Floppy door handle - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2007, 06:15 PM   #1

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
My door handle on my Scamp flops and is loose... is that easy to fix..??. i fear of taking it apart and not getting it back on!!
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 08:08 PM   #2

Trailer: Love Bug / Chevy Astro

I have heard of several members (myself included) using screen door knobs. Mine went in easily and it was inexpensive and works great. For those that think they are not secure enough, I have a question: How long does it take to remove two hinge bolts?
Bob Cupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 09:31 PM   #3

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
As I've been redoing the door hardware was wondering about the hinge bolt issue. Anyone had any break-ins with that method? Anybody got any unique solutions to secure it better?
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 09:43 PM   #4

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Quote:
As I've been redoing the door hardware was wondering about the hinge bolt issue. Anyone had any break-ins with that method? Anybody got any unique solutions to secure it better?
Disconnect the GFCI and wire it up, wouldn't work with solar though.
David Schroeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 05:10 AM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
New door lock w/key from Scamp is less than $20. It's not difficult to change out. Two screws through the outside plate and four on the inside holding the lock mechanism on.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 07:47 AM   #6

Trailer: Love Bug / Chevy Astro

David-I was thinking about a capacitor hooked to my 12volt battery. Painful but not lethal. Get up and wonder what the h*** hit you.
Bob Cupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 12:20 PM   #7

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Quote:

David-I was thinking about a capacitor hooked to my 12volt battery. Painful but not lethal. Get up and wonder what the h*** hit you.
Bob,
Do you think its the cold, windy, snowy weather that makes us think these twisted thoughts? Maybe in summer we can post sunnier ideas.
Seriously, you could fill in the screw heads with epoxy and put a high temp locktite on the nut. They would need to grind out the epoxy or heat up the nut to remove the hinge. It wouldn't be the easiest way in the door any longer.
David Schroeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 10:09 PM   #8

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
File square bolt holes in the hinges, insert carriage bolts w/ round heads. Use aircraft nuts w/ nylon inserts on the inside.

Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 07:30 AM   #9

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Newer Burros have a Hidden Hinge system. It works so well that even I can't find them

Actually, you can see them, but the door needs to be open to do so. They are on the inside and swing out from the coach at the door frame instead of from the body.

Don't really think it's too secure. Before I had them fixed so the door didn't sag, I used a crow bar to straighten the gap when it wouldn't open. All I had to do was apply a little more force and it probably would have ripped from the door frame and fell off.

My 13 had a floppy handle sometimes. This happened when the door was not closed properly and the dubiculous that went into the strike plate opening was not seated. The door mechanism was locked, but not fully seated. Have you checked that?
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 08:40 AM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I would't worry about anyone taking the door hinges off to get into a trailer. They'd be more likely to throw a rock through a window, trash the window to get in. Certainly would be faster! Or perhaps get in through an Egress vent.

Remember anything you do to the trailer to prevent bad things from happening, also needs to be dealt with by you when it comes time for repairs, etc.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote