Fridge on the Fritz! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2013, 06:48 AM   #1

Name: Pam
Trailer: Scamp
North Dakota
Fridge on the Fritz!

Hoping someone can help me decide if my Dometic RM211B is dead or not. It may have run when not level on my last trip. It doesn't cool at all now. I've tried on 12V and also the 110V. It is completely level now (in the garage).
Any suggestions? If I need to replace it, how hard is it to remove and would a Dorm Fridge be an OK replacement? I know I would be limited to 110V, but really don't want to spend the money on a new one plus installation!!
Pam ND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 07:19 AM   #2

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Our Snoozys come with a dorm fridge.
So far mine has done fine.

Funny thing is though, the mfg. instructions says
"not for use in RVs".

If you're okay with 110v as I am, it should do okay I'm assuming.

And, to the Forum.
There will others with more specific help along shortly.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 07:42 AM   #3

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
try turning it upside down for a day then back to rightside up. Also look at the coils on the back for yellow stains. It may just have a blockage. You can also tap the coils lightly.
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 08:38 AM   #4

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
FWIW: My next step would be to try it on LP before going further. If it works on anything it's worth getting repaired.

I believe that at least the earlier Snoozy's were all electric, not much of an attraction for boondockers, but fine for others.

Dorm type refrigerators are really limiting as to where you can stay. About 90% of the time I don't have 120 power and shulmping ice can fast become boring. Add to that, dorm refrigerators are designed to be used where the ambient temp is in the 70-80 range and summer temps in RV frequently exceed that, especially because there are those big vent holes in the wall behind the 211 refrigerator

However, for those that use hook-up a high % of the time, it may work just fine.

You might aso try searching the local Craig's lists for a used one. I bought one out of a damaged slide in camper for $40 and it works great. As long as I have that one as a spare the 40 y.o. one in my Hunter doesn't dare give me any problems .

Now for some good news: There is a plug & play replacement for the 211 Almost anyone that can turn a screwdriver and attach one gas line can change it out in about an hour. And you can always stop by at a local LP store to get the gas line checked.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 10:32 AM   #5

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
I needed a new Dometic for my Bigfoot and found some online prices that were much lower than Camping World. Camping World price matched the printed quote and I saved quite a bit. I think Camping World wanted $279 to install it. I installed it myself. I'm pretty handy. It was not an easy install but it was not $279 hard.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge