For those that have replaced the interior covering... - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-02-2009, 02:25 PM   #21

Trailer: 1973 Trillium
Send a message via AIM to georgia g
Quote:
For those with carpet interior, is it JUST carpet, no insulation under it? Would any kind of carpet do, or is shag the best option for insulative properties? It seems like carpet would be the easiest to hide the seams on, but I'm not sure I'm thrilled with the idea of shag. How hard is the carpet to keep clean?
We are currently installing carpet. Luckily we do not have to do the ceiling but the walls do go high enough that we are dealing with the curved/rounded corners. Shag over bad walls is a great solution plus it is the hottest new floor covering used right now. Now that awful shag in the 60/70s. We got a low/pile shag and are using contact cement. Putting it on both surfaces after we have cut and fit the carpet to the area we are working on. We used on long piece from the kitchen area, under the window to the door and it looks great. The curved areas in the corner top have to be done in smaller pieces. There is a nap to the carpet so make sure your pieces go in the same direction or it shows. Also when you are butting the seams pull back all the little shags on both edges so they dont get caught in the glue. So far so good but we are not done yet. Just some ideas to add to other suggestions and I don't know if we would tackle the ceiling or not. Good luck
georgia g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 04:19 PM   #22

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
What other interior covering options are out there?
Scamp's "rat fur." It's actually a marine-grade headliner material. Kinda stretchy too.
Comes in blue/gray and tan. Blue-gray on the first page, the tan is on the second page of the Scamp parts page: Scamp Trailers Carpet & Fabrics One point in favor of using something that's already being used successfully... is these are mold/mildew resistant, if that's a concern for you.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 07:56 PM   #23

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
There's also ensolite. It's what was originally on Bolers, Trilliums, and earlier Scamps. It's usually a black, closed cell foam, and is paintable (think about the texture of those blue camping pads). In the original trailers it had a white, vinyl covering bonded to the interior side, but I have not been able to find a source for that. I did have a company send me samples of three different "squishiness" levels of ensolite that is a bit thicker than what came on the Bolers, etc. I think the original was 3/16" - I had them send me.... I think it was 3/8". Figured might as well give up a wee bit of space for better insulation (I had at one point looked at a trailer that had bad walls.)

I've seen a linked web page wherein a couple renovated a Boler and did install new black ensolite and then paint it.

I like the ensolite for the brightness and wipe-down-ability.

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 08:42 AM   #24

Trailer: Compact Jr
Raya, funny you mention Ensolite. We found those blue camping pads on sale and tried to stick them in our trailer. Very difficult.

I was considering doing almost exactly what Stacy has done with her walls, but now that she says it's peeling I'm thinking it might not be the best solution...

We have a complicated wall situation. We put in "silver bubble wrap" insulation and foam board on top of that. I would love any suggestions!

More description is here:
http://thistinyhouse.com/2009/a-preview-in...-my-tiny-house/

Hillary (and Michael)
Michael M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 08:57 AM   #25

Hi Hillary!

I don't have time to search for it right at the moment, but the renovation I mentioned earlier would probably be a good resource (checking out the photo and then perhaps contacting the people). A couple stripped a Boler to the bare fiberglass and renovated it, along the way purchasing new Ensolite (from the same company that sent me samples, I believe) and installing it. There were a lot of photos. And if they could get it to stick to the curvy walls of a Boler, well...

For clues, I think the woman's name was Jenny, and the Boler started out that olive green and white and eneded up with a red, Durabak paint job on the outside, with a red light on top (she and her husband are firefighters). It was in Washington State. Heck, maybe Donna will have a link here by the time you next check in

There was another Boler that ended up with the same red Durabak on the outside that was in Minnesota - that fellow had auto people install "trunk carpet" on his walls, IIRC.

I've been enjoying your blog.

Raya
Old 01-29-2009, 09:10 AM   #26

Trailer: Compact Jr
Thanks Raya! Glad you like the blog.

Is this the thread you were referring to?
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/in...howtopic=30915

That's quite a project! I'm very impressed!

Hillary
Michael M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 09:42 AM   #27

Trailer: 13 ft Boler ( 3 trailers 71/ 72/ 73)
http://www.lizardskin.com/pages/videos.php

Hope this works....It`s my first attempt at posting a link
Looks like a great idea
lynne H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 02:17 PM   #28

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
For clues, I think the woman's name was Jenny, and the Boler started out that olive green and white and eneded up with a red, Durabak paint job on the outside, with a red light on top (she and her husband are firefighters). It was in Washington State. Heck, maybe Donna will have a link here by the time you next check in
You mean this one: crazy question..., about roll on truck bed liner...
then there's this one: Total Boler Restoration
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 04:22 PM   #29

Quote:
You mean this one: crazy question..., about roll on truck bed liner...
then there's this one: Total Boler Restoration
It was the second one I was thinking of (Total Boler Restoration), which is also the one Hillary mentioned. Glad you found it - I just didn't have time to look right then.

Now I see that you've already got Reflectix and polystyrene on the walls of your Compact, so perhaps the horse is out of the barn, but maybe it will give you some ideas or leads.

Raya
Old 02-05-2009, 10:44 AM   #30

Trailer: Boler
Hello all!! We still haven't done anything with the inside of the boler yet (life seems to get in the way!) but the boler is in the garage now and ready for us to work on it. I'm still waffling on what to do with the interior... I really like how easy it is to clean the interior walls the way it is, but it needs some work on the rolling seam areas... the door has a headliner grey material we put up on it when we were first doing the boler... and while I like it, I'm not sure if I want to tackle doing the whole boler in it and not sure about cleaning it... LOL guess I'll have to make up my mind pretty soon...
Stacy Crotser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 07:54 PM   #31

Trailer: Cadet
Quote:
Hello all!! We still haven't done anything with the inside of the boler yet (life seems to get in the way!) but the boler is in the garage now and ready for us to work on it. I'm still waffling on what to do with the interior... I really like how easy it is to clean the interior walls the way it is, but it needs some work on the rolling seam areas... the door has a headliner grey material we put up on it when we were first doing the boler... and while I like it, I'm not sure if I want to tackle doing the whole boler in it and not sure about cleaning it... LOL guess I'll have to make up my mind pretty soon...
I am about to do the inside of my Captain and I have to order in the 3m 90. Can anyone tell me approx how many cans of adhesive are needed and do I spray adhesive on both the fiberglass and the foil? Also, does it matter if the Reflectix is foil on both sides or can it be white on one side? If not, which side do I affix to the fiberglass? FYI: The Captain approx. 13'x6'

Thanks, Donnie
Donnie Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote