Fresh Water Tank Woes - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2016, 09:41 PM   #1

Name: P
Trailer: Casita
Washington
Fresh Water Tank Woes

I had water on the floor in the fresh water compartment on my 2012 Casita SD. It seemed to take a while to build up and I felt drips around where the big intake hose connected to the tank. I took it into a repair place where I'd done business before. It's an hour one way to that place.

After an hour, they said it was a stuck overflow valve (I had to come home and read up on that, and I wonder if the Casita even has such a thing) and that they had unstuck it and also added plumber's tape and tightened things. I paid the bill and brought it home. Another hour gone.

I just went out and found a puddle of water moving across the floor! Any ideas?

It does not leak when hooked up to water.
slowpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 09:56 PM   #2

Name: Frank
California
Quick call Casita for advice.
Old 07-28-2016, 02:36 AM   #3

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpat View Post
I had water on the floor in the fresh water compartment on my 2012 Casita SD. It seemed to take a while to build up and I felt drips around where the big intake hose connected to the tank. I took it into a repair place where I'd done business before. It's an hour one way to that place.
After an hour, they said it was a stuck overflow valve (I had to come home and read up on that, and I wonder if the Casita even has such a thing) and that they had unstuck it and also added plumber's tape and tightened things. I paid the bill and brought it home. Another hour gone.
I just went out and found a puddle of water moving across the floor! Any ideas?
It does not leak when hooked up to water.
I just finished installing a deck plate to the water tank on my '06 SD17. I removed the FG street side seat for easy access, about 10 screws. I saw nothing but a filler and overflow line from the tank to the outside filler, no valves. Have to ask, after the water is cleaned up, does it come back again with the trailer just sitting or only after being towed. If it happens only sitting you have something below water line leaking.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 07:36 AM   #4

Name: P
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankcfx View Post
Quick call Casita for advice.
Good idea, and I just got off the phone. They were very helpful. The Casita has no valve. It has a hose. Kind of what I suspected. I shall be calling the RV place when it opens.
slowpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 10:10 PM   #5

Name: Ray
Trailer: Bigfoot 17'
New Mexico
Raymound

There is a diverter valve mounted in line near the tank on some of these.
It is a brass valve. I have had one of those do a slow leak for a while before I discovered it. Check that. The incoming hose is mounted high on the tank
and if the water level in the tank is below that intake and still leaks then you may have a line clamp or hose leaking in that area. Hope it is actually not the tank.
I wonder if the repair shop actually found a cause or just "mad a probable " patch to the hose. The inlet from a hose bypasses the tank and goes directly through the lines without engaging the tank or pump
It should be easy to figure out. Try some papers towels on the floor in certain areas to try to pinpoint. Good Luck R
Raymound Pears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 11:10 PM   #6

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
I had a bit of a hard time finding my water leak. I finally took the tank out. I filled it and left it sitting on the porch. By golly the next day there was water under it.

Turned out there were a number of really fine cracks in the bottom of it. It was very hard to see them.

I bought a new tank and installed it, haven't had any problems since.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote