Flooring material ideas - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2015, 08:15 AM   #1

Name: Barbara
Trailer: 1977 Trillium 4500
Quebec
Flooring material ideas

Hi all!
Our 1977 Trillium 4500 came with a sheet of vinyl flooring glued onto the fiberglass floor. The edges are lifting, making it hard to open the lower cupboard doors, it's torn in a couple of places, and is just generally ugly. Thought about pulling it up (don' know how that might be) and replacing it with peel and stick vinyl tiles. Thought they'd easy to work with and might come in fun colours. Haven't had much luck finding any that look interesting. Has anyone replaced their flooring - looking for creative, fun ideas that you might share - especially if you have photos and purchase info. I'm in Montreal Canada and happy to order flooring tiles on line from anywhere! Thanks for any help you can offer!
BarbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 08:24 AM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I found that an easier way to remove sheet flooring is to make knife cuts through the material 4" apart and then peel it up in strips.

I have found that "Some" stick tiles aren't happy with the temp swings found in FGRV's and start to come loose after 6 months or so. I now use laminate or engineered flooring for RV floor updating.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 09:10 AM   #3

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Lots of great options out there, but I did cork in my Escape 19, and plan to do it some time after I get my 5.0 TA. Warm in looks and feel, very tough with a urethane finish, and fairly easy to do if you are handy at all.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ing-58623.html
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 10:53 AM   #4

Name: Gilles
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21RB, 2004
Quebec
Registry
Hello Barbara, I'm from Repentigny and I replaced the glued tiles in my Trillium Jubilee, a year before selling this summer, June 2015 for Bigfoot.

To remove old tiles I used a heat gun to strip. Use only low temperature and careful of going too near the cabinets, since these are usually glued with a finish and can become damaged by heat.

I left on old glue while assuring me that there was no elevated residues before I installed the finish.
The old glue will be used to hold up the new floor.

You can look the pic, it gives you an idea when it's over.
It's in the front, We wanted to let the bed mounted for quick trips.

I found the floating floor at Home Depot.

The floor floating it's "Allure" of "Traffic Master".

http://www.homedepot.com/p/TrafficMA...1053/100592904

You can look my reno on :

http://www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com/f...-repentigny-qc
Attached Thumbnails
2015-06-06 11.05.32.jpg  
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 07:16 PM   #5

Name: Moe
Trailer: In the market
Alaska
I've used the heat gun, too. It works well. Laying a towel over the tile and running over it with an iron (w/o steam) also works to loosen up the glue if you don't have a heat gun handy. A paint scraper or small, flat pry-bar and a good pair of work-gloves helps move things along.
Woodchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 05:25 AM   #6

Name: Barbara
Trailer: 1977 Trillium 4500
Quebec
Thanks for your message, Gilles. Your Jubilee looks lovely! How did you attach your floating floor? I know the panels click together and I'm assuming they must be glued to the floor somewhere - perhaps around the edges? - and, if so, what kind of glue did you use? After reading everyone's messages, I'm reconsidering the peel and stick floor and thinking about a floating cork floor but just not sure how to fasten it to a fibreglass floor base. Love the drawers you built! Enjoy your Bigfoot!
BarbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 07:01 AM   #7

Name: Steve in NY
Trailer: Scamp
New York
I just put a new vinyl floor in my 16 foot scamp. The jury is out on how long it will hold up, but I bought a sheet of it at Lowe's. It cost about 130 bucks if I remember right. Instead of gluing it I bought two rolls of flooring tape. It's super sticky double sided tape that is really thin. I made paper templates with a roll of paper that I had, cut the floor carefully. Before putting the floor down, I was careful to be sure there were no high spots. I removed the benches front and rear and ran the floor so the storage is now lined. I put a piece of stair molding across the top of the step down from the dinette. The reason I didn't glue it down is that if I ever find dampness I can easily peel up the floor and dry/make repairs. I have a backpackers mentality and work hard to make things lighter and vinyl seemed to be the lightest floor.

I'm just about finished with the rehab and I will be posting pictures soon. I will say the new look is awesome compared to the dated carpeting and wood grain vinyl of the original.

Take Care,
Steve
Steve in NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 07:21 AM   #8

Name: Gilles
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21RB, 2004
Quebec
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbieB View Post
Thanks for your message, Gilles. Your Jubilee looks lovely! How did you attach your floating floor? I know the panels click together and I'm assuming they must be glued to the floor somewhere - perhaps around the edges? - and, if so, what kind of glue did you use? After reading everyone's messages, I'm reconsidering the peel and stick floor and thinking about a floating cork floor but just not sure how to fasten it to a fibreglass floor base. Love the drawers you built! Enjoy your Bigfoot!
Under the tiles I removed, there was a plywood, it was not directly on the fiberglass.
After removing the glued vinyl tiles, a thin layer of adhesive remained in place, which was used to prevent the tiles from moving on the road.
Then I closed with a bead of caulking all around the floor, which I find easier to maintain, and prevents water from seeping under the floating floor, if there is a spill.

I used this renovation during a season and it was very nice.

If you have further questions, do not be shy, I and other members will answer our knowledge and experiences.

Have a good day,
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 12:33 AM   #9

Name: rick
Trailer: Escape 17B
Colorado
I replaced the carpet in my Scamp 16 with cork tiles [12x24] three or four years ago. Holds up well and looks great. I receive numerous comments.
rick in arvada is offline   Reply With Quote