Fresh water leak in my Scamp 19D - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2016, 02:31 PM   #1

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Fresh water leak in my Scamp 19D

I am in the process of replacing the fresh water pump intake screen after I found water dripping from between the grey water tank mounting flange and the Scamp floor. Upon investigation, I found water around the fresh water pump. The drip became visible when I was changing the level of the Scamp, connecting to the truck in a slightly inclined driveway. The leak was very slow and it was on the pump intake side, so low pressure. Inspecting the screen I found that screen housing was cracked where the barbed connection is made.

One contributor may have been high stress from the hose clamp, another, more probable contributor is the pump vibration on its rubber mount which stresses the barb connection.

This is what I bought:
http://www.amazon.com/SHURflo-255-32...ilpage_o00_s00
as a replacement for the one on the left, not made any more:
Twist-on Strainers

I hope the replacement is more robust, I should have it tomorrow.

I am posting this for info and an encouragement to others to go after any little leaks with passion, so we read less about rotten floors. The crack in the screen housing looked old, but was small and I was lucky to notice it.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 03:18 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Paul
You can go with a threaded strainer next to the pump and attach a screw in antifreeze pick up in between the screen and the FW tank. That way the screen gets winterized with the pump.
http://www.amazon.com/SHURFLO-255-31...rflow+strainer
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 05:18 PM   #3

Colorado
Hi Eddie, I always pour antifreeze in the fresh water tank after I drain everything, then run the pumps, to get it into both of them and their respective screens (the first one is next to the FW tank, the second one is the shower water transfer, which is on the outside under the shower and sink drain). Paul
Old 04-18-2016, 06:51 PM   #4

Colorado
Follow up: The replacement fresh water intake screen arrived and installed without problems, but I had to raise the water pump by 1/2 inch from the floor, so the screen can be removed for cleaning. It will probably last the lifetime of the Scamp, but I thought it would better to have that option.

Tags
scamp