Freeing up old jalousie windows, cranking mechanisim - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2012, 09:17 PM   #1

Name: Mike
Trailer: Trillium
New Hampshire
Registry
Freeing up old jalousie windows, cranking mechanisim

Being the cheapskate that I am I found a way to free up all the stuck jalousie windows on the $300 1976 Trillium 1300. For $300 you can imagine it's condition. I started to work on the windows today and soon found out lubing the hinges on my camper was doing nothing about getting them working again. It was the cranking mechanism that was stuck. I didn't want to force them open or overcrank the handles for fear of breaking something. I also did not want to buy new windows. I decided to try a little "operation" on one of the stuck cranks. I drilled a small hole in the side of the mechanism close to the top. The hole was small, but just large enough to shoot some WD40 inside with the little red straw. I removed the plastic crank handle and firmly applied a vise grip to the splined crank shaft. Gently moving it back and forth it started to break free. I kept working it more and more and applying some more WD40 and soon it was nice an loose. I removed the vice grip and replaced the plastic handle and continued working the window. In about 10-15 minutes I had the window opening and closing like new. I had 5 jalousie window in my Trillium and freed them all up with this method and now I have a small hole in each crank mechanism I can oil on occasion to keep them working smoothly. Not sure if anyone else had discovered this trick, but thought it could be helpful. I'll post pictures if anyone is interested in the procedure...let me know.

-Mike
msinger919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 05:57 AM   #2

Trailer: 1971 Boler
Registry
Wow never thought about that. Great way to save a few bucks and make the cranks last longer too.

Rick
Rick Mooyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:21 AM   #3

New Hampshire
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Mooyman View Post
Wow never thought about that. Great way to save a few bucks and make the cranks last longer too.

Rick
Rick,
I was surprise how easy it was and how well the 36 year old windows worked after freeing them up. I still have to remove them and re-seal them, but at least I don't have to buy new ones. I always thought these little campers were cool. How long have you had your Boler?
Old 11-04-2012, 06:25 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I love it when a plan comes together! Thanks for sharing the information. Other owners with Jalousie windows are going to like your solution.

Yes please, pictures....
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:37 AM   #5

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: msinger919...Just goes to prove you can turn an "old crank" into "a well oiled machine".
WD40 is a better cleaner than lubricator in most cases.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:56 PM   #6

Trailer:
Good thinking on drilling the lubrication holes.

I don't like WD40 for long term maintenance as I've found that its Water Displacing ability is just water-attracting, so once it has soaked enough moisture to be saturated it it just holding a reservoir of water next to things. I claim expert knowledge since I used to run Alfa Romeos in British winters before electronic ignitions - the stuff of real nightmares, with complex starting routines.

After the WD40 has done its stuff, I find the aerosol motorcycle chain 'wax' lubricants to be the best long term product for similar jobs - it sprays on really thin through a tube (to penetrate chain links) but it has a volatile solvent that evaporates to leave a grease behind. Not the neatest product to use though.
Andrew Gibbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:21 PM   #7

Registry
Hi Mike I am on my second Boler, the first I co-owned with my son for 3 years and have gifted it to him and bought my own project Boler this summer. It is getting a total rebuild and custom interior. What are you useing to replace the ensolite? I am going to use Reflectix insulation but have not decided what to use on top of it yet. I dont want to use the Rat Fur or anything like that but will look around this winter for a better interior covering.
Old 11-04-2012, 05:01 PM   #8

New Hampshire
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Mooyman View Post
Hi Mike I am on my second Boler, the first I co-owned with my son for 3 years and have gifted it to him and bought my own project Boler this summer. It is getting a total rebuild and custom interior. What are you useing to replace the ensolite? I am going to use Reflectix insulation but have not decided what to use on top of it yet. I dont want to use the Rat Fur or anything like that but will look around this winter for a better interior covering.
Rick, My ensolite is in pretty good shape so I am going to keep it, I think. It has separated from the fiberglass in the corners, but I am hoping I can stretch it and contact cement it back in place. I just removed the back window to replace the wood and re-seal it. We will see how the ensolite stretching goes when I replace it. This is my first FG camper.
Old 11-04-2012, 05:03 PM   #9

New Hampshire
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Gibbens View Post
Good thinking on drilling the lubrication holes.

I don't like WD40 for long term maintenance as I've found that its Water Displacing ability is just water-attracting, so once it has soaked enough moisture to be saturated it it just holding a reservoir of water next to things. I claim expert knowledge since I used to run Alfa Romeos in British winters before electronic ignitions - the stuff of real nightmares, with complex starting routines.

After the WD40 has done its stuff, I find the aerosol motorcycle chain 'wax' lubricants to be the best long term product for similar jobs - it sprays on really thin through a tube (to penetrate chain links) but it has a volatile solvent that evaporates to leave a grease behind. Not the neatest product to use though.
Andrew, so do you think I should use the wax based lube on these now that I have them working again?
Old 11-04-2012, 05:07 PM   #10

New Hampshire
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I love it when a plan comes together! Thanks for sharing the information. Other owners with Jalousie windows are going to like your solution.

Yes please, pictures....
Hi Donna, I am going to get some pics up soon. I have been working on it alot and every time I think about pics it is too dark. Not much daylight up here in NH this time of year. Maybe I can get he wife to reminl me :>)
Old 11-04-2012, 05:12 PM   #11

New Hampshire
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S. View Post
Hi: msinger919...Just goes to prove you can turn an "old crank" into "a well oiled machine".
WD40 is a better cleaner than lubricator in most cases.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf, yeah sounds like there are better options to keep them operating. I don't think the WD will be in there long as I could see it leaking out the bottom of the crank case as I squirted it in the hole I drilled. I like the idea of was based lube going forward. What do you think?
Old 11-04-2012, 05:19 PM   #12

Registry
Or get the wife to take pics as you work.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:58 PM   #13

Trailer:
I like the motorcycle grease product for long-term protection, but that is just my bias.

I want to make clear that I am NOT suggesting that you get your wife to take photos on one side while you are spraying the motorcycle chain grease from the other side......
Andrew Gibbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:02 PM   #14

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Gibbens View Post
I want to make clear that I am NOT suggesting that you get your wife to take photos on one side while you are spraying the motorcycle chain grease from the other side......
I bet if you did, you'd only get one window done before you got beaned with the camera
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:39 PM   #15

New Hampshire
Registry
Jalousie Window Crank Pics

The attached pics show where I drilled the hole for lubrication and freeing up the stuck windows. The hinges and panes themselves were not frozen up. I removed a couple e clips from the crank arms and could open and close the window by hand though they worked better with a little lubrication. I used a pair of channel lock plyers to gently, but firmly, loosen up the cranks. Be careful not to strip the spines off the crank shaft of you may have difficulty putting the handles back on. As long as the plyers don't slip you should be ok. This worked really well for me and I am glad I don't have to buy new windows. I will probably have some trim and seals left over if anyone would be interested. I'll post what I have when I get to that point.
Attached Thumbnails
jalousie window drill.jpg   camper 012.jpg  

jalousie window e clip.jpg  

Tags
windows