Formica backsplash over Scamp rat fur? - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-09-2013, 09:27 PM   #43
Name: Brian
Trailer: 13 foot 1992 SCAMP
Some sort of plastic to look like metal...covers the fur great. I am not sure why people want to save the Rat kinda looks like ummm....rat fur!

GROVER 1.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:28 PM   #44
Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Well I want to cover it before I cook inside and it gets splattered on...and stinky

deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:53 PM   #45
Name: Brian
Trailer: 13 foot 1992 SCAMP
I understand the need to cover the Rat Fur, but the trouble of making it thought is just make the Scamp the way you want it, and enjoy! Scamps are not very aesthetically pleasing in the first place, the fun part is all the customizing that can be done, and it's simplicity compared to other campers. These small campers are like pets, they start to resemble their owners
GROVER 1.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:01 AM   #46
Name: Diane
Trailer: u-haul ct13

Yeah, uhaul and I are old, a few wrinkles, not perfect, but parts of us work just fine and we enjoy the adventure! HA!
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:42 AM   #47
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
I might email Chandler, but if the screws that hold my window frame together are on the inside, couldn't I just remove them, pop out the frame cut the vinyl to fit perfect, put the frame and screws back together... doesn't seem too complex?
That's how Scamp has done it in the bathroom on my Scamp - cant see why you could not do the same.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:47 AM   #48
Name: Steve and Rosemary
Trailer: 89 Scamp 16 ft side toilet
Wow, what great ideas. I'm going to go to Home Depot, Lowe's, and Ace this weekend to take a look. The hardest part for me is just making a decision! Thanks for the idea, Brian -- I like what you used and if caulking and adhesive works, I'll probably just do that. Thanks!
SERENITY 1989 Scamp 16' Side Toilet | Steve, Rosemary, Maude Pod & Tripawd Hope | Next trip: The Weber for some fishing
Moab Maiden Voyage 03/10 * The Swell 5/26/11 * Antelope Island 12/31/11 * Strawberry Res 6/12 * Whitney Res 6/14 * Uintahs 07/15
Steve and Rosemary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:08 AM   #49
Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
No thanks to the adhesive. I want something I can remove if I grow tired of it, or if it gets damaged, or...

I'll stick with the Velcro since I can't figure out how Joy found enough space to slip hers in behind. My cabinets seem very tight, hard to get my fingernail behind.

Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:57 PM   #50
Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
It's not tough to do Nancy, as the carpeting and bubblewrap insulation both compress easily. And Yes, it's a tight fit which is good. The linoleum is quite thick and it was a little tough pushing it behind the upper cabinet while at the same time over the window....while pushing behind the lower cabinet. I just took slow and easy.

One thing I didn't mention is that when I was plotting this mod I thought I wanted something clear to put up so I purchase several different products such as: plastic covers for florescent light and I don't what else. But they were too brittle. I managed to cut the window hole but they broke when I tried to put them over the window and behind the cabinets. I didn't want anything metal or industrial looking.

I've had my back splash up for I'm guessing 10 years or so. I've thought in recent times about changing it out and putting up something a little lighter in color. So that's on my list of potential projects.

Joy A. & Lily
and "Puff", too
No. Ca. Sierra Foothills
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote