Fresh Water Tank.... - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-04-2015, 11:09 AM   #1
Member
 
Name: Ralph
Trailer: SCAMP 13
Kentucky
Posts: 71
Fresh Water Tank....

I tend to agree with not drinking or cooking with the water from the fresh water tank. HOWEVER...
Why do we have a fresh water tank if we are not able to use the water from it??? I can only assume we ONLY wash with this water???
Is it something about the plastic? or the tank itself?
I have read of those who carry their water in plastic containers... and some mods with pumps going to outside portable plastic containers... I can't see the difference here!
Is it we assume that the campground water is contaminated?
How about if I filled the fresh water tank with "filtered" water from the campsite source?
What about having something like a "Brita" container to filter the water (from the fresh water tank) as we dispense it to drink?
Or... just filter the water as we use it?
It just is seemingly contradictory to have that tank... then carry gallons and gallons of bottled water or other containers of water???? This puzzels me!
Thanks
Ralph & Peggy
__________________

__________________
ralphieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 11:23 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Glenn Baglo's Avatar
 
Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Posts: 4,369
Why do people buy and drink water from bottles instead of from the tap?
If you flush your tank and water lines with fresh water with chlorine ( bleach ) added, and do that a couple times a year, your only problem will likely be the taste of the local water.
Since Nestle fills their bottles with water from Hope, B.C., I'll get mine from the tap.
__________________

__________________
What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
Glenn Baglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 11:50 AM   #3
CPW
Senior Member
 
CPW's Avatar
 
Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Flori-duh!
Posts: 934
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Why do people buy and drink water from bottles instead of from the tap?
If you flush your tank and water lines with fresh water with chlorine ( bleach ) added, and do that a couple times a year, your only problem will likely be the taste of the local water.
Since Nestle fills their bottles with water from Hope, B.C., I'll get mine from the tap.
And so does Zephyrhills in Florida. Their water comes from the municipal water supply, is charcoal filtered, and bottled. Yet people buy it by the carload because they have convinced themselves it is better or healthier.
Furthermore, Glenn is 100% correct about sanitizing. Having worked in public water supply for over 20 years, I can tell you that I have seen some stuff come out of water mains that would convince you that the fresh water tank on your trailer is clean by comparison. You may not like the taste, but any water being supplied to the public in Canada or the U.S. is safe to drink. If any campground were supplying unsafe water, the health authorities on either side of the border would be all over them like white on rice.
__________________
CPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 11:51 AM   #4
Member
 
Name: Ralph
Trailer: SCAMP 13
Kentucky
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Why do people buy and drink water from bottles instead of from the tap?
If you flush your tank and water lines with fresh water with chlorine ( bleach ) added, and do that a couple times a year, your only problem will likely be the taste of the local water.
Since Nestle fills their bottles with water from Hope, B.C., I'll get mine from the tap.
Thanks Glenn!
I tend to agree with you... as long as we flush the tank periodically!

I rented a 32 ft. RV a couple of years ago for 10 days. I agreed with the warnings to NOT drink from the fresh water tank... Who knew what the previous renters did? Or wether or not they were careful with mixing or storing black water hoses or gray water hoses with fresh water hoses?????
__________________
ralphieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 11:52 AM   #5
Member
 
Name: Ralph
Trailer: SCAMP 13
Kentucky
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
And so does Zephyrhills in Florida. Their water comes from the municipal water supply, is charcoal filtered, and bottled. Yet people buy it by the carload because they have convinced themselves it is better or healthier.
Furthermore, Glenn is 100% correct about sanitizing. Having worked in public water supply for over 20 years, I can tell you that I have seen some stuff come out of water mains that would convince you that the fresh water tank on your trailer is clean by comparison. You may not like the taste, but any water being supplied to the public in Canada or the U.S. is safe to drink. If any campground were supplying unsafe water, the health authorities on either side of the border would be all over them like white on rice.
Thanks Carl... I agree!
__________________
ralphieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 12:30 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Jon Vermilye's Avatar
 
Name: Jon
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Oswego, NY
Posts: 1,407
Registry
Since I travel for long trips, my fresh water tank sometimes has fairly "old" water in it. Doing a chlorine soak while traveling is a bit difficult, at least when dry camping. My solution has been to add a sink mounted filter for cooking, although most of the time I use cheap gallon jugs of generic water, at least for coffee or tea. It is also handy for "bad tasting" campground water.
Attached Thumbnails
ASF_6485.jpg  
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 09:21 AM   #7
Member
 
global2edg's Avatar
 
Name: Eileen
Trailer: 2015 Casita SD 17
Florida
Posts: 87
We fill our tank with the water that comes through the Camco filter. We are usually hooked up to a water supply at our campground. We also use a Brita pitcher for drinking water. So when hooked up, drinking water is double filtered. We've been fulltiming for 4 months, and no sickness! At the three month mark, I bleached all the lines and the tank.
I do have a question about the hot water though. When I sterilized the lines, I did not close the water heater off. Is that the correct procedure?
__________________
global2edg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 09:37 AM   #8
Member
 
