Fridge Flame Surging On Low Settings - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2019, 05:36 PM   #21

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
By the way, I know how you feel with that fuel filter ordeal...
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 08:49 PM   #22

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
By the way, I know how you feel with that fuel filter ordeal...
Oh, no worries, that was 40+ years ago. Actually, I think that in another ten years I'll be over it completely.

But, I did learn a lesson by it; I simply quit doing any preventative maintenance after that (just kidding).

By the way, the washer sounds intriguing. If it serves to establish the position of the jet relative to the orifices in the little burner head, that would affect the air / fuel ratio at the flame. That just might be what gets it out of sorts when there's a very low gas flow.

I had a number of cars that were so old that the steel throttle shafts would wear the boreholes in the aluminum carburetor into ovals. They ran fine at speed, but getting them to idle properly was about impossible as they drew so much air in around the throttle shafts. The ultimate answer was to bush the carb body and restore the close fit which would limit the air admittance.

So, having the burner system on your fridge work okay on a high flame and not so well at a low flame level seems to make sense.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 07:35 AM   #23

Montana

Yeah, those things will stick with you!

I agree that makes sense, though why it’s not surging this morning on low, I can’t say. Anyway, so far I can’t find anyone who carries that washer. Everything in the hardware store is too thick and puts me farther away from the correct gap than no washer at all.

I had the same issue with a rebuilt carb from an online shop. The throttle arm had worn the hole to the point where it caused a huge air leak. The store was no help and I was short on time as I was moving into my motorhome and hitting the road in a week. So the stock rebuilt carb went in the dumpster, and I ordered a Weber.
Old 08-17-2019, 10:00 AM   #24

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
I had the same issue with a rebuilt carb from an online shop. The throttle arm had worn the hole to the point where it caused a huge air leak. The store was no help and I was short on time as I was moving into my motorhome and hitting the road in a week. So the stock rebuilt carb went in the dumpster, and I ordered a Weber.
A "re-engineered" carb I purchased idled badly and ran poorly at lower speeds. I took it out on a country road and ran it up to speed, with the result that I was soon appearing in traffic court at a mitigation hearing to explain why I was flying so close to the ground.

I explained that the subject vehicle was not running well due to the rebuilder having installed an oversize main jet, and having also eliminated one of two actuators which affected the performance at high speed.

The judge in turn rather astutely observed that going some 25 or more over the 50 mph limit appeared to be strong evidence that it was running well at the moment in question.

In the end, the judge gave me a 50% discount on the fine; "thanks for showing up".

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 09:10 AM   #25

Montana
I'll say that I'm glad I owned enough old vehicles to have experienced the fun and frustration of carbs, mechanical fuel pumps and all that...and even got to experience points on an old motorcycle I thankfully decided to ditch...but am also really appreciative of my more modern truck that just seems to run and run without much help from me. 260,000 miles and it hasn't even needed a valve adjustment. I was doing that every 20,000 miles on my older trucks. It was actually a fun, easy job on those 4 cylinder trucks, but still. Nice to not have to worry about it.

Tags
fridge