Flooring question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2012, 05:47 PM   #1

Name: Heather
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
Flooring question

I have struggled with the restore vs. renovate question and finally came up with renovate it to make it truly our own. The main thing that pushed me toward this answer is the flooring. We have harvest gold indoor/outdoor carpet. It's impossible to keep clean camping with kids and a dog! I have read on the forum that people really like their Allure flooring. Does any one have this in a climate that can get to -40? My inlaws have a brand new camper and their lino cracked over the winter. Was talking to a friend who used laminate and it buckled. These extreme temperatures play havoc flooring Any suggestions?
Farren and Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 06:04 PM   #2

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Put in a floating floor. Mine is a vinyl laminate stuff that sticks together and the weight of it holds it down and so far it has not had any problems. In west Texas we have highs in the low 100's regularly and now here in Indiana low teens, it has adapted well to the temps.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 07:47 PM   #3

Name: Tom
Trailer: none
Minnesota
Registry
my laminate floating cork floor so far has endured +100 to -30 without buckling ,cracking. I personally dont have dogs, but we finished it with a clear floor acrylic and the finish is holding up well, we have a scatter rug down and it is so much nicer to shake that out then cleaning muddy carpet out. After pulling up carpet in house, camper, I never would reinstall carpet in anything again
Hambone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:48 PM   #4

Trailer: 1975 Surfside TM14 (front kitchen)
Registry
Send a message via MSN to Scott S. Send a message via Yahoo to Scott S.
I used the floating laminate too. works slick and easy and once it's stuck together... it really stuck. it's been 3 years in temps from +40C to -40C and still looks great. think it was called Allure and I got it at Home Depot.
Scott S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 03:03 PM   #5

Name: Norm I want to thank all the Kings horses and all the Kings men
Trailer: 73 Scamp 13'
Oregon
I read somewhere that flooring like Allure can crack if you walk on it when it's below zero. Any truth to that?
Ngrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 03:26 PM   #6

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
I can't picture laminate buckling unless it was put in wrong. The floating laminate in a normal room calls for 1/4" of open space on all sides for possible expansion due to temp changes. As long as adequate expansion space is left, considering the application's size and temp change requirements, I can't see any reason for it to buckle.

For specifics about a brand name like Allure and any brittleness when cold, it might be possible to look up the mfr online and check for their specifications; if not posted, then you could email to ask them whether it will hold up to such extremes.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:26 PM   #7

Trailer: Burro 13 ft 1983
We also live in a fairly extreme environment. Like so many we didn't particularly care for the original equipment blue rug that came with our Burro and we tried various floorings. But we found that moisture is just going to form on the walls from cooking and condensation from windows - and its going to run down under the flooring most of which acts like a vapor barrier and can rot the floor. So, we are living with the blue rug which is porous and allows moisture to evaporate. For us here I think this is the best material for us to use.
James Bar. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 04:04 PM   #8

Name: Hazel
Saskatchewan
Our Ventura has that sheet flooring stuff - I call it cushion floor - its like lino but with a wee bit of 'give'. I find laminate too slippery for safety. Carpet is too hard to keep clean.

We've never had a problem with condensation (two adults, two little dogs, no cooking inside). We always keep the roof vent open at least a tiny bit and often wide open along with the windows.
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 04:16 PM   #9

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
I like the Allure flooring, but it does seem a bit heavy to me. Because I like doing everything the hard way, I'm going to make my own flooring by ripping down maple boards to a thickness that will make them lighter than the Allure but still sturdy enough to be a floor. Will tack those down to a thin sheet of lauan because the trailer floor is a wavy mess. A bit of sanding, some stain and a few coats of polyurethane and we'll be in business.
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:45 PM   #10

Oregon
We too were thinking about the Allure but what would be wrong with cutting out a piece of say 3/8" birch or maple plywood finished with urethane? One sheet wouldn't quite do it.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:42 PM   #11

Name: Heather
Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel in Sk View Post
Our Ventura has that sheet flooring stuff - I call it cushion floor - its like lino but with a wee bit of 'give'. I find laminate too slippery for safety. Carpet is too hard to keep clean.

We've never had a problem with condensation (two adults, two little dogs, no cooking inside). We always keep the roof vent open at least a tiny bit and often wide open along with the windows.

I have also been looking at Armstrong cushion step. I thought with the cushioning it would have a bit of flex and not crack in extreme cold. Did you loose lay it, glue around the edges, or glue the entire floor down? How long has it been in your trailer?
Farren and Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:37 AM   #12

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen b View Post
I like the Allure flooring, but it does seem a bit heavy to me. Because I like doing everything the hard way, I'm going to make my own flooring by ripping down maple boards to a thickness that will make them lighter than the Allure but still sturdy enough to be a floor. Will tack those down to a thin sheet of lauan because the trailer floor is a wavy mess. A bit of sanding, some stain and a few coats of polyurethane and we'll be in business.
I imagine that would look nice but do you think you will need to make them tongue and groove to keep them in place?
Old 02-08-2012, 06:33 PM   #13

Name: Hazel
Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farren and Heather View Post
I have also been looking at Armstrong cushion step. I thought with the cushioning it would have a bit of flex and not crack in extreme cold. Did you loose lay it, glue around the edges, or glue the entire floor down? How long has it been in your trailer?
The flooring was installed right before we bought the trailer about five years ago - previous owner thought it would make it more attractive. We think it is ok - sweeps and washes without any hassles. We have a little rubber mat right inside the day too, so on muddy days this helps keep the floor dry. The flooring is glued down and goes right through the camper from stem to stern.

Hope that helps.

I should add that neither of us are 'houseproud, fussy' people with our regular home and this 'good enough' attitude continues to our camping base! Camping is supposed to be about having fun, we aren't interested in wearing ourselves out doing the cleaning!
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:58 PM   #14

Trailer: 1975 Surfside TM14 (front kitchen)
Registry
Send a message via MSN to Scott S. Send a message via Yahoo to Scott S.
like I said, no worries with the Allure because it's not glued in place. the lino floors that split were glued down on the edges.
Scott S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:13 AM   #15

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
We removed the carpet from Homelet mainly because the FG floor below was getting all scratched up from sand, etc.
We have replaced the carpet with Armstrong vinyl stick on tile. So far, so good. Of course we have only experienced temps from 30 - 70 deg F.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote