Fresh Water Tank.... - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-13-2015, 09:40 AM   #29

Name: Bat Dude
Trailer: Scamp
Michigan
Relative Newbies with our Scamp.

We have been on the road for nearly 60 days at this point.

We tried the Brita and results were very disappointing.

Seemed to not do a thing for taste of the water at one RV park.
Many campers on the road suggested the Walmart brand external filter on the input freshwater line. Comes in packs of 2.

We do continue to have a plastic taste in our new Scamp even with filtering. Assuming the flex plastic tubing may be responsible for that.

Since the plasticizers and Bisphenol A (BPA) in can linings are implicated in all sorts of health issues I need to re-think what we should do.
Re plumbing with PVC likely is not good as it is not flexible and may crack while traveling and not easy to repair/replace.

Old 03-13-2015, 10:10 AM   #30

Name: Darral
Trailer: Scamp Standard 13' 2010
Tennessee
Why do we carry bottled water to drink AND make coffee from? If you've seen some of the stuff that comes out of the faucets I've turned on at some of the campgrounds, you wouldnt trust your simple charcoal filter either to drink from!

Maybe the bottle water AINT no better, but it looks good and clear (and it makes my coffee taste the same: 'DonnaD') and gives me peace of mind. That's all I need.

Old 03-13-2015, 10:54 AM   #31

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
To get rid of the bad taste sometimes found with new RV plumbing I rinse out the entire system with a solution of 1 cup bleach to 10 gallons of fresh water, followed by a through fresh water rinse. I do this every time I install new plumbing of any kind in an RV. Works for moi.
Old 03-13-2015, 12:06 PM   #32

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
I use the water tanks in my trailer for showers, dish washing and toilet, but I don't use it for drinking water.

When on the road you are going to find water quality varies greatly from location to location. Some of it may be from private wells and in that case you have no way on knowing when the the last time the water was actually tested. In some cases it will smell and look bad right off the bat making it very unappealing for drinking. I once took on water that looked and smelled ok when filling the tank & I didn't drain it out completely once home as I was leaving in a couple of days again. The weather was hot at the time and when I first turned on the tap I was very sorry I did not drain and flush out the tank, due to the high sulphur content of the water.

I start out trips with water from home in large milk jugs that I freeze and use as ice blocks in my drink cooler and then use for drinking water once they melt. When on the road I will refill those jugs at places I believe the water to be safe, although to be honest who really knows but so far its a system that has worked for me. Its not a big problem to carry my drinking water separate as the quantity of drinking water I go through is far less than the quantity of wash water I use daily.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 12:46 PM   #33
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: Escape 21; (formerly Casita LD 17 & 16)
Texas
Registry
Also, I find it easier to fill the tea kettle from a jug than pumping it from the fresh water tank. Saves the battery for pumping water to my shower.

I carry a plastic milk crate with four one-gallon jugs of drinking water. It travels in the shower floor of our Casita, along with the small basket containing our water hoses and (water) pressure regulator.
Mary F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 01:39 PM   #34

Name: Rich & Linda
Trailer: Amerigo
Indiana
Cool hose

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatDude View Post
Relative Newbies with our Scamp.

We have been on the road for nearly 60 days at this point.

We tried the Brita and results were very disappointing.

Seemed to not do a thing for taste of the water at one RV park.
Many campers on the road suggested the Walmart brand external filter on the input freshwater line. Comes in packs of 2.

We do continue to have a plastic taste in our new Scamp even with filtering. Assuming the flex plastic tubing may be responsible for that.

Since the plasticizers and Bisphenol A (BPA) in can linings are implicated in all sorts of health issues I need to re-think what we should do.
Re plumbing with PVC likely is not good as it is not flexible and may crack while traveling and not easy to repair/replace.
what type of hose are using they make special hose so you not not get the taste and they do make flexable water pipe too
Old 03-13-2015, 02:57 PM   #35

Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
Quote:
Originally Posted by global2edg View Post
When I sterilized the lines, I did not close the water heater off. Is that the correct procedure?
That is what I've always done. I pour a 3 gallon bucket of water mixed with 1/4C of bleach per 15 gallons of water into the fresh tank. Fill the tank up with the hose, run all the faucets and the toilet till you get the bleached water through, I go by smell. Let it sit for 3 or more hours, flush it out a few times, including pulling the plug on the HW tank, running the faucets each time till I can't smell the bleach any more.
I do it at opening in the spring and again for the fall season.
Old 03-13-2015, 03:55 PM   #36

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
water test

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
I use the water tanks in my trailer for showers, dish washing and toilet, but I don't use it for drinking water.

When on the road you are going to find water quality varies greatly from location to location. Some of it may be from private wells and in that case you have no way on knowing when the the last time the water was actually tested. In some cases it will smell and look bad right off the bat making it very unappealing for drinking. I once took on water that looked and smelled ok when filling the tank & I didn't drain it out completely once home as I was leaving in a couple of days again. The weather was hot at the time and when I first turned on the tap I was very sorry I did not drain and flush out the tank, due to the high sulphur content of the water.

I start out trips with water from home in large milk jugs that I freeze and use as ice blocks in my drink cooler and then use for drinking water once they melt. When on the road I will refill those jugs at places I believe the water to be safe, although to be honest who really knows but so far its a system that has worked for me. Its not a big problem to carry my drinking water separate as the quantity of drinking water I go through is far less than the quantity of wash water I use daily.
A friend of ours owns a campgrounds in our area and he told me that they are required by law to have their well tested annually by law.
The test is to insure the water meets health standards and not for taste. Also there are different standards for commercial wells than residential wells such as minimum depth ,flow rate, filtering,etc etc. I am not sure if this is standard across all 50 States
but it should. be. IMHO .
Old 03-13-2015, 05:15 PM   #37

Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Ooops, a small Boo-Boo and a Reference

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
To get rid of the bad taste sometimes found with new RV plumbing I rinse out the entire system with a solution of 1 cup of bleach to 10 gallons of fresh water, followed by a through fresh water rinse. I do this every time I install new plumbing of any kind in an RV. Works for moi.
Sorry, I originally wrote 1 part bleach when it should have said 1 cup of bleach to 10 gallons of water

Here's a reference from a good source, see item #2.

https://www.clorox.com/dr-laundry/bl...g-water-tanks/
Old 03-13-2015, 06:01 PM   #38

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
We use a plastic 5 or 6 gallon thermal jug for drinking water, you know the orange kind you see used by construction and road crews. Mostly because we like ice water and the hard white plastic liner does impart less (like none) of a plastic taste or aroma to the water. We also like being able to open it and scoop some ice out with a cup, some beverages are simply better with a little ice in them.

Water tanks are certainly good in terms of sanitary, they are not porous so they don't hold bacteria if rinsed and maintained BUT in order to store 12 gallons of water in a flat bottom, square tank it does have to be more flexible to avoid stress cracking. I think that flexible type of plastic is a bit more prone to taste transfer. Would certainly not hesitate to drink it but don't mind having the extra jug in the car as "first choice" for drinking water.