Folding Boat - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2009, 07:02 PM   #1

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Does anyone carry a folding boat such as a Porta-Boat on a FGRV?
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 07:22 PM   #2

Trailer: Former Casita 17 ft owner
I carried a 10' Porta-bote on my first Casita.

Click image for larger version

Name:	500_Bimini_2.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	21364

Name:	Dscf0016_Casita_sunset_600.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	21363

Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 07:27 PM   #3

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
lets see the OTHER picture you have Morgan...
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 08:55 PM   #4

Trailer: Bigfoot Rear Queen 25 ft
That's right! The one where Morgan gets...well..really into boating! See I remember too!
Time K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 09:31 PM   #5

Registry
I'll Help :-P

and answer Lorens question at the same time
Old 07-02-2009, 02:56 AM   #6

You just had to do it, didn't you, GD?
Old 07-02-2009, 08:14 AM   #7

Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper
We carry a SeaEagle 370 inflatable.
artspe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 08:34 AM   #8

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
We carry a SeaEagle 370 inflatable.
How do you like your Sea Eagle? What is the length of the 370? Is it similar to the 380? Did you consider the Paddleski? If so, why did you decide on the Kayak versus the Paddleski? I have been looking at both and am trying to decided which style (Kayak or Paddleski) will work better for me as well as what length to buy. It's hard to decide without being able to see one up close (the nearest dealer is 200 miles away). Is the 370 adequate for two average size people?
BrianP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 08:38 AM   #9

Registry
Yes Morgan.. we are like Facebook and myspace..

you know what they say..

you can't ever take it back once it's posted

Old 07-02-2009, 03:02 PM   #10

Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper
Exclamation

Quote:
How do you like your Sea Eagle? What is the length of the 370? Is it similar to the 380? Did you consider the Paddleski? If so, why did you decide on the Kayak versus the Paddleski? I have been looking at both and am trying to decided which style (Kayak or Paddleski) will work better for me as well as what length to buy. It's hard to decide without being able to see one up close (the nearest dealer is 200 miles away). Is the 370 adequate for two average size people?

Brian,

We went with the 370 instead of the 330 because we both wanted to take the 2 dogs with us and we thought the 370 would give us more room. We have had it out (with the dogs 20# & 40#) a few times now, and it works great. It does everything they say it does and the price was very reasonable. Only complaint is 1 seat bottom has a slow leak (haven't tried to fix it yet though). For 2 people the 330 should be fine. The boat inflates in 10 or 15 minutes with a foot pump and packs up in a large duffle bag (boat, seats, paddles, pump).

p.s. It's more like a canoe than a kayak and seems like the most bang for the buck.
artspe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 04:17 PM   #11

Trailer: 1994 Lite House
i saw a porta bote the last time we went to Ruth lake. it was cool, little lady carried it all around by herself and loaded it into her truck pretty easy. i would mount it on the side as the gentlemen above did. I have a kayak on the top of my tow rig that doubles as a wind deflector, hehe those porta boats area really cool looking.
Attached Thumbnails
rig_loaded.jpg  
curtis c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 06:20 AM   #12

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Thanks for the info and the pictures.

In the past before acquiring our Scamp, we towed with a full size pickup and often loaded a 10 ft Livingston on it. It is a twin hull fiberglass boat that planes nicely with a 10 hp outboard, and also sails reasonably well with an optional sail kit, which I have and use. But it is heavy and bulky to get on top of our Blazer, as well as extending out over the hood more than I'd like.

I was all set on a Porta-Boat as the perfect solution, but now via this thread I have been made aware of its habit of swallowing its owners during the folding process. I didn't see where this was during the opening process, or during the folding process or both. Either way, I'm now more than a little apprehensive.

Soooooooo, I think I'll relegate this back to the 'back burner' for awhile longer, do a bit more research and watch for mounting evidence and increasing reports of Porta-Boat bad habits.

Tongue-in-cheek aside, I think a Porta-Boat would ride nicely off center on the Scamp's roof. My biggest reservation is its sailing ability, since I love to sail.

Another option I'm tossing around is a kayak or canoe modified to sail, possibly with outriggers for stability.
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 07:26 AM   #13

Loren,

The photos of my being swallowed by the Porta-bote were staged as humor (humour). There is no danger, danger, danger...

Never having sailed, I can't address its ability as a sail boat. As a motor boat, it is very stable with a five foot beam unless one does something stupid (as I did).
Old 07-03-2009, 09:42 AM   #14

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Trillium Outback
Registry
I have a 12' PortaBoat. Carry it on the top of my pickup. I have a cap on the bed of the truck with two bars on it. I have a third bar mounted on the cab over the doors. Motor goes in the bed with seats and misc. hardware.

While the 12 footer is only 67 pounds, I'd be wary of putting any extra weight on the roof of a fiberglass trailer.

The PortaBote is a very poor sail boat. Someone on the Yahoo California PortaBote group said it sailed like a bath tub. Yes, you can mount a sail on it. Yes, the sail will move the Bote. No, it is not like sailing a sail boat.

FYI: There is a 1" X 4" X 5' piece of wood called "Opener" that is used to hold the Bote open until the seats can be inserted.

I've attached a PDF of the Instructions for the PortaBote.
Porta_Bote_Instructions___W...pdf
1998 K2500 Chevy Silverado 6.5 Turbo Diesel, 4X4, ext cab, short bed
Curtis F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 09:47 AM   #15

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
Quote:
Tongue-in-cheek aside, I think a Porta-Boat would ride nicely off center on the Scamp's roof. My biggest reservation is its sailing ability, since I love to sail.

Another option I'm tossing around is a kayak or canoe modified to sail, possibly with outriggers for stability.
In an earlier life I manufactured Canoes. During that time I set up a prototype sailing rig for my 16’ canoe. It had lee boards, a mast step added to the floor and I used a paddle for the rudder.

It sailed very easily and I sailed it in High Sierra lakes, the ocean bays, as well as Mission Bay in San Diego. I wish I had a photo to show you but that was pre digital.

My 16’ canoe had a 36” beam. When the wind was pretty strong, I would let out the sheet so as not to tip too much. It is very easy to get the feel of it. I sold MY canoe with the sailing rig, but I now have the blue one I made for my sister (see below). Mine sailing canoe was white but out of the same mold.

Name:	Truck_Canoe_Bigfoot_sm.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	271.0 KB
ID:	21392

I’m sure the Fold-a-boat would even be easier to sail.

Good Luck and get out there.
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 11:07 PM   #16

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Curtis....is that a skin boat or is that my imagination??? Whatever, nice looking boat....and tow/trailer setup...

Russell
william russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 11:19 PM   #17

Trailer: 1994 Lite House
its a necky gannet 2. Its a lake/lagoon style kayak. its made for 2 people but you can use it solo aswell.
curtis c is offline   Reply With Quote