Folding screen door - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2017, 09:46 AM   #1

Name: Rose
Trailer: CYGNET
Nova Scotia
Folding screen door

Hello, Has anyone in forum ever made a folding screen door for their camper I was wanting to make a bifold one. If any one has tempted this could they give us some ideas Thanks
rrundle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 09:53 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Scamp supplied one on their trailers for many years. It could be easily duplicated using hardware store stock. Best way would be to see it for yourself if that could be arranged. There is a brief description and a few pictures somewhere in this very long thread: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...6-a-46387.html

I might be able to get some detail pictures of mine later if you don't get better information in the meantime.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 01:03 PM   #3

Nova Scotia
folding screen door

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Scamp supplied one on their trailers for many years. It could be easily duplicated using hardware store stock. Best way would be to see it for yourself if that could be arranged. There is a brief description and a few pictures somewhere in this very long thread: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...6-a-46387.html

I might be able to get some detail pictures of mine later if you don't get better information in the meantime.
That would be greatly appreciated Thank You
Old 03-27-2017, 01:04 PM   #4

Nova Scotia
That would be greatly appreciated Thank You
Old 03-27-2017, 04:26 PM   #5
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Gord100 is the best I've seen. He did a nice job. Gord100's Trillium Trailer Webpage

I started to build one of these but having a front dinette I decided I didn't want to lose the space. Recently I considered a pull down screen using curtain tracks but haven't thought it completely through. Some day, perhaps. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 04:31 AM   #6

Trailer: Casita Patriot
Registry
i've made a bifold screen door for my casita 16'er. before buying or cutting any wood i made (several) templates using foamcore (art board) and held together with duct tape. only after i had a shape that would open & close did i go to wood. and then there were lots of trips from the shop to the trailer to check for fit. i'm pretty satisfied with the results but if i were ever to do another i'd make a few changes. you can do a search on the casita travel trailer forum for a rather long blow by blow of the build.
Attached Thumbnails
screen door.jpg  
patrick crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 05:53 AM   #7

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Another option is to use the new model screen door that Scamp uses.. see:
https://www.plissescreen.com/
and
https://www.plissescreen.com/product...-door-screens/

You would need a square frame but that might be easier than building the entire door. When retracted it probably takes up no more space then a folded bifold door. The screen itself is somewhat resilient and can be replaced if damaged.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 08:29 AM   #8

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
For $260 I could build quite a few of them. All you need is some 1x2s, hinges and a roll of window screen. I plan on building one once I get done with our Boler restoration and will make it using dowel joinery like I did my cabinet face frames and doors. On page 8 of my restoration thread I show the relatively inexpensive tools I use http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...s-68675-8.html I might even make a few extras and sell them if anyone wants one...
Johnny M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 08:47 AM   #9

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Sorry, no pictures- weather didn't cooperate. But you'd probably get better information looking up Patrick's how-to thread anyway.

I looked up a Cygnet and it looks like it's a framed trailer of the canned ham variety. The door is flat, which should make a bi-fold door easy. Just build a thin frame around the inside of the door, make two tall, narrow screens, hinge them together, hinge them to one side of the frame, and put a magnetic or friction catch on the other side. Perforated aluminum kick panels at the bottom would stiffen the screens significantly.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 11:26 AM   #10

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19 (was 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up)
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Another option is to use the new model screen door that Scamp uses.. see:
https://www.plissescreen.com/
and
https://www.plissescreen.com/product...-door-screens/

You would need a square frame but that might be easier than building the entire door. When retracted it probably takes up no more space then a folded bifold door. The screen itself is somewhat resilient and can be replaced if damaged.
I actually like the bifold door better than their new screen door. When I have both hands full and need to carry something inside, a gentle nudge on the center will open the screen.
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 11:29 AM   #11

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Scamp Folding Screen door

The one we had in our 2000 Scamp 16 worked well asl long as the upper pivot pin stayed in place. But, the special bracket at the top got loose, worn a bit, and the door would fall out from time to time.
Eventually I figured out how it was supposed to work, and added a screw to keep it in place.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 12:18 PM   #12

Name: Linda
Trailer: Scamp 1992 13'
Washington
Patrick. Your screen door is REALLY nice looking.
Lady Scamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 06:14 AM   #13

Trailer: Casita Patriot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Scamp View Post
Patrick. Your screen door is REALLY nice looking.
thank you!

p@
patrick crawford is offline   Reply With Quote