Fridge issue.... - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-05-2012, 10:18 AM   #15
Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Originally Posted by Carol H

Good to hear! I always plug the fridge in about 12 hours prior to leaving on a trip and put water in the ice cube tray - thats a good check point for making sure its working. I also put a milk jug with frozen water in the fridge to help it cool down and I never put warm items into it.

Mine will make ice no matter the temp out side is as well but as others have suggested keeping it cool in the main fridge compartment in temps over 90 is a bit of a problem. Sharon's suggestions are really good ones. I also picked up a small battery operated fridge fan from Camping World that goes in the fridge that helps a bit as well.
Yes, I can attest to that as well -- the fridge fans are well worth it. These fridges don't have a recirculating fan like your fridge at home. Cold air will fall to the bottom, and it will be warmer on the top shelves. The fan will even everything out and keep items on the bottom shelf from possibly freezing.

SOLD! - 1984 Scamp 13 in Maryland.
mcbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:11 PM   #16
Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
I seriously considered adding a proper chimney or flue for the little Dometic rm 2202 to concentrate airflow to the upper radiator fins. I did add one muffin fan behind the upper vent and then decided to rid myself of the bother and put a 2.7ft\2 dorm fridge in its place. To this rig I added a 1500watt true sine wave inverter and one group 27 battery. I already had an 80watt PV panel. It has worked out well for me altho I reallly could use about another 100amp hrs. of battery (another group 27) for extended off grid use. My Dometic was 1.2ft\2. I felt it was inadequate sizewise even if it were functioning adequately. Had I added a small battery-powered fan, an indoor/outdoor thermometer (as recommended by Donna D.) AND ice packs or ice in bottles, I would have further reduced the capacity. Mine did make ice on 120VAC but would warm up after about 12 hrs. I decided not to troubleshoot it AND not to spend money on it because I consider it a toy and a joke. I'm good with the experience of others that the darn things work OR can be retroengineered to work. Had I had a 3 or 4 cubic footer, I also might have considered it worthwhile to do what it takes to help it to optimimum performance or any performance at all. Different strokes, folks.

rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote