Food Safe Charcoal Grill - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2016, 10:37 AM   #1

Name: Randy J.
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
Food Safe Charcoal Grill

This may be a little off topic. But the warnings I just happened to read in the manual for my new charcoal grill include one stating it contains chemicals "known by the State of California to cause to cause cancer, birth defects, and other reproductive harm." Yeah okay I think, any BBQ can do that, especially if you overcook meat. And California worries a lot. But wait! They go on to say that these include "lead and lead compounds". Whoa, this is something different! The thing comes from China. China has been criticized for continuing to use lead-based paint. Every part of this thing - including the grills, has a black finish. I'm not cooking food on this thing for our grand kids.

So, does anyone know where I can get a small unpainted charcoal grill, or one that is certified food safe? Maybe stainless. Home Hardware has a "Hibachi" model that they say is cast metal. Anyone have one. Any other ideas?
Randy J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 10:49 AM   #2

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Here's a nice small charcoal grill made in the USA by Weber, The Go-Anywhere Grill. I mostly cook on propane stoves and grills, but I have one of these for those times when it just has to be cooked over coals. Nice solid build, and it is porcelain coated, not painted. Just like the big Webers. IMO, worth the $50 bucks.

Amazon.com: Weber 121020 Go-Anywhere Charcoal Grill: Patio, Lawn & Garden
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 11:13 AM   #3

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy J. View Post
This may be a little off topic. But the warnings I just happened to read in the manual for my new charcoal grill include one stating it contains chemicals "known by the State of California to cause to cause cancer, birth defects, and other reproductive harm." Yeah okay I think, any BBQ can do that, especially if you overcook meat. And California worries a lot. But wait! They go on to say that these include "lead and lead compounds". Whoa, this is something different! The thing comes from China. China has been criticized for continuing to use lead-based paint. Every part of this thing - including the grills, has a black finish. I'm not cooking food on this thing for our grand kids.

So, does anyone know where I can get a small unpainted charcoal grill, or one that is certified food safe? Maybe stainless. Home Hardware has a "Hibachi" model that they say is cast metal. Anyone have one. Any other ideas?
Have you also read the label on the bag of Charcoal you use? If you do you may not be using it to cook for your grand kids either.

Are Backyard Charcoal Grills Bad for your health.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 11:25 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Everything in CA has a sign on it that says it contains possibly cancer-causing chemicals. I suppose if you eat your grill, something bad might happen...

Seriously, I'll second the Weber. My wife insists on wood or charcoal, never gas. I know the risks, but'll I'll wager they're statistically lower than hooking up my trailer and venturing onto the highways and byways. I accept certain risks in life.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 11:54 AM   #5

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Everything in CA has a sign in it that says it contains possibly cancer-causing chemicals.
LOL is that not the truth.... some suggest the level of warnings is even higher here in BC than it is in CA.

Kind of happy that my aging eyes are such that reading the tiny warning print is not always possible
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 01:02 PM   #6

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
I agree with Jon, everything in CA causes cancer probably even oxygen as I don't think cancer cells can't grow without it
Johnny M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 01:31 PM   #7

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
California causes cancer.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 01:36 PM   #8

Trailer: Casita
California
I posted this below my wall of "warning" signs at my restaurant

Warning:
Electing Idiots to Public Office will Result in the Posting the Meaningless Warning Signs Above that no one will Read.

And yep, no one ever read it!

Oh yea, I'm from California.
Ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 01:45 PM   #9

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Lawyers will read and as soon as someone gets cancer and have consumed food that was cooked on one of those grills we will be bombarded with Tv commershals to call the law offices of xxxxxx.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 01:46 PM   #10

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
I posted this below my wall of "warning" signs at my restaurant

Warning:
Electing Idiots to Public Office will Result in the Posting the Meaningless Warning Signs Above that no one will Read.

And yep, no one ever read it!

Oh yea, I'm from California.
The problem with information posted on the internet is that you never can tell if it is true or not!

Abraham Lincoln
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 01:47 PM   #11

California
"WARNING: This product contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm."

You will find that warning on virtually everything in California and in every building (substitute the word building for product). Even Stainless steel.
"The Prop 65 warning is put on the SS products because stainless steel contains chromium and nickel ... the State of California considers metallic nickel and chromium (hexavalent compounds) to be carcinogens. In fact, they are indeed carcinogens ... but only when there is a route of exposure. In the manner we use the SS grill products, there is no potential for exposure to nickel and/or hexavalent chromium in levels that would result in a adverse response."

