Fridge acting Up - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-11-2016, 08:27 AM   #15

Name: Alex
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe
Florida
Poltergiests inhabit these fridges

Sometimes it is 30, sometimes it is 45 under similar conditions. I try everything to satisfy the whims of my fussy fridge. I've insulated, I've shaded. I've serviced, I've installed fans. I wait till absolutely necessary to open the door (unless it's 30 degrees and freezing my salad and club soda).

I installed remote thermometers so I can keep track of the temps without opening the doors.

Except under extreme conditions the freezer usually stays frozen so I only keep raw meat in there. Underway I move my sensitive item (milk) to an ice box.

I will never buy another trailer where the fridge vents through the side. Friends with top venting models are so much more casual than I am and do not have the same complaints.

Would it ruin some celestial plan for a top vent to be included on all fridges?

And then I talk to people with my same model who have none of the above issues, thus my suspicion regarding haunt habitation.

Alex

Old 09-11-2016, 02:06 PM   #16

Name: Joe
Trailer: 1999 Casita 17' SD
Ohio
The dometic RM2453 three way in our 17' Casita SD stayed below 40f for three weeks in 90f and above temperatures and the freezer was always right around zero running on propane.
It's possible for them to work properly if several conditions are met. As Casita installed them don't expect much and you won't be disappointed.

To the original poster, have you cleaned the gas jet? It's supposed to be done yearly?

But after cleaning the burner jet and tube read up on Dometic's installation manual concerning venting. Then go here and read all 17 pages and follow others footsteps on venting and keeping the refrigerator systems heat and the burner's heat separated and your refrigerator will preform correctly.
http://www.casitaforum.com/invboard/...ge-run-better/
You'll need to join.

Or you can complain and buy a stickie with straight sides with the vent on the roof where it can leak.

Joe

Old 09-11-2016, 02:46 PM   #17

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Romas View Post
Or you can complain and buy a stickie with straight sides with the vent on the roof where it can leak.

Joe
I don't have a stickie, but I wonder if the fridge roof vent on my Scamp can still leak?

The answer, by the way, is a resounding YES. Like so many things added to a fiberglass Egg type camper, the fridge vent on the roof does not follow the curves, and some adjustments in the installation is needed, including a lot of silicone (now partially replaced with ProRV sealant). In fact they even notched out a corner of the vent to put in one of the rivet / bolts that hold the cabinet.

But the roof vent does work better. I would guess that a properly installed fan would make a side top vent about as good. Dometic includes information on installing a fan in the manual.
Old 09-13-2016, 12:20 PM   #18

Name: Talia
Trailer: Hunter Compact Jr.
USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Remember that the RV Propane fridges don't work like the ones in your house. Don't expect too much.
They work very well as long as you understand how they work and what will negatively affect their cooling capacity. I run a large one in the full sun for two weeks every summer, during the height of east coast heat and humidity and it does just dandy. Even keeps ice cream.
Old 09-13-2016, 12:42 PM   #19

Name: John
Trailer: Oliver Elite ll, Ram 3500 diesel
Northern Nevada
Huck,

Turn off the gas and run it on 120v electric for a while. If the symptoms are the same you know it's not the flame or flame modulation problem. Sounds like you might have overloaded it and didn't wait long enough for it to stabilize, or you have a thermostat problem. I don't think you need a fan in the box at this point.

Taking out and turning it upside down is sort of the default suggestion often recommended, but it's not likely to help and it's a hassle, so try everything else first. If you do take it out inspect and clean the chimney. Out of level is not the problem.

I have three of them now and just sold a fourth one. All have been very good. A fifth one I had years ago would lose it's flame occasionally, but otherwise worked fine too. I really like them and have no complaints with their performance.
Old 09-13-2016, 12:53 PM   #20

Name: John
Trailer: Oliver Elite ll, Ram 3500 diesel
Northern Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talia View Post
They work very well as long as you understand how they work and what will negatively affect their cooling capacity. I run a large one in the full sun for two weeks every summer, during the height of east coast heat and humidity and it does just dandy. Even keeps ice cream.
I agree. I spent a week in Death Valley in the summer and kept the beer cold. But I did have to install a fan behind it to help the condenser. One of these days I'll use thermal solar to drive one and see how that goes. The ingenious design of absorption cooling is fascinating.

Tags
fridge