Foam Panel Insulation & Adhesive - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2016, 11:20 AM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
Foam Panel Insulation & Adhesive

About ready to put the foam insulation back on the walls while I finish up the upper cabinets...used 1/2" 4x8 sheets from Lowe's at about $8 per sheet, thin enough and bends easily so i can contour it. Used contact cement but it attacked the styrofoam where the plastic covering was torn or exposing the styrofoam. Didn't adhere properly in some places but was almost impossible to pull off in others, which I believe was error on my part of either not using a consistent amount of glue or not letting the to surfaces sit long enough before bonding together. I have some reflectix on a roll but I plan on returning it as I really think the foam will insulate better and help with noise absorption. I watch a few professional youtube videos (not the hack kind) and saw styrofoam succssfully used by using multiple light coats so the acetone in the contact cement would flash off quickly without attacking the styrofoam. I also learned of a styrofoam adhesive made for sheet foam insulation by several companies including loctite and liquid nails. Has anyone used the loctite or liquid nail brand foam adhesive in the fiberglassrv for installing foam sheet insulation?
Johnny M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 12:57 PM   #2

Name: Talia
Trailer: Hunter Compact Jr.
USA
You've probably already solved this issue, but for gluing styrofoam to fiberglass, Great Stuff Low Expansion Foam in the red can -- the spray foam used around windows and doors which can be bought from Home Depot/Lowes/etc -- works really well. If you're wanting to glue up large panels, spray and spread it with a disposable spreader, then press your foam panels in place. You'll need to find some way to block them in position while the foam cures.
Talia is offline   Reply With Quote