Fridge 12V Operation - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-01-2012, 12:37 PM   #29
Senior Member
 
Thomas G.'s Avatar
 
Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Posts: 5,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
When operating on propane, my fridge requires neither 12v nor 110v power. It's original equipment on a trailer that as a matter of fact came from the factory with no battery installed anywhere in the system. It did come wired for 12v operation if being towed, but I've never used that feature, and disconnecting the tow from the tug had no effect on propane operation. I've since installed a battery for drycamping, but it needn't be present for the fridge to work on propane as it did for the preceding thirty years.

If that means "no thermocouple", then I guess the answer is "that's correct"!

It's not an unusual arrangement on older, true 3-way fridges.


Francesca
Ha! gotcha!

The thermocouple creates its own electricity from the refrigerator flame.

HowStuffWorks "Thermocouple"
__________________

__________________
UHaul and Burro owners, join the UHaul Campers on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/groups/529276933859491/
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:46 PM   #30
Senior Member
 
Francesca Knowles's Avatar
 
Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Posts: 4,543
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Ha! gotcha!

The thermocouple creates its own electricity from the refrigerator flame.

HowStuffWorks "Thermocouple"
Gotchamewhat?

You're the one that seemed to think that the presence of a "thermocouple" would somehow prove me wrongedy-wrong-wrong about the fridge needing no external power source....

But now you're telling me that the thermocouple (if present, and whatever that may be) uses propane for energy production.

So...now can I be correct that my fridge needs nothing but propane to operate?


Francesca
__________________

__________________
.................................
Propane Facts vs. Fiction:. Click here
Tow Limit Calculator: Click here
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:55 PM   #31
Senior Member
 
Thomas G.'s Avatar
 
Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Posts: 5,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
And mine uses none at all.

Francesca
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
my fridge needs nothing but propane to operate? Francesca
Changing the original question are we?
__________________
UHaul and Burro owners, join the UHaul Campers on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/groups/529276933859491/
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 01:11 PM   #32
Raz
Senior Member
 
Raz's Avatar
 
Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Posts: 4,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Gotchamewhat?

You're the one that seemed to think that the presence of a "thermocouple" would somehow prove me wrongedy-wrong-wrong about the fridge needing no external power source....

But now you're telling me that the thermocouple (if present, and whatever that may be) uses propane for energy production.

So...now can I be correct that my fridge needs nothing but propane to operate?


Francesca

Propane refrigerators have a thermocouple in the flame. It produces a voltage that controls a gas safety valve. If the flame goes out the voltage disappears and the valve closes stopping the gas and you live to see another day. They all have it. Raz

P.S. It's a good idea to test the system periodically. With the refrigerator running on propane shut off the gas and listen for the click.
__________________
Raz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 01:27 PM   #33
Senior Member
 
Francesca Knowles's Avatar
 
Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Posts: 4,543
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
Propane refrigerators have a thermocouple in the flame. It produces a voltage that controls a gas safety valve. If the flame goes out the voltage disappears and the valve closes stopping the gas and you live to see another day. They all have it. Raz
.
Well, thanks for the explanation, and we've now taken up a whole page talking about a point that is evidently COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT TO my original assertion that my 3-way fridge's "3-ways" are independent of each other.

But what the hey...I learned something about the way it operates when it's
OPERATING ON PROPANE ONLY

I think I'll go lie down with a wet rag on my head now...

Francesca
__________________
.................................
Propane Facts vs. Fiction:. Click here
Tow Limit Calculator: Click here
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:31 PM   #34
Raz
Senior Member
 
Raz's Avatar
 
Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Posts: 4,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Well, thanks for the explanation, and we've now taken up a whole page talking about a point that is evidently COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT TO my original assertion that my 3-way fridge's "3-ways" are independent of each other.

But what the hey...I learned something about the way it operates when it's
OPERATING ON PROPANE ONLY

I think I'll go lie down with a wet rag on my head now...

Francesca
Better yet, go check out your safety valve.
__________________

__________________
Raz is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
fridge


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fridge not working; 12V replacement? Barrie Bochoff Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 37 06-04-2011 09:28 AM
3way fridge not working on 12V Rick G Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 28 03-31-2010 11:44 AM
Norcold DC0040 12V fridge Angelo F. Classified Archives 5 04-23-2009 09:02 PM
Fridge won't work on 12v Flygal Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 3 07-12-2008 11:37 PM
12V DC Fridge in Outback Brian C General Chat 25 06-03-2007 03:35 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.