Frame to body Sticky Stuff? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2018, 08:47 AM   #1

Name: Thomas
Trailer: Trillium 1300 1973
Alberta
Frame to body Sticky Stuff?

Now that I have separated the frame and body of my Trillium 1300 I will have to renew that sticky substance between the frame and body.
It had this black tarry stuff when I separated it. It must have worked quite well as a lot of the screws holding the body on were rusted or broken. But it was obviously yucky and ugly stuff.
Anyhow does anybody have suggestions for what to use here?
Tom Jefferies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 09:25 AM   #2

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Jefferies View Post
Now that I have separated the frame and body of my Trillium 1300 I will have to renew that sticky substance between the frame and body.
It had this black tarry stuff when I separated it. It must have worked quite well as a lot of the screws holding the body on were rusted or broken. But it was obviously yucky and ugly stuff.
Anyhow does anybody have suggestions for what to use here?
From your description I think what they used is the black colored butyl rubber tape. You will need a wider width than the type sold for putting under the window frames on the trailer. Clink this link for 2 inch wide, black butyl rubber tape from Ebay, the price is right in the ballpark with other websites but they do offer free shipping. You will need to measure for how many feet of it you need to order.

Useful hint. Butyl rubber tape of all sizes is a lot easier to handle for application when it is has been chilled in the refrigerator. When it gets warm it is very sticky and frustration to work with. You can always put a small cooler with some blue ice blocks in it next to where you are working to store the roll in between working on the various sections of the frame.

I store any extra tape leftovers in a zip lock bag in my refrigerator or even in the freezer as freezing does not harm it. That way the edges of the tape don't get hardened from exposure to the normal atmosphere. Last for a lot of years when stored that way.

I am glad you posted this question. I want to have a new frame built for my trailer and I think it is a great idea to put this tape on before mounting the shell onto the frame. I would not have thought to do that if you had not posted this. My frame got two bad spots in it not from water coming up from the ground but because it had leaks into the interior. It sat for years being used as a garden shed. The only place the water could get out was down and out underneath the thru bolts. That caused some localized rust out in the bottom of the framing tubes where those bolts were located. Fortunately the overall integrity of my frame is still sound. But I had to relocate two bolts.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 04:00 PM   #3

Name: Brian
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
I just replaced the sticky stuff with 1” grey butyl tape. I also had to replace the wood around the windows because the old stuff was rotten
Brian Joyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 05:36 PM   #4

Name: Thomas
Trailer: Trillium 1300 1973
Alberta
Thanks for the info.
I have a couple of sources that I found as well as the ebay one.
Now we just have to keep the project moving along....
Tom Jefferies is offline   Reply With Quote