It was one of the dumbest laws ever written....
Old 04-23-2016, 02:00 PM   #12
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I agreed with Greg, Weber is the way to go. I carry a Weber Smokey Joe. It's about 15" across. I've had mine since 2004. Anticipating it's demise, I bought a replacement a couple years ago at Home Dpot for $30. Still made here. Might get to open the box next year as a couple of washers fixed the old one for another season. Sadly weber is now making some of the gas grills overseas. Raz
Attached Images

Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 03:05 PM   #13

California
Have you read the warning on the Charcoal bag??? Grilled food contains major carcinogens!
Old 04-23-2016, 03:31 PM   #14

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Years ago, a family member worked at Argonne National Lab. just outside Chicago They were working on the effects of grilling steak over charcoal and found out that this method did produce carcinogens and I believe some radiation too. After the test, they ate the steaks for lunch. Another example of our government at work.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 05:43 PM   #15

Ontario
The world has changed a great deal since free trade. Products we once took for granted come from dubious sources and new products and substances appear all the time. But rather than doing more stringent consumer product testing, most Western governments have cut consumer safety budgets. One exception is California. So if I can find a product that passes California standards, I will probably buy it ahead of something from China!

As for charcoal - when I used to use it years ago I'd already switched from brickettes to the "natural" stuff. But yes, any smokey cooking, especially if the food is charred, can apparently be hazardous. I'm careful not to burn or overcook. And we don't BBQ a lot. And the occasional overcooked s'more I don't think will kill anyone!

Living is hazardous to our health. In fact it will kill us! But seriously, I believe that intelligent people can avoid some of the more insidious hazards of some modern consumer products with a little intelligent research, some critical thinking,and by not dismissing well intentioned advice out of hand. Thanks for the Webber tip. I'll check it out!
Old 04-23-2016, 08:26 PM   #16

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Food Safe Charcoal Grill

Good post, Randy. I perhaps came across as flippant in my earlier reply. I agree it makes sense to be prudent in our choices and balance risk, benefit, cost, and social responsibility.

I'm not sure I agree about CA's leadership, though, at least in this instance. If everything is "carcinogenic," then nothing is.

I have the same mini-Weber as Raz for camping. I also have a 30-year-old full-size Weber at home. The coating is porcelain enamel like your oven at home, not paint, and is still in excellent condition on the big one at home.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 02:44 PM   #17

Name: M
Trailer: Formerly Scamp
Oregon
Ingredients in charcoal briquettes

There's videos and good info on the web about how charcoal is made. Hopefully you're using charcoal made in the US, not in the Amazon or other rainforests. In addition to hardwoods like hickory, commercially made charcoal has anthracite coal dust, cornstarch and lime added - that was enough for me go get a gas-fired bbq...but gas doesn't have the great taste that charcoal has...but lime and coal???
Ttocs M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 03:13 PM   #18

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
It sounded to me as if the OP's big concern was lead contamination, not so much carcinogens. Lead poisoning is serious, so I can understand.

The Weber kettle is a good suggestion, and they work great; flareups are rare, so your meat doesn't get charred by flames, and the round shape distributes heat more evenly than other shapes.

Another one I have is the EcoQue stainless steel grill, but it is not very large (the bigger model is 15" square) so it may not have enough space for a family cookout. I have the 12" for my solo camping; it can fit 2 steaks max, so the 15" is probably only good for 3 people.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 08:28 PM   #19

Name: Elizabeth
Trailer: TrailsWest
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
It sounded to me as if the OP's big concern was lead contamination, not so much carcinogens. Lead poisoning is serious, so I can understand.

The Weber kettle is a good suggestion, and they work great; flareups are rare, so your meat doesn't get charred by flames, and the round shape distributes heat more evenly than other shapes.

Another one I have is the EcoQue stainless steel grill, but it is not very large (the bigger model is 15" square) so it may not have enough space for a family cookout. I have the 12" for my solo camping; it can fit 2 steaks max, so the 15" is probably only good for 3 people.
The Weber mentioned by Casita Greg is rectangular instead of round which means that it's easier to store in a small trailer. I've got one that I've had for at least 15 years and the only part that might need replacing anytime soon is the wooden handles. I haven't used it for a while but now that I've got a trailer to put it in, it might see more use.

When I was married, we also had two Pyromid grills which look the same as the EcoQue. My ex ended up with those. It was nice and very efficient but not big enough for a family cookout.
Old 04-27-2016, 07:00 AM   #20

Ontario
Thank you all. I'm going to go with one of the Webber. I had their tech rep send me the warnings and the only one they seem to have related to the California proposition relates to "combustion byproducts" which I take to mean charcoal smoke and the nasty stuff produced by burning fat.

My only problem with the California proposition 65 is that the warnings provide information without providing the tools to evaluate the risk. The warning to me is simply a checkpoint saying, "Whoa, take a second look. Evaluate." Here is a link to a better explanation:
OEHHA Proposition 65: Proposition 65 in Plain Language!

I'll tell you now that my suspicions about some of the cheaper Chinese charcoal grills actually started a couple of years ago, seeing the paint on my 25 dollar knock-off actually catch fire. My bet is that the paint had been off-gassing long before flames erupted, giving off toxic fumes and possibly contaminating our food. I was reluctant therefore to buy another and careful about reading the warnings!