Flooring question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2010, 10:48 PM   #1

Trailer: Burro 13 ft 1983
Our 83 Burro came with what I believe was the standard issue blue rug. Traveling with our forever shedding corgi the rug remains an unsightly hair magnet. I tried replacing the rug with linoleum - smooth sweeping for sure. But linoleum is a vapor barrier and the wood sub-flooring was constantly moist. Even in this environment, which is actually quite dry, moisture just does form inside the trailer probably caused by heavy breathing and huge steaming pots of spaghetti. Clearly the porous blue rug allowed floor evaporation and was probably a good choice of material for the purpose. With my wife suggesting we take up the blue rug, again, and just paint the wood floor - this would expose the sharp edges of fiberglass screwed to the floor. Not a good idea, I think.
My question is - are there any ideas about floor materials that are breathable but smooth for easy cleaning?
James Bar. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 04:44 PM   #2

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
I tore out the rug and bought Laminate with the recommended vapor barrier and have had no problems in 7 years. We're about to redo the floor again as a remodel job as the humidity has got the best of it and it was cheap flooring like .89 cents a square foot type cheap. now that I know it works I'll go to a better grade
Old 07-13-2010, 11:53 PM   #3

Trailer: Burro 13 ft 1983
Quote:
I tore out the rug and bought Laminate with the recommended vapor barrier and have had no problems in 7 years. We're about to redo the floor again as a remodel job as the humidity has got the best of it and it was cheap flooring like .89 cents a square foot type cheap. now that I know it works I'll go to a better grade

Thanks Bill for the reply. We've put in a fair amount of laminate flooring in our home and it would be nice in the trailer. The problem as I see it is that in this environment moisture does at times form on the walls and runs down to the floor. The blue rug does allow air circulation allowing the plywood floor underneath to dry. The linoleum that we tried serves as a vapor barrier and trapped moisture on the plywood. We're looking for a breathable flooring that is easy to clean of dog hair. Maybe we'll have to settle on a rug or mat thats the same color as the dog.
James Bar. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 07:23 AM   #4

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette
Regardless of the final surface you decide on, I am wondering if you should paint the floor with a really good quality exterior paint? (Prime first!) If the wood is constantly getting damp it will eventually be ruined. Be sure to get under benches and cabinets -- no unpainted areas. To leave the paint as the final surface, perhaps do a faux design on the exposed areas, like marble or hardwood? There are instructions and kits available. If you like, add a canvas rug -- no nap to trap hairs. That can be painted to suit as well.
Darnelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:20 AM   #5

Trailer: U-Haul
I would suggest you dry the wood out fully and before applying primer I would coat the wood with a product called "Penetrol". Apply several good saturating coats. This stuff really goes into the wood and will seal it against moisture and makes for a very good bond between the wood and the paint. Then prime and paint with a good grade of porch and deck enamel; use a good oil alkyd enamel.

Penetrol seals the wood and is also a paint additive that makes brushing easier. Most people who work around boats are familiar with the product. It can also be added to varnishes. It is great stuff, just don't believe the advice in the brochures about coating oxidized gelcoat. That's the only time I have not seen the product exceed expectations.

I am surprised that the top surface of your floor is plywood. I obviously was under the misconception that Burros like U Hauls had a floor surface of fiberglass over plywood.

Hope this helps,
David A.L.
David A. L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:27 PM   #6
Commercial Member

Trailer: 1988 Scamp 13 ft and 1982 Perris Pacer 13 ft
Registry
I've renovated a few trailers now, and each time I coat the plywood subfloor with epoxy paint on all sides, making it virtually impervious to water. Then top off the plywood with any variety of flooring material (just did one with cork that turned out great.) But, that said, I'm very surprised to hear that just "environmental" moisture inside your trailer could build up so heavily that it would pool up on (or under) your floor. You sure you have no shell leaks somewhere?
Robert Johans is offline   Reply With Quote