Froli system or foam top? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2014, 05:17 PM   #1

Name: Jon
Trailer: Burro
Oregon
Froli system or foam top?

We are planning on dropping the table and using the rear area as a full time bed with both 90lb dogs and am considering a more comfortable solution to the thin pads. We also purchased the Burro for a spring road trip to Disneyland and a coastal Hwy return only to sell it when we return, keep it and rent it out to others or add it to our growing vintage collection. Keeping it as a rental makes the Froli system a good choice as the table module could easily be used for those wanting both. Having a fluffy comfy large memory foam topper sounds nice but a pia to remove to ever use the table. How often do you all use the table when camping? We usually eat outside, sit outside, walk and relax outside only using the other trailers to sleep in. If we decide to use the Burro as a rental, what we do camping may not be what others might?
For those who use the area as a full time bed, what's did you do? Any Froli users out there?

NEWFISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 05:59 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Our Uhaul is similar to the Burro, and had a fiberglass rear pedestal table. We replaced the table with a piece of 5/8" plywood, cut a piece of 5" foam for a mattress. Just recently added a 3" memory foam topper on to the 5" foam. Former front bunk is a short couch with a Casita captains chair in the right front corner. Bed stays made up all the time.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 06:06 PM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
What's a Froli System. It sounds like something out of Bilbo Baggins FGRV.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 06:27 PM   #4

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
What's a Froli System. It sounds like something out of Bilbo Baggins FGRV.
Check out the video
Old 01-01-2014, 06:42 PM   #5

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I have used two different IKEA mattresses in FGRV's, one, a 2" memory foam over foam rubber, easy to cut to size with a bread knife and super comfortable.

The other is a folding IKEA mattress, with metal innersprings and a memory foam top originally intended for full time use on their futons. Even more comfortable and I can fold it back in half on top of itself and I have a dinette for two. BUT, shortening the spring steel edge frame and removing 3 rows of pocket springs was a real PITA.

If the Froli system is designed for boats I'll bet it's three time as as expensive as it should be....

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 06:57 PM   #6

Oregon
Ya, its $300. That's my wrench in the problem. If comparable to an Ikea foam I would try the Froli especially knowing I'll be renting it out or selling it. Not wanting to invest a ton but don't want to waste money on a matress either.
Old 01-01-2014, 10:31 PM   #7

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Didn't Thom and Cari (accrete) post quite a bit about their Froli? I seem to recall that they still put foam overtop the Froli. Whereas you are talking about one or the other, right?
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 10:38 PM   #8

Oregon
I would be using the dinette cushions over the Froli or a foam mattress over the dinette cushions. I searched here for Froli and did not come up with a thread. I will look for thiers, thank you.
Old 01-01-2014, 11:21 PM   #9

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Jon, we use small self inflating air mattresses under the cushions while sleeping, and under the seating cushions when set up as a table. This offers just enough extra padding to make sleeping & sitting comfortable.
Dave & Paula
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01178.jpg   DSC01179.jpg  

DSC01180.jpg   DSC01185.jpg  

David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 12:33 AM   #10

Oregon
Thanks Dave and Paula, I hadn't thought of that. I have 2 inflaters andwill try it out!
Old 01-02-2014, 12:57 AM   #11

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I tried inflatable mattresses in the tent trailer. My theory on why it didn't work is that your body heat needs to warm the entire volume of air contained in the mattress. If you are sleeping on foam, there are small pockets of air under your body that are warmed by your body.
So, air mattresses may work just fine in a temperate climate, in the home, maybe in a heated trailer. Sure didn't work in the tent trailer. Like sleeping on a slab of ice.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:26 PM   #12

Name: Paul
Trailer: '07 Scamp 16' SD
Wisconsin
Our eggs' PO had a custom mattress made to the size of the scamps bed. It works quite well, but isn't really removable.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1388723206.749307.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	67374
glennco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 12:17 AM   #13

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I tried inflatable mattresses in the tent trailer. My theory on why it didn't work is that your body heat needs to warm the entire volume of air contained in the mattress. If you are sleeping on foam, there are small pockets of air under your body that are warmed by your body.
So, air mattresses may work just fine in a temperate climate, in the home, maybe in a heated trailer. Sure didn't work in the tent trailer. Like sleeping on a slab of ice.
I hear ya Glenn, but these self inflating back packer mattresses are actually foam filled or something similar, and only 1.5" thick, and 54" long. They are designed to be used on the ground and keep one warm. We use them under the Scamp's foam padding for sleeping, and turn them the other direction to be placed under the seating area when using the dinette. They work very well, and we typically never use a heater while sleeping, as our "Big Agnes" double mummy sleeping keeps us toasty warm (this style bag does not have fill on the under side, but has a large pocket to be able to slip this style of padding into it).
Sleeping in comfort
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 07:48 AM   #14

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2013 ParkLiner
Upstate New York
We discovered a minor problem with condensation under our cushions when camping in cooler weather. We purchased a product called hypervent marine HyperVent Marine - Putting An End To Condensation which we use under the stock cushions on our ParkLiner when leaving the bed set up. When we want to set things up as a seating area, the hypervent rolls up in two pieces with one roll going in the closet and the other in one of the overhead cabinets. This doesn't provide any additional cushioning, but like the Froli system, provides air circulation under the cushions which solves the condensation problem and should extend the life of the cushions. I would think this would be useful with any type of mattress. Cost us a little over $100 for enough material for our 60 x 80 queen size bed.

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.
Brian M. in NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 08:51 AM   #15

Oregon
Thanks for the tips! With the 2 of us and 2 95lb dogs, I'm sure we will be. Generating some moisture just breathing inside the Burro.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:13 PM   #16

Oregon
Had the Burro out for the first time and have been trying Dave and Paula's recommendation of self inflating camp pads under the seat cushions on lunch hour naps at work and it has been suuuuuuper comfy! Slept like a baby at the Spring NOG and look forward to a wonderfull nights sleep again this weekend. The camp pads store under the dinette bed and will also roll up tight and store small in the storage areas. Thaks Dave and Paula!