Fridge Thermostatic Differences - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2011, 10:33 PM   #1

Name: Greg
Trailer: 1977 17' Boler
Saskatchewan
Fridge Thermostatic Differences

Hi all,

I have been wondering about the different temperatures that have been posted on the forums regarding their fridges working and not working. If everything was controlled and everybody had the same fridge and had the same enviromental similarities then it would all be fine. But since evrybody lives in different areas and the temp and humidity as well as what dirrection the trailer is facing and how long the trailer is exposed to sun and if there is a tree shading it or the trailer is in a partial covered car port or are the vents opened or windows for circulation. This all makes a world of difference,so nothing can be the same, so we just do the best we can and help each other out the best we can, swap ideas and stories. One thing I have found, is that when my fridge is working properly and cooling the things inside, there is a whole world of difference from the air temperature and the liquid temperature of the contents inside the fridge. If you opened the door, and a blast of hot air entered the fridge, you would obviously see an increasin the inside temperature recored on a remote thermometer. The liquids temperature would change very little if at all for that short period of time. A person would see the temperature slowly go back to what it was prior to the door being opened, this is mostly due to the fact that the air has mixed and equalize itself the cooler items in the fridge cooling off the air that was once warmer. Itwould take more than a opening of the door and an occasional blast of warmwer air to heat up any cooled liquids. The cooling may be partially due also to the fridge cutting in as well. I have found that the liquids in a fridge (easier to measure the temp) are much cooler than the air temp inside the fridge. So even though you open the fridge once too many times, your beer should still be as cool as it was, in the short term anyways. One of the biggest factors that these little fridges have is expelling their heat. If the humidity id close to say the high 90 % or higher, these fridges are not unlike us, as when the humidity gets higher we also have a harder time cooling off, as we try and produce sweat, and we need that sweat to be absorbed by our surrounding enviroment for us to cool off, or else we over heat, much like our fridges at times do. Just cot to live with it or live in a bubble with climate control.

I have a question, that I e-mailed Dometic and have never received an answer. What is the cut in temp and cut out temp of these fridges. What I am attempting to get across is when a fridge is cooled off, and requires no more cooling at how many degrees difference does it take for the fridge to begin to work again. House thermostats can be adjusted, can a fridge be other than moving the thermister.

Just food for thought,

Boler77 Greg
Boler77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 05:36 AM   #2

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Greg,
We have a small fridge, about 2 cubic feet. We have added additional shelves to it so we can pretty much keep it full, reducing the effective of opening the door since the amount of aie space has been reduced.

You are correct that often people are measuring air temperature when the temperature of the contents is more important. To get a more accurate 'content temperature', our temperature gauge is in a tray with the soda cans, virtually in contact with them.

One thing you could do to get an indication of the cycle frequency is to put an amp meter in series with the AC heater and see the on/off rate.

As well, though it's difficult to compare seperate fridges, it's easy to see the effect of changes on your own fridge.

Norm
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge