Fridge heat and fiberglass shell? - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-30-2012, 04:38 PM   #1

Name: Sean
Trailer: 1984 Uhaul CT 13
Georgia
Registry
Fridge heat and fiberglass shell?

So I know my UHaul used to just have an ice box in it. PO stripped it out and put in a dorm fridge. I have a couple questions about fridges in fiberglass campers:

1) Should I be concerned that the coils on the back of the fridge are against the outer wall? I'm not sure yet how hot they get as I've only owned this a week and haven't turned on the fridge.

2) should I cut a hole and add a vent back there to help heat escape from the coils?

Excuse my 1st time camper owner ignorance. I didn't have to think about this with my tent.

My U-haul Camper Blog
knighth001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:17 PM   #2

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 28' Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Oak Park, IL
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
We have vent holes both on the side of the fridge cabinet and to the outside of the trailer for taking care of the heat. The outside holes are covered with an aluminum vent that sits very tight to the shell so as not to stick out and catch on things. This has worked well for us with our small dorm fridge. Also, the back of the fridge doesn't touch the outside walls... we have about 3-4 inches of clearance. I have thought about putting in a small vent fan behind the fridge to direct hot air to the vent holes more efficiently, but I haven't done it yet. The fan would be wired to the on/off switch for the fridge so that they would operate together. You do need to provide some ventilation for the fridge cooling system.

Old 08-30-2012, 11:58 PM   #3

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Tried to edit and ended up with double post. Sigh
Old 08-31-2012, 12:02 AM   #4

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Fridge does not make cold it only moves heat to the outside coils, the more you can keep the back cool the better the fridge will work.

People use 12 volt pancake computer case cooling fans to help move air across fridge cooling coils as mentioned by Kevin. Just add a switch so they can get a boost in hot weather and not kill their battery. Adding some baffles above and to the sides so that hot air can not collect and rising warm air pulls cooler air from bottom of vent across back of fridge.

Here is a picture of a fridge vent being set with butyl tape and rivets. 77 Scamp in this case but these type vents are available from RV stores here is what scamp offers. http://shop.scamptrailers.com/c-30-vents-and-lids.aspx

Uhaul a double wall construction? If so that vent install might be something that one of the members with more Uhaul experience can advise on.
Old 08-31-2012, 05:12 AM   #5

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
.................Uhaul a double wall construction? If so that vent install might be something that one of the members with more Uhaul experience can advise on.
UHaul CT13 Updates Complete

Note that mounting the fan directly to the heat exchanger was a mistake, at least on a gas fridge. The exchanger just gets too hot.

Tags
fridge