comes in "planks" and "squares". It is really nice to work with. Some looks really modern and some looks like wood, like mine. check it out!
Attached Thumbnails
floor_laid.jpg  
Old 09-02-2009, 08:42 PM   #11

Quote:
Hi Jeff,

Good job!!

BTW - I just wanted to make my pitch for the ALLURE traffic master flooring from home depot. It has a 25 year warentee and it is vinyl and it floats. IE each piece sticks to the next. It is very resistant to moisture, folks all say that it is a non issue, and it is really easy to install.

Some people like to apply a trim after the fact, but I did not and I love the look of mine. This flooring comes in "planks" and "squares". It is really nice to work with. Some looks really modern and some looks like wood, like mine. check it out!
Hi Dawn

Your Allore Flooring looks great. 25 year warrenty is exceptional. Thank you for your suggestion Dawn.

I am looking for easy removal and a blacked out look. Moving away from wood grains (replacing my cabinet doors and table as well with black). I have already replaced the Kitchen light and fridge with black units. It's a theme I'm going with. Does the Allure happen to come in a black finish? The interior is the factory Orange fiberglass colour, trying to tone it down a little (little more modern look and out of the 70's lol). Don't get me wrong though I do love wood to, just not this time,unless allure comes in black of coarse. Thanks Again.

Cheers Jeff
Old 09-14-2009, 10:55 AM   #12

Hello All

I'm adding some Pics of the Frame (new paint, top capfoam and SS bolts, washers and nylocks), Stone Gaurd and Flooring (Home Hardware /found it!) completed. And if interested the Light Fixture (Home Depot) I modded with the original 120V Plug and added a switch to it.

The rubber flooring is easily removed in two pieces total, for easy cleaning and toned down that orange interior colour nicely. Does not slip or bind either. My goal has been achieved yeaa!

On to my next Projects oh ya. New Black Table, cuboards and window reseal.

I do have a question though. I have been seaching here and the internet for Pics of Spare Tire mounts for under the front reciever portion (under propane tank area and forward of it). All your help with pics or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0870.JPG   IMG_0871.JPG  

IMG_0873.JPG   IMG_0876.JPG  

IMG_0877.JPG   IMG_0889.JPG  

IMG_0890.JPG  
Attached Images

Old 09-14-2009, 07:27 PM   #13

Washington
Talking

Quote:
Hello All

I'm adding some Pics of the Frame (new paint, top capfoam and SS bolts, washers and nylocks),

Jeff-- what did you end up using on the frame???? Here's a shot on how I apply POR 15-'cause it sticks to everything. I was doing the inside roof of a 55 chev yesterday..... Larry
Attached Thumbnails
SANY1149.JPG  
Old 09-14-2009, 09:45 PM   #14

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
all that black and yellow...

Aren't you a busy bee?....

(I'll be here in my room if anyone needs me)

Tags
paint, painting