Fridge? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2013, 12:37 PM   #1

Name: Don
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Ontario
Fridge?

Good afternoon members, new question? This is not about towing...I need some advice from fellow members.
I have a 1974 Trillium 1300 unit. It is in beautiful shape now. (my opinion) I have had the gas lines checked, serviced, and I have brand new double tanks for it. The fridge seems to work. It takes about 2-3 hours to work. Because it is 40 years old, and I only use KOA, I do not need the gas part of the fridge.
I was thinking of buying a brand new bar fridge, and using it instead.
Does any member know how to remove that old fridge. I know I will get my dealer to cap off the old gas line.
I would just trust a new fridge more than the one I have now. Ideas....

Thanks...Donny 55
Donny55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:06 PM   #2

Name: Richard
Trailer: 13' Trillium
British Columbia
I have the same trailer

Donny I am on here looking for some information about the same trailer.

My Fridge is an RM 24 and it works fine. I do not use it 12V as I am concerned about the draw when I am driving. We put a freeze pack in the freezer over night and then place in the fridge when we move. Works OK as long as it is not to hot or we are to long on the road.

I have a small problem with the propane side as it does not keep fridge cold above 85f but the 110 side does.

Most likely the solution is to clean the burner area and tunnel. Have looked at it but there are some screws that are covered by flashing attased to back of fridge. There may more that I can not see.

I was hoping to find some instructions on how access the burner in order to clean it.

Worst case is that the fridge has to come out. Our local RV said they could service the old fridge but want $125hr. I could be into a $400 or $500 bill.

Any one know how to get at burner or if the fridge does have to come out in order to clean it.
RichardinBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:15 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardinBC View Post
Any one know how to get at burner or if the fridge does have to come out in order to clean it.
Lots of service manuals in the Document Center. Did you find one for your model? Fiberglass RV - Document Center - Refrigerators a couple of pages worth of links ...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:54 PM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny55 View Post
Good afternoon members, new question? This is not about towing...I need some advice from fellow members.
I have a 1974 Trillium 1300 unit. It is in beautiful shape now. (my opinion) I have had the gas lines checked, serviced, and I have brand new double tanks for it. The fridge seems to work. It takes about 2-3 hours to work. Because it is 40 years old, and I only use KOA, I do not need the gas part of the fridge.
I was thinking of buying a brand new bar fridge, and using it instead.
Does any member know how to remove that old fridge. I know I will get my dealer to cap off the old gas line.
I would just trust a new fridge more than the one I have now. Ideas....

Thanks...Donny 55
Does your refrigerator also run on 110 volts AC? If so, why not just run on AC?
Old 03-26-2013, 05:00 PM   #5

Ontario
Fridge?

Yes sir, it does run on DC or AC or gas....I'm just not sure how reliable it is?
40 years is along time for a fridge to work well.

Donny55
Old 03-26-2013, 05:03 PM   #6

Ontario
Manuals?

Hey thanks Donna D...I will check those sites, and see how much more I can learn about this old unit.

sincerely; Donny55
Old 03-26-2013, 05:26 PM   #7

Don, it's worked for all these years... it very well may work for many more. I'm going to keep running my 25 year old 3-way until it flat gives up and dies. I'm not in to spending money to to get to even. YMMV
Old 03-27-2013, 10:10 AM   #8

British Columbia
Thanks Donna, I found what I needed.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:16 AM   #9

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny55 View Post
Yes sir, it does run on DC or AC or gas....I'm just not sure how reliable it is?
40 years is along time for a fridge to work well.

Donny55
Donny my RM 24 works great. The grates have been replaced with plexiglass and we use boxes to store or food in. That makes it easy to access things in the fridge.

I have an 1957 full size Servel propane fridge at my cabin and it works great.

As long as it works use it.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:43 AM   #10

Ontario
Thank you....

Thanks to everyone that posted some ideas about my fridge. I will do the opposite of what I usually do, and leave it alone. I don't like the idea of letting it be but, it does work, I was just worried about it's age.
thank you again,
Donny55
Old 03-27-2013, 11:57 AM   #11

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Donny, I have several fridges of this vintage. I believe that an RM211 will fit in your trailer. If you are worried about it, do what I did, buy a spare. I got one used RM211 for $80, and then I got two more for free. Keep watching kijiji.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:04 PM   #12

Ontario
Thank you ...

Good idea...when I get the trailer out of storage, I'll check the info on what type it is, and I will keep my eye on KijiJi. I can always get it removed and redone I guess, if it comes to that point, of replacement or repair.

Thank you...Donny55
Old 03-27-2013, 12:16 PM   #13

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Repair is really not an option. They sell brand new for a similar price to the repair. The absorption refrigeration system has no moving parts, other then the liquid inside. Where they tend to fail is at the burner. The pipe that is heated rusts more then any other place. Once it rusts through the fridge is hooped.
The RM211 was popular on pop up tent trailers. They were often parked indoors. When the canvas fails, they are frequently not worth repairing. They get converted to a snowmobile or quad trailer. The appliances are sold off, or given away. Two of the RM211's that I had showed no rust on the chimney at all. They are probably good for another 20 years. It's kinda a shame that one of them is now my bone yard unit. I give pieces of it away. The cooling system still works fine. If the fridge in one of my 1300's has a cooling system failure, I plan to salvage all the parts off the failed unit and rebuild my bone yard unit.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:27 PM   #14

Name: Rene
Trailer: Bigfoot 2500 truck camper
British Columbia
Old or not I really appreciate the propane fridges for travel and boondocking. An electric compressor fridge is great when hooked up to the grid but just ask those who have tried to run one on battery/solar power how easy that is. Even those who have homes on solar power end up using propane fridges or high efficiency DC powered fridges (both expensive) . You may enjoy KOA, but many others do not, and I would never buy your trailer if you ripped out your gas fridge. I would second those who suggest a second hand replacement if you are worried about longevity. I have to get one of these myself just in case.
Rene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:21 PM   #15

Hey, I'm old and I work just fine!
Old 03-27-2013, 06:41 PM   #16

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene View Post
Old or not I really appreciate the propane fridges for travel and boondocking. An electric compressor fridge is great when hooked up to the grid but just ask those who have tried to run one on battery/solar power how easy that is. Even those who have homes on solar power end up using propane fridges or high efficiency DC powered fridges (both expensive) . You may enjoy KOA, but many others do not, and I would never buy your trailer if you ripped out your gas fridge. I would second those who suggest a second hand replacement if you are worried about longevity. I have to get one of these myself just in case.
The high efficiency 12v DC fridges are compressor and yes they are expensive. I prefer them over propane because they are far colder, get colder far faster, don't need to be leveled, and don't use much battery power. I would never use a 110v home style compressor fridge. You would need an inverter to use it off grid and they use an enormous amount of energy. However, that being said, I wouldn't use a 12v fridge either if I didn't have a sufficient solar system to keep the batteries charged.
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge