fridge adjustment? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2003, 05:17 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
fridge adjustment?

Hi,
We've installed an old 3 way fridge. It has a new thermostat in it and works, but does not seem very cold. Any suggestions on how to lower the temp? Thanks.

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 05:34 PM   #2

how long have you waited and which mode

they take a while to cool off, Maggie , some work better on gas or elecltric or battery .
level is important
chimney restricter installed this is important for gas.
i know you are working on your egg , can you drive it around the block for some reason that seems to help mine .
check each mode and wait overnight.
i bought a little batery operated fan from west marine for mine it so far did not help temp on remote thermometer acutally went up !

Old 07-14-2003, 06:28 PM   #3

Fan

Al,

The little fan on the inside is to keep the temperature more even through out the refrigerator. If the thermometer is in the bottom it may very well get warmer. But by using it you can keep from freezing things in the refrigerator part of the unit.

Maggie,

Dometic instructions say, it will take 8 hrs for it to cool down. (Ours takes much longer) But you should be able to feel the freezer get cool and cold much faster. They also say it must be level to prevent damage to the unit. RV stores sell a small round bubble level for this purpose. Half of the bubble is suppose to be on the inside of the little black circle. Other wise you can cause permanent damage to the unit. Driving while on gas is OK because the motion shakes the unit enough to prevent the damage. But this is another good reason to have the trailer close to level when under tow, to help prevent damage while stopped for a few hours. And try to park in a rather level area.

We cool ours down with 110 all night before we leave on a trip. And everything is cooled in our house refrigerator before it is put in. We even freeze the ice trays in the house.

Good luck

Old 07-18-2003, 11:28 PM   #4

fridge problem

My brother was having a similar problem with his fridge. At one point he
tapped the chimney, and a glob of soot fell out, after which it began to
work properly. This might be a cheap solution to try.

Old 07-19-2003, 12:51 PM   #5

It has a chimney? Hmmm...guess I'll go look for that.

Old 07-19-2003, 02:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Orginally posted by Maggie O.

It has a chimney? Hmmm...guess I'll go look for that.

Maggie Eau,

The chimney is a galvanized vertical flue pipe about three inches in diameter. The gas burner is below it and the AC and DC heating elements are inside it. There is also a baffle inside.

The refrigerator must be properly vented at the top and the bottom in back. That's so cool air can come in at the bottom and hot air can exhaust at the top. Did you install it in a normal refrigerator cutout with vents?

Old 07-19-2003, 02:51 PM   #7

Maggie,

This is a helpful article about RV refrigerator venting:

http://www.rvmobile.com/Tech/Trouble/vent.htm

Tags
fridge