Food and Kitchen question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2016, 03:52 PM   #1

Name: Shelia
Trailer: Wannabe owner
Texas
Food and Kitchen question

Because the kitchen and bathroom are so close, and the closet, how do you keep hair or other yucky stuff from ending up in your food, drinks, etc.?
Shelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 06:57 PM   #2

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
Let me ask my Golden. Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 07:36 PM   #3

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
First of all why would you be brushing and or blow drying your hair in the kitchen area if there is food or drinks being prepared for it to fall into?

I think you will find that the kitchen counters and sink area are small enough that your going to be cleaning them far more frequently than you probable do your home!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 08:06 PM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
I have,so little hair on the top of my head that it has not been a problem plus hair can fall out in the kitchen just as easily as in the bathroom. If I see a hair in my food or drink I pick it out or if all else fails I close my eyes so I can't see it.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 08:50 PM   #5

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
If I see a hair in my food or drink I pick it out or if all else fails I close my eyes so I can't see it.
No one has ever died or gotten sick from eating a strand of hair

On the other hand should you consider eating a clump of hair your best to consult with your cat first about what it might feel like to have a hair ball in your stomach.
Old 10-17-2016, 10:11 PM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Like Steve I am somewhat follically challenged. I live, however, with four females (ten legs among them, so you figure it out). I can say very truly that I have never minded the hair I didn't know I ate.

When camping we move our kitchen outside. That allows us to enjoy a sampling of sand, dirt, bits of twigs and leaves, pollen, and insect protein along with hair in our cuisine.

The joys of camping!

Seriously, I'm with those who say no big deal. When it's time to cook in a small camper, you'll naturally make sure the galley area is clean before you start. Outside we wipe down the picnic table before we start food prep.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 11:27 AM   #7

Name: Julie
Trailer: Scamp
Florida
Here's a solution

I used to go sailing with friends in a 25 ft Catalina. Here is how they solved the problem. They prohibited hair brushing in the cabin. If you wanted to brush your hair, you had to go up on deck.

When we camp, we either brush our hair in the campground bathroom or outside. Problem solved!
Julie and Jose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 11:54 AM   #8

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Interesting dilemma. Never thought about it except when I washed my long hair inside Peanut and it hung down into the dirty water the whole time. When we got home, I had it cut to only 3" long all over. (Besides, a 70s Shag is in keeping with our 1973 amerigo!)

We brush out and bathe our pug girls the day before a trip to reduce shedding, (or proactively induce shedding, really), and Paul and I both have our hair routines down to minimums...we don't brush over the table or while we're cooking, inside or out.

Having shorter hair has been nicer at home, too.
Old 10-18-2016, 11:57 AM   #9

Name: RB
Trailer: 1992 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Virginia
Actually, outside hair care is a great idea. If it's nasty outside, confining hair care it to the bathroom (where available - it is on our 16' Casita) also helps. I'm the one with not much hair in the family as well, btw.
steelypip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 12:11 PM   #10

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
California
Bummer

I always wipe everything down before I cook. I keep the bathroom door closed and we only do basics in the john, we go to the facilities for that. I also have a small hand held vacuum I use on the floor to keep dust down. I have asthma so must keep after the yukkies. So far I am successful. Love my Casita!
Leej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 01:52 PM   #11

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
We have an Australian Shepard so living with hair everywhere is something one just gets used to. I do have to clean the filter on the side-mount A/C unit in the Scamp fairly frequently.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 02:36 PM   #12

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
When camping we move our kitchen outside. That allows us to enjoy a sampling of sand, dirt, bits of twigs and leaves, pollen, and insect protein along with hair in our cuisine.

The joys of camping!

This made me laugh out loud! It echos my sentiments 100%.

The joys of camping........I'm saddened that this season seems to be coming to a close.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 03:10 PM   #13

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
If your worried about hair make sure you both go and get,

#4 haircuts from Syrian Barber! Damn you know I have never ever thought about hair in my food when I had our dogs, nor now that we do not have one any longer but we sure do miss not having them around. Just get a dog as they all shed, but you love em so much you just don't see it.
If hair is all we have to worry about then there is not problem!
I think if your worried about it then you should stay home and leave the great outdoors to the rest of us who like seeing what is on the other side of the Mountain.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 03:17 PM   #14

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Buy the containers of wipes made for kitchen cleanup and wipe the counter before you start cooking.

My trailer has no bathroom so I am worry free
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 06:47 AM   #15

Name: Rudy
Trailer: Burro
Alabama
Registry
You could take the positive view that you can eat and floss at the same time!
YourHighness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 10:44 AM   #16

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Oh, fine, if you're going to call yourself YourHighness, I'm going to go with YourMajesty! 8) (I love it!)

There's dog food that claims to help clean their teeth while they're eating it...why not floss and eat at the same time? On Star Trek, Voyager, Neelix made hair follicle pasta once ...it could work!
Old 10-19-2016, 03:56 PM   #17

Name: Rudy
Trailer: Burro
Alabama
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post
Oh, fine, if you're going to call yourself YourHighness, I'm going to go with YourMajesty! 8) (I love it!)

There's dog food that claims to help clean their teeth while they're eating it...why not floss and eat at the same time? On Star Trek, Voyager, Neelix made hair follicle pasta once ...it could work!
I was going to go with "YourRoyalMajesty" but thought it a bit too pretentious.
YourHighness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 05:57 PM   #18
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
I used to have hair. Shoulder length actually in the 60s......

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 06:10 PM   #19

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourHighness View Post
I was going to go with "YourRoyalMajesty" but thought it a bit too pretentious.

Not to mention that name is reserved for use by those of us who live in a Commonwealth country!

Your profile suggests you don't live in one.... but if the news story re the line ups at our consulates are any indication, perhaps you will after the election

Old 10-22-2016, 05:15 PM   #20

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelia View Post
Because the kitchen and bathroom are so close, and the closet, how do you keep hair or other yucky stuff from ending up in your food, drinks, etc.?
When cooking don't brush hair and let it fly. Wipe counter before cooking. Wipe table before setting it. Closet door should be closed so should not cause any problem. Close bathroom door if you use it during cooking. We travel with a cat and don't have much problem with hair. I sweep with a broom if necessary when I don't have electric for the little vacuum and keep a rug runner on main part of floor. I shake it daily almost. Just a little cleaning goes a long way to keeping hair at bay.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote