Freezer cold, fridge Not - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2011, 09:10 PM   #1

Name: Greg
Trailer: 1977 17' Boler
Saskatchewan
Freezer cold, fridge Not

Hi all,

Any and all ideas would be appreciated.

I have been trying everything that I know to fix my friend's vintage fiberglass fridge. In 2009, the old fridge up and died a slow death. A new Dometic RM2354 was installed by a dealer. Jerry has always had a problem with the fridge, and it has spent many a week in the repair shop. The freezer will to get to -15 C (5 F) and will even get colder down to -24 C (-11 F) but the fridge if it ever gets warmed up will take hours and hours to cool down. The vents were open todayand the temp outside was 32 C (90F). The fridge started out at 1.5 C (34.7F) and as the day warmed up so did the fridge. The inside of the fridge ended up at 10 C (50F) and the freezer stated at a temp between -18 Cand 15C. I have moved the thermister upand I have moved the thermister down and have not seen any difference.

I am no expert here. But if the freezer is staying cold and at a pretty constant temp, then I am not to assume that the upper coils are getting proper ventiation . It seems to me that either the thermister is not working, or could it be the control board. The fridge just seems slow to anticipate a load.

Boler77 Greg
Boler77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:42 AM   #2

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
This might help Refrigerator Not Cold
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:09 AM   #3

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
I had the same problem in my big 5th wheel while living in it in Texas the freezer was ice cold and as the day grew hotter and when the sun was beating on the west side ( the fridge side) you refrigerator would not cool enough to keep the food at a safe temp, after cleaning coils and adjusting the controls I finally gave up and started using the Extreme cooler.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 07:25 AM   #4

Trailer: 13 ft Boler and 17 ft Boler
I haven't been using the trailer much this summer but did notice that things (beer)weren't staying cool while in the fridge as the trailer sat in my driveway. Freezer compartment was OK. As I have a short trip coming up I figured it was about time to get around to it and add a fan or two to help keep things cool. I knew about this trick and your recent enquiry prompted me to get going on the project.

Following this guys advice

I added an inexpensive computer fan ($1.00) fan in the outside compartment yesterday. I simply tapped into the existing 12 volt wiring that was feeding the refrigerator, wedged the fan in, pointing up to blow air over the coils and out the top.. Temperature here hit 30C (85F) and the trailer was sitting in the direct sun most of the day.

The improvement in the performance of the fridge was very noticable as the beverages were cold when I got home at 7pm. I will make the installation permanent with the addition of a rocker switch and/or some type of thermostat control. I am now either going to look for a fan for the interior or see if I can wire something up directly to my battery.

The fans I am using draw 0.25 amps which my system can handle as the solar array is constantly recharging. If you are not constantly charging your battery then you need to take this constant draw into consideration.
kevin61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge