For those who've removed the frame from a Boler 13 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2009, 01:44 PM   #1

Trailer: 1971 Boler 13 ft
Before I ask my question I just wanted to thank everyone here for this great resource. This is my first post but I've been lurking here for several months and the information here was invaluable when my wife and I decided to purchase a 1970 (or maybe 71) Boler.

The trailer is actually in very good and fairly original shape but it desperately needs a new axle. With that along with some other modifications / improvements I want to make I've decided to drop the frame out from under it so that it's easier to work on and restore. I've read everything I can find on what it takes and it all makes sense but I'm unclear on what to expect with the center dropped section of the floor. Originally I thought that it would just stay with the body when I dropped the frame out but now I see that it's riveted all the way around the perimeter to the frame. I don't know if that's original or something that was done later.

I'm going to have to remove those rivets one way or another but it occurred to me that it might be easier if that section of the floor dropped out with the frame. What i can't tell is whether that section of floor is actually glassed in from above in which case I'd want to leave it there and remove the rivets ahead of time.

Thanks,
Russ
RussL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 05:40 PM   #2

Trailer: Boler 1300
Quote:
Before I ask my question I just wanted to thank everyone here for this great resource. This is my first post but I've been lurking here for several months and the information here was invaluable when my wife and I decided to purchase a 1970 (or maybe 71) Boler.

The trailer is actually in very good and fairly original shape but it desperately needs a new axle. With that along with some other modifications / improvements I want to make I've decided to drop the frame out from under it so that it's easier to work on and restore. I've read everything I can find on what it takes and it all makes sense but I'm unclear on what to expect with the center dropped section of the floor. Originally I thought that it would just stay with the body when I dropped the frame out but now I see that it's riveted all the way around the perimeter to the frame. I don't know if that's original or something that was done later.

I'm going to have to remove those rivets one way or another but it occurred to me that it might be easier if that section of the floor dropped out with the frame. What i can't tell is whether that section of floor is actually glassed in from above in which case I'd want to leave it there and remove the rivets ahead of time.

Thanks,
Russ
Russ:
My 13ft boler floor is all one piece, and yes it dropped out with the frame, I am no expert but sounds like it was a later modification.

I unscrewed 4 major bolts around the corner areas, then there was a line of about 6-8 smaller screws running down the length directly above the frame, one was hidden inside the closet beside the wheel well under the lowest shelf, these also screwed into the frame.
I raised the fiberglass "egg" and the frame dropped out.
realigning it up again was much easier that I expected.

Note I did not enter the "egg" while it was jacked up at either end as the floor might not support your/my weight.
steve J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 06:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Russ:
My 13ft boler floor is all one piece, and yes it dropped out with the frame, I am no expert but sounds like it was a later modification.

I unscrewed 4 major bolts around the corner areas, then there was a line of about 6-8 smaller screws running down the length directly above the frame, one was hidden inside the closet beside the wheel well under the lowest shelf, these also screwed into the frame.
I raised the fiberglass "egg" and the frame dropped out.
realigning it up again was much easier that I expected.

Note I did not enter the "egg" while it was jacked up at either end as the floor might not support your/my weight.
Thanks Steve,

It sounds like I should go ahead and drill those rivets out now. Hopefully then the floor will stay with the body and I'll get just the frame out from under.

When you mentioned the "4 major bolts" I was wondering where you found them. I haven't looked real closely yet but so far all I see are the screws going through the frame rails. I'm wondering if the differences I'm seeing as compared to pictures I've seen online are due to the fact that I have a pretty early Boler. For example, it appears in most of the pictures I've seen that most of the Boler frame rails are made from rectangular box section tubing but mine is made from "C" channel. I also have no rear bumper since the rear frame cross member is inside the shell rather than behind it forming a bumper.

It's kind of interesting to see how things evolved over the years.

Russ
Old 10-20-2009, 11:32 AM   #4

Trailer: 72 Boler American
When I separated mine, there were no large bolts or a place to put them. The body was attached to the frame only with the self drilling machine screws......through the floor into the frame top. I may add the four bolts at some piont.
Brian Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 04:01 PM   #5

Quote:
When I separated mine, there were no large bolts or a place to put them. The body was attached to the frame only with the self drilling machine screws......through the floor into the frame top. I may add the four bolts at some piont.
That makes me feel better, if not about the trailer construction, at least about my eyesight. I think when I put it back together I'll look at putting some U bolts around the frame and into the storage compartments, at least at the four corners.

Thanks,
Russ
Old 10-21-2009, 05:31 PM   #6

Trailer: 72 Boler American
Yup, I agree. I had 2" angle iron welded to my frame from front to back....Even though I think the numerous screws I replaced through the floor should be sufficient, I'll be putting four bolts at the corners through the angle iron just to be safe.
Brian Scott is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler