Formica backsplash over Scamp rat fur? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2008, 07:59 PM   #1

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
I'd really like to cover the rat fur in th back splash area behind our sink and stove top with an easy-to-clean solid-surface.

I'm putting a Formica (or Formica-like) counter-top in, so it'd be nice to have a matching backsplash, but laminate by itself doesn't have the strength to have a compression band holding a window in place applied to it.

Does anyone have experience putting Formica up over the rat-fur and then putting a window through it?

What do you do? Mount the laminate to a Masonite board (or other fiberboard backer) first?

--Peter
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 08:04 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Someone, or maybe many someones have used vinyl flooring as a backsplash.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 09:48 PM   #3

Trailer: 1980 Scamp 13 ft
Quote:
I'd really like to cover the rat fur in th back splash area behind our sink and stove top with an easy-to-clean solid-surface.

I'm putting a Formica (or Formica-like) counter-top in, so it'd be nice to have a matching backsplash, but laminate by itself doesn't have the strength to have a compression band holding a window in place applied to it.

Does anyone have experience putting Formica up over the rat-fur and then putting a window through it?

What do you do? Mount the laminate to a Masonite board (or other fiberboard backer) first?

--Peter

Why not try aluminum or stainless?
Isaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 05:59 AM   #4

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
I don't really have an answer to the question but I think it is interesting that Scamp slaps the shower walls directly over the "Rat Fur" in the Bathrooms or at least this is what they told me when I inquired about building a bathroom.

I wonder how it is attached and on the front bath models there is a window involved too.

I would call Scamp and ask them.

Good Luck with that!
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 07:23 AM   #5

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
I was also wanting to put up a small back spash too and was wondering what would be good to use? would one use screws? What behind the wall ? I dont want it to tall .. maybe 6" in height?
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 07:54 AM   #6

Here's how Scamp did it in a Deluxe 5th wheel. I think the mylar was put in by the owner of the trailer, and it's a good idea... but could be smoothed out a bit.
Attached Thumbnails
scamp_004.jpg  
Old 05-07-2008, 08:01 AM   #7

Is that a heavy plastic of some sort? ewww by the stove? isnt that alittle dangerious?
where the arrow is ... is what I was thinking??

Click image for larger version

Name:	scamp_004.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	13091

thats a new trailer than mine... my stove is on the other side... is there wood behind the rat fur to attach stuff too?
Old 05-07-2008, 11:33 AM   #8

Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel Deluxe
Christi,

The first owner of our 1997 deluxe used plexiglass as a ratfur protection like the picture. The few times we have used the inside stove the heat wasn't high enough to bother the plexiglass. And it keeps the ratfur gunk-free.

Peter, the backsplash is a separate piece of Formica that is caulked to the countertop and held to the wall with the wood trim screwed from the exterior. I would like to replace our countertop and curve the Formica for the backsplash as one piece. But I don't think it would work due to the camper flexing and possibly adding stress to the outside fiberglass with the screws and wood trim. If someone has done this I would appreciate hearing how it is working.

Nita
Nita F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 11:45 AM   #9

Here's one out of diamond plate. I can't see the pictures, the website is blocked here at work.
Diamond Plate Mods. I hope they're still active.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:53 PM   #10

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Diamond plate . . . is not my style. If I add too much more aluminum-look metal inside it'll overwhelm the nice punched aluminum accents I've built into the cabinet and bathroom doors and such.

Christi, modern "rat fur" Scamps have a layer of rat-fur topping a layer or two of Reflectix "bubble-wrap" insulation all glued to the fiberglass shell. Pretty much everything installed inside the trailer is pop-riveted in place through the rat-fur and insulation to the fiberglass.

--Peter
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 07:43 AM   #11

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
But peter... it's so... manly.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 07:56 AM   #12

Yeah Peter... what Gina said Actually I just wanted you to notice, the window area had been cut out around the Diamond Plate. But, I see the pictures are no longer active. Too bad, people wonder why we prefer pictures embedded here.

Fortunately, Benita snagged a couple of pictures here: Interiors - Diamond Plate Don Bowman is the owner of the Diamond Plate Casita. He hasn't been logged on to FiberglassRV since the end of last year. I see he has e-mail, you could always drop him a line to see what problems he may have run into. I figure if it works for diamond plate, should work well for formica too
Old 05-08-2008, 09:28 AM   #13

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
use a fiberboard backer.i used wainscoating(spelling?)in our scamp and it looks great.i put it over the rat fur and over the window frame.under the frame dident work,it bowed to much.
brad young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 09:49 AM   #14

Quote:
use a fiberboard backer.i used wainscoating(spelling?)in our scamp and it looks great.i put it over the rat fur and over the window frame.under the frame dident work,it bowed to much.

a pic would be nice??
Old 05-08-2008, 10:45 AM   #15

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Ask and ye shall receive
Attached Thumbnails
2475679597_9475094756.jpeg   2475679601_8fe56eeb12.jpeg  

2475679607_1f54b1e69e.jpeg  
brad young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 10:21 PM   #16

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Peter H,
There are 2"X2" sheet-metal formed, angle brackets which are used to stiffen up wooden chairs. Wouldn't they work between the counter ends and the bottom of the back-splash frame? The brackets I've seen come in a variety of finishes to compliment different wood finishes. It might then not be necessary to fasten through the fiberglass. Trimming around the window frame may be an interesting experience if the back-splash can't be sandwiched by the frame.

As you've demonstrated with your many other mods, have fun with this one!!!
Kurt & Ann K.

Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 04:30 PM   #17

Trailer: Scamp 2008 Custom Deluxe 19 ft 5th Wheel
I have a new D-19 with the factory installed full backsplash (one of the secret options you only seem to learn about from forums like this one and yahoo scampers)

It was appled over the ratfur, bubble wrap etc..

IT DOES NOT QUITE REACH THE WINDOW, a little bit of rat fur is visable around the window frame, maybe an inch or two. To make it look neat, the backsplash is edged with wood around the window area.

It is caulked at the countertop, but I can't tell how it is attached to the back of the overhead cabinets.
Lyle Brunson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 06:47 AM   #18

Trailer: Scamp 2008 Custom Deluxe 19 ft 5th Wheel
In reviewing the above post, I realized just how poor my descriptive writing abilities are. Here (I hope, this is the first time I have tried it) is a picture of the secret option FULL backsplash with optional window.
Attached Thumbnails
backsplash.jpg  
Lyle Brunson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:57 PM   #19

Trailer: 89 Scamp 16 ft
Registry
Just wondering how this turned out or if anyone else has ideas. My main concern is attaching it; screw through outer shell? With what? Rivet? Will that work? We cook in our 16 and I'd like to protect the rat fur from getting too disgusting. Thanks for tips!
Steve and Rosemary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:06 AM   #20

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Peter,

I used linoleum and only put it behind the stove not all the way across. I cut the hole for the window, pressed the linoleum over the window and simply slid the linoleum behind the upper cabinet and the lower cabinet. I did have to do a couple of notch's for the rivets.

The rat fur caused the linoleum to pooch out a little on the edges. I had some of the small white trim that is used around the cabinet door openings so I used it on the two sides and that solved the problem.
Attached Thumbnails
109_8164.JPG   109_7633.JPG  

2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp