Front and Rear window replacement on 71Boler - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-01-2008, 01:36 PM   #1

Trailer: 71 Boler
Exclamation

My husband and I bought a real fixer upper... no windows, lotsa fiberglass work (at one point the trailer was converted into a concession stand with a flip out lid cut out of the side). My question is, is there a goof-proof way to make a template to take to the glass or plastics shop to have them cut out the proper size of lexan or plexiglass?

We still have the original gasket with lock strip on it, but I'm thinking that we may have to buy new for them... If Kevin61 is out there, where did you buy yours for your videos?

Many thanks... I'm the computer nerd of the family, so I'll be doing lotsa research for hubby and his project... also will post my pictures and updates as I have time to do so.

This is a great site!!! TIA for you help!
Shelley
Shelley Bordeleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 04:20 PM   #2

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Hi Shelley,

I'm fairly new here too, but let me say Welcome!

One thing I've been doing is reading through past posts looking for information (especially when I was waiting for "my" egg to show up and had to do something to keep myself from going nuts).

Maybe it's just me, but I found that when I used the "search" function, I'd get way too many hits to be helpful (even though I do know how to search in general -- still, maybe I'm missing something?).

I did find that using Google to search the forum worked well (and I know that there are numerous threads on replacing the front and back windows and gaskets that you'll be able to find).

What you do is type this into the main Google typing space (italics just here for effect):

Word or words that represent what you are searching for site:fiberglassrv.com

I do know that many folks have gotten the rubber gasket and its accompanying lock strip from Scamp, who still make trailers and sell parts that fit Scamps and (usually) Bolers. Also there are specific tools that help, such as plastic flat bars (like gentle screwdrivers), lacing tools, and dish soap.

Of course I can't pass up an opportunity to say that when you use sealant, I'd advise against using silicone or Armorall (which contains silicone), as is sometimes mentioned, and would instead recommend using another sealant, such as butyl caulk.

I can't wait to hear more and to see photos!

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 11:32 PM   #3

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
We still have the original gasket with lock strip on it
Welcome Shelly,

The original gasket most likely has indentations or marks from the original install and a couple of decades of use. The indentations should be able to tell you how much of a gap was between the fiberglass and the plexiglass. Take a big piece of cardboard and put it up to the window opening and trace the opening. Now make the cardboard template smaller all the way around by the amount of gap determined from the original gasket.

Roy
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 11:33 PM   #4

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
IIRC,
Kevin also used his old windows as gravel guards. He might be able to trace out a template for you.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 01:27 AM   #5

Quote:
Welcome Shelly,

Take a big piece of cardboard and put it up to the window opening and trace the opening. Now make the cardboard template smaller all the way around by the amount of gap determined from the original gasket.

Roy
I think that's a great idea, and probably what we will do for sure. BTW, I love your signature line ... made me smile. My hubby & I have just moved this year into our own house, after living fulltime rv for 16 years (first 10 years in a 27 ft. 1967 traveleze, and last 6 in a 40 ft. Nomad). This experience has definitely given us ideas on what we would like to do for a part time vacation rv... and looking at all the posts and pictures of what people have done has definitely helped alot too!

Thanks!
Shelley
Old 12-02-2008, 01:31 AM   #6

Quote:
Hi Shelley,

I'm fairly new here too, but let me say Welcome!

What you do is type this into the main Google typing space (italics just here for effect):

Word or words that represent what you are searching for site:fiberglassrv.com

I can't wait to hear more and to see photos!

Raya

Thanks for the welcome Raya!
Great idea on using Google... I've done that before on other sites, just hadn't thought about it on this one.
I'll definitely update the group on its progress... Its a cute bug right now LOL

(see attached picture from the ad)

Shelley
Attached Images