Fridge questions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2007, 10:51 PM   #1

Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot 17 ft and 1989 Li'l Bigfoot 13 ft
I'm preparing for an upcoming jaunt to try things out. I was going to run the fridge on electric while parked at the house to try it out, but a neighbour suggested I should run it on the propane, since that is the system that I will need to make sure is working before trusting the fridge boondocked. Makes some sense.

So, I've got it fired up on the propane and after some initial skepticism on my part, the freezer compartment is getting very cold now that a couple hours have passed.

BUT the fridge area does not seem to be getting cold at all yet (freezer is it's own compartment within the fridge style). Will this just take some more time or should the fridge be getting cold already?

Thanks!
Lainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 11:27 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I'd at least give it overnight.
The usual process is run it on electricity when avaliable and propane when not. I usually turn mine on at least a couple days before loading for a trip.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:30 PM   #3

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
there are small batt. powered fridge/freezer fans available to better aid in air movement in this area.
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 11:35 PM   #4

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983 and 1972 Compact Jr (project)
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

Quote:
BUT the fridge area does not seem to be getting cold at all yet (freezer is it's own compartment within the fridge style). Will this just take some more time or should the fridge be getting cold already?

Thanks!
Do you have anything in it or is it empty? 'Cause if it is empty, it won't feel cold... I've been snookered a couple of times by mine...... Larry
Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 11:38 PM   #5

Thanks guys!

So, if I'm understanding correctly, if the freezer is chilly, then I'm in business and it's just air movement from that that will bring the rest of the fridge temperature down?

Perhaps now that I know it's cooling on the propane, I should go switch it over to electric until it's time to go?

Larry, just saw your post - it is empty. Should I load something in there to test with?
Old 08-02-2007, 04:07 AM   #6

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
Yup, if the freezer is working the fridge is working to its best capability
The biggest problem is the fridge doesn't have the proper insulation around it so unless you want to some how insulate it, it's as good as it's gonna get.
I used mine for a week and although it never felt real cold, meat in the freezer would refreez and the milk in the fridge didn't sour so I guess it was cool enough.
Gerry the canoebuilder
The fan I think that they talk about is to be installed behind the fridge to keep the compressor cool by moving the air around....I think.
Gerry
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 08:16 AM   #7
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Lainey, even a glass of water set inside the fridge will give you a better idea of how fast the box is cooling. You probably want to invest in a little fridge thermometer. (I have more trouble keeping my box from freezing the milk than from not keeping it cold enough - it really varies depending on the ambient temperature... this partly because, as has been suggested, the insulation could be better.)

Some folks have indeed installed little fans behind the fridge to help exhaust the heat, but there are also little fans that can be placed inside the fridge (they run on batt'ries), to minimize temp. variations.

The little thermometers and inside-the-fridge fans are common items at RV/camping supply places.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 09:10 PM   #8

The fridge ended up working like a dream on the propane for the four night trip we took.
Anything in the freezer was completely frozen and the fridge stayed nice and cool.

What a treat to have such luxury, it made me feel like I was cheating on 'roughing it' it the mountains

Tags
fridge