free stays / Walmart camping - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-28-2014, 01:04 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Name: robert
Trailer: parkliner
Michigan
Posts: 17
free stays / Walmart camping

I'd be interested to hearing about your experiences stopping at rest areas, walmart parking lots, side streets, etc during your travels.

anybody have a regular stop they can count on, or conversely, any locations to steer clear of?
__________________

__________________
bbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 01:17 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Carol H's Avatar
 
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Posts: 11,731
Registry
Just a few of the previous threads on the topic of Walmart and free camping to get you started:

Camp Walmart Coast to Coast

So What About Camping at Walmart over night

Where are the safe and free places to park overnight?
__________________

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 01:38 PM   #3
Moderator
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Posts: 4,727
Registry
As Carol points out, this has been discussed to death already. Using a Google site search will bring up the links Carol shared, and a whole lot more. Lots available across the web too.
__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA (January 26)
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 01:47 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Francesca Knowles's Avatar
 
Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Posts: 4,543
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbard View Post
anybody have a regular stop they can count on, or conversely, any locations to steer clear of?
I'm a dyed-in-the-wool boondocker and also a lifelong Memenber of the "I WON'T pay just to overnight" Club. But my experience is limited to Washington/Oregon with a little California sprinkled in....never been East of those states with the trailer, so can't help with your Michigan location.

But if you ever get out this way, I'd be happy to share my experience/spots!
__________________
.................................
Propane Facts vs. Fiction:. Click here
Tow Limit Calculator: Click here
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 03:02 PM   #5
Member
 
David Clinkenbeard's Avatar
 
Name: David & Sandy
Trailer: 2012 Escape 5.0
Texas
Posts: 43
I will share this amusing story with you Robert;
One year at Thanksgiving I was towing my trailer as a clean restroom and rest stop lunchroom. It was getting really late when I had the bright idea of stopping for a few hours of sleep before driving on. We pulled into a small town Walmart parking up at the end of the lot, under some lights, and was parked sideways out of the way. After about 4 hours I started hearing cars parking outside close to us. This continued until finally I got up and got dressed to continue traveling. When I stepped out of the trailer the lot was nearly full and we were blocked in. I had forgotten that it was "black friday" the day after Thanksgiving and the early shoppers had rushed to Walmart for the bargains before sunrise. It took us over an hour to find and wait for the car owners to move so that we could get out and continue on our way.
__________________
David

"I haven't traveled everywhere...but it's surely on my bucket list."
David Clinkenbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 03:24 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Name: robert
Trailer: parkliner
Michigan
Posts: 17
thanks Carol, I had no idea Walmart stays were so common and hospitable.
Nice story David, I can't imagine people were eager to get out of their coveted spot in line to move their car for you!
__________________
bbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 05:35 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Posts: 3,029
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Not all allow overnight. Here is a Atlas of the Walmart's:
Walmart Atlas | Walmart Atlas
__________________
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 05:49 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
carlkeigley's Avatar
 
Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Posts: 2,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Clinkenbeard View Post
I will share this amusing story with you Robert;
One year at Thanksgiving I was towing my trailer as a clean restroom and rest stop lunchroom. It was getting really late when I had the bright idea of stopping for a few hours of sleep before driving on. We pulled into a small town Walmart parking up at the end of the lot, under some lights, and was parked sideways out of the way. After about 4 hours I started hearing cars parking outside close to us. This continued until finally I got up and got dressed to continue traveling. When I stepped out of the trailer the lot was nearly full and we were blocked in. I had forgotten that it was "black friday" the day after Thanksgiving and the early shoppers had rushed to Walmart for the bargains before sunrise. It took us over an hour to find and wait for the car owners to move so that we could get out and continue on our way.
I thought that was funny.................well, a little anyway.

I was thinking ahead as usual and I thought you woke up
to a line waiting to use your bath room and to get a snack.

But that would only happen if you had a sign outside.

Brings up an idea for a bad trick to play on Walmart campers.....LOL
__________________
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 06:57 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Posts: 4,331
Did Walmart one time only, had my little friend under my pillow. Watch those You Tube videos "people of Walmart" and decide if you want to sleep there. Did a Flying J one night, other than the Jake Brake noise because it was on a hill it was OK, but left early because I was afraid of the camper that was real close next to me would take my mirror off when he swung out. Later took a nap in a rest area. We prefer to stop by late afternoon, and want electric hookup.
__________________
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 07:15 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Bob Miller's Avatar
 
Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Posts: 7,912
Wal Mart Overnight Stays (Not Camping)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbard View Post
I'd be interested to hearing about your experiences stopping at rest areas, walmart parking lots, side streets, etc during your travels.

anybody have a regular stop they can count on, or conversely, any locations to steer clear of?
Here is about the best source of info on that topic. They also have a printable data base.

walmartrving@yahoogroups.com

BTW: In So Cal, about 90%+ of WalMarts are NOP (No Overnight Parking)
Having, in addition to local ordinances prohibiting said use, have already been over run in the past with freeloaders, beach bums, overstayers, unfortunate homeless and misc. peeps that you wouldn't want in front of your house either.
__________________
Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:42 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 6,046
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Here is about the best source of info on that topic. They also have a printable data base.

walmartrving@yahoogroups.com

BTW: In So Cal, about 90%+ of WalMarts are NOP (No Overnight Parking)
Having, in addition to local ordinances prohibiting said use, have already been over run in the past with freeloaders, beach bums, overstayers, unfortunate homeless and misc. peeps that you wouldn't want in front of your house either.
We have often stayed at Walmart (seldom costs less than $25)
Although we have seen a few "Walmart people", we have never been subjected to your list of undesirables!
__________________
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 09:00 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Posts: 24,433
HA! I have an Aunt that beats you all. My wonderful-Aunt is a multi-millionaire and could afford to pay site fees wherever she decided to land. But traveling became a past-time for her. And cheap was IN! She knew where she was going, and gray hair and wrinkles helped. But, she always scoped out the town. Decided 24 hour convenience stores and radiator shops were her best bet for FREE overnight stops.

She was always traveling from Point A to Point B for the birth of her first grandchild and only needed to stop and sleep for a few hours. Always talked to the clerk behind the counter (of a 24 hour store)... please... where can I park for a few hours of rest (never put out lawn chairs or BBQs) and moved along about the same time as the sun came up. Same for the "radiator shop" there's one in every town. Who's going to make a person move along when there's a mechanical problem.

My Aunt has/had it down to a science
__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 09:21 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Name: Steve
Trailer: Bigfoot, Trillium, Scamp 5th Wheel
Spokane Wa. and Las Vegas, Nv.
Posts: 1,312
Registry
I have great luck with Indian Casinos. They are pretty much everywhere nowadays and many have free hookups.
__________________
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 09:39 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Carol H's Avatar
 
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Posts: 11,731
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hammel View Post
I have great luck with Indian Casinos. They are pretty much everywhere nowadays and many have free hookups.
The ones in these parts usually charge a fee of under $15 but they give you a coupon for the $20 to play the slots and coupon for a free coffee and a snack for the morning. One of the casino's actually has a full RV park with great ocean views and a dump station.
__________________

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Longer campground stays Bobbie Mayer Camping, Campout Reports 42 06-16-2013 08:48 AM
Trip to Walmart D Tharp Jokes, Stories & Tall Tales 1 07-02-2009 03:49 PM
Free campsites or almost FREE Kevin K General Chat 2 10-24-2007 04:54 PM
FREE FREE JOHN PAUL EVANS Classified Archives 21 12-29-2006 11:25 AM
Walmart Camping General Chat 0 12-31-1969 07:00 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.