fridge warms up but doesn't cool - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2013, 05:52 PM   #21

Name: Peter
Trailer: Escape
Manitoba
"fridge warms up but doesn't cool "

That's the oven, mate. The fridge is over there, on the other side of the galley.
Winnipeg Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 05:53 PM   #22

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
You don't Need a thermocouple. You just need to clean the tube and orfice.
You have a spider nest in that tube.
Air alone won't do it. The gas can't flow past the sticky web, easy fix.
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 05:57 PM   #23

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by mszabo View Post
You don't Need a thermocouple. You just need to clean the tube and orfice.
You have a spider nest in that tube.
Air alone won't do it. The gas can't flow past the sticky web, easy fix.
Very likely. I had a spider web in mine and I couldn't find it until I took it apart. They can be quite tiny.
Old 06-01-2013, 06:28 PM   #24

Name: steve
Trailer: Boler
Banff, Alberta
I'll attach a couple photos shortly, but I've removed what I think is the thermocouple, it's a little probe on the end of a tube that sits just above the pilot flame??
And Mszabo, what tube and orfice are you referring to that needs cleaning? The little burner/pilot? Take that off and clean it?
Cheers
Steve
nelsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:33 PM   #25

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
You might find this post worth reading:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post214197
Old 06-01-2013, 06:37 PM   #26

Banff, Alberta
Have read it a couple times, great post. The trick is I'm not sure what is what....hopefully my photos will help, once I get them posted.
Steve
Old 06-01-2013, 07:22 PM   #27

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I'd try running it on electric for a couple of weeks before tackling the LP problem. Turning it upside down loosens up the debris inside and all to often it circulates for a few days or weeks and stops things up again.
Most Important... be sure it is level at all times when ON.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:39 PM   #28

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
how long did you hold the red button in for? it can take more than a minute for the thermocouple to generate enough electricity to keep the valve open
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:14 PM   #29

Banff, Alberta
Joe - "generate enough electricity" do you mean to say that the fridge should be plugged in when trying to run it on propane??
Ive been trying to get it to run on propane, but WITHOUT it being plugged in to any electrical source.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:29 PM   #30

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
I posted up some links for troubleshooting domectic fridges a couple of days agohttp://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post392938

very good reading
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:36 PM   #31

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
The older dometic fridges like the RM211 do not need power when running on propane The thermal couple generates a very small amount of voltage to keep the shutoff open.
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:46 PM   #32

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Me too. It bothers me, because I feel like I understand compressor refrigeration very well. I am beginning to get it though. It is still a pressure differential that drives the cooling process. But there are many other properties at play. Partial pressure effects were new to me. This is the first I have heard of sodium chromate. I often wondered what the particles, or as some refer to the, crystals were. I guess this is what they were talking about.
Yeah every time I think I finally understand this type of fridge someone posts something or I find an article that makes me feel like I'm missed something along the way.

No one told the OP what the technical term for turning a fridge on it's side or upside down is called... a sad oversight. What you are doing right now is called burping a fridge. Now even if it doesn't work you can sound professional in describing what you tried.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 12:49 AM   #33

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Steve, I will not even to pretend that I have any reasonable understanding as to why but as Joe mentioned I also have to keep the red button on mine pushed down for a long time - up to a minute before it will stay light on its own. All I can say is it seems as though the tubie thingy that the spiders like to spin their webs in seems to need to get well warmed up before it will stay on.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:42 AM   #34
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Steve, I will not even to pretend that I have any reasonable understanding as to why but as Joe mentioned I also have to keep the red button on mine pushed down for a long time - up to a minute before it will stay light on its own.
The thermocouple heats up and produces a small voltage that holds the safety valve open. It's position in relationship to the flame determines have fast it heats up. When it's serviced, the position should be checked. Also, the electrical connection on the other end should be cleaned. Dirty contacts can cause enough resistance to stop the thermocouple from doing it's job. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:58 AM   #35

Registry
Thanks Raz for the simple explanation as to why. It seems to take longer to stay light if it hasn't been used for awhile, if its been used recently (within the last month) its much easier to light. Is there an explanation for that as well?
Old 06-07-2013, 10:34 AM   #36
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Thanks Raz for the simple explanation as to why. It seems to take longer to stay light if it hasn't been used for awhile, if its been used recently (within the last month) its much easier to light. Is there an explanation for that as well?
No, and I don't see how contact resistance or proximity of the thermocouple would explain it. Maybe someones messin' with you. I usually blame things like that on the weather or LGM (little green men). They're everywhere...........
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:45 AM   #37

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
Maybe someones messin' with you. I usually blame things like that on the weather or LGM (little green men). They're everywhere...........
well that's kind of been my explanation for it to-date. As they say sometimes not knowing is bliss! At this point due to the age of the fridge I am just happy it does work.

Tags
boler, fridge