Name: George
Trailer: 1997 16' Scamp
Michigan
Posts: 58
Drink water from the fresh water tank? Not us. We fill gallon jugs from campground tap water and pour it through a Brita filter.
How would a person clean a fresh water tank? Maybe run some chlorinated water through it?
We use the tank water for cleanup and the stool sprayer.
__________________
varmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 10:14 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Name: Pat
Trailer: Escape 2013 19 ft
California
Posts: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphieboy View Post
I tend to agree with not drinking or cooking with the water from the fresh water tank. HOWEVER...
Why do we have a fresh water tank if we are not able to use the water from it??? I can only assume we ONLY wash with this water???
Is it something about the plastic? or the tank itself?
I have read of those who carry their water in plastic containers... and some mods with pumps going to outside portable plastic containers... I can't see the difference here!
Is it we assume that the campground water is contaminated?
How about if I filled the fresh water tank with "filtered" water from the campsite source?
What about having something like a "Brita" container to filter the water (from the fresh water tank) as we dispense it to drink?
Or... just filter the water as we use it?
It just is seemingly contradictory to have that tank... then carry gallons and gallons of bottled water or other containers of water???? This puzzels me!
Thanks
Ralph & Peggy
I have to carry extra 20 gal because water tank is too small . That gives me 40gal good for 5 days without hookups . We do use our shower every night . We bring separate 3 gal which has a dolphin hand pump to get water out for drinking and cooking . Also good for 5 days . We get the water in the 3 gal from home which we have a water distiller hooked up a spearate faucet at sink and to our ice maker . If we go to a campground with water hookups incoming water we filter and just bring our 3 gal for drinking etc. .
__________________
LindaandPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 10:30 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Name: Pat
Trailer: Escape 2013 19 ft
California
Posts: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaandPat View Post
I have to carry extra 20 gal because water tank is too small . That gives me 40gal good for 5 days without hookups . We do use our shower every night . We bring separate 3 gal which has a dolphin hand pump to get water out for drinking and cooking . Also good for 5 days . We get the water in the 3 gal from home which we have a water distiller hooked up a spearate faucet at sink and to our ice maker . If we go to a campground with water hookups incoming water we filter and just bring our 3 gal for drinking etc. .
Also would like to introduce ourselves Pat and Linda . This is our 1st post here . We love all the good idea's and fiberglass trailers . It seems like a good bunch of people .
__________________
LindaandPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 10:54 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Posts: 594
Registry
We have a 17' Bigfoot and can carry 28 gal. in our fresh water tank. We use it for cooking, washing dishes, taking showers, hand washing, and flushing the toilet. It's not so much that we worry about how sanitary the water in a campground might be, but rather how bad it can taste. For example, if you travel in the Southwestern states you'll know what I mean - the water in that part of the country can be very alkaline and "soapy" tasting. It can also upset your stomach too. There's a reason so many people in NV, UT, AZ, and NM have filtration systems in their homes and why you see so many places there where you can buy or refill 3 gal. jugs of purified water.

So we carry about 5-6 gal of water in our tow vehicle. We have 3 gal. in a good square water container that has a spigot on it which we usually leave outside on our picnic table and use for filling the teapot, etc. We bring a one gal. jug into the trailer to have handy for getting a drinking glass of water or that sort of thing. We do a taste test on the campground water and if it has no off tastes, we'll refill our jugs with it. If it's yucky tasting, we refill from one of those water dispensing machines at a supermarket. As with so many things about camping, and RVing, everyone will have different wants and needs!
'
PS - welcome to the forum, Linda and Pat!
__________________
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 02:43 PM   #12
Member
 
Name: rick
Trailer: scamp 16 [front bath]
Colorado
Posts: 35
WATER TANKS

I use the water in my twin 12 gallon water tanks for everything. For drinking water, ice making water, and coffee water, I run it through a PUR water filter [rated better than Britta]. I think this is much easier than moving around jugs of water from some other source.
Rick
__________________
rick in arvada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 03:27 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Radar1's Avatar
 
Name: Dave (and/or John)
Trailer: Scamp 16 SD std layout 6
Georgia
Posts: 766
Registry
I use the water from our fresh water tank whenever we don't have a city water hookup and as we travel on the road. I flush and sanitize it as needed. I also carry a couple extra jugs when on long trips where water will be scarce and top up my fresh water tank as needed.
I consider the fresh water tank as a useful and convenient way to carry and use water. I might have to follow Rick's lead and add another 12 gallon tank in my Scamp for those trips out West. Seems like water is getting scarce, especially at some of the CA state parks I've been researching.
__________________
John-Dave and Marilyn
Sharpsburg, GA
04 Dodge Dakota V-8 and 17 Dodge Durango V-6
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 03:40 PM   #14
Member
 
Name: rick
Trailer: scamp 16 [front bath]
Colorado
Posts: 35
WATER TANKS

Forgot to mention, I'm using the 7 cup PUR pitcher, not an inline gizmo that filters everything. The size of the pitcher is small enough that it is easy to keep on the counter for easy access. I use two filters a season.
Rick
__________________

__________________
rick in arvada is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Auxiliary Fresh Water Tank, Transferring Water Adrian W General Chat 0 09-05-2010 03:36 PM
13CT Uhaul Fresh Water Tank Keith K Modifications, Alterations and Updates 2 03-26-2009 07:10 AM
can anyone out there tell me how you access the fresh water tank on a verna crowell Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 8 09-27-2008 07:03 PM
Trouble adding water to a fresh water tank Dan Tracy Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 1 05-05-2008 09:11 PM
Larger Fresh water Tank Ideas Steve Rosenberg Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures 8 12-15-2007 07:36 AM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.