front bunk support collapse - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2010, 12:25 AM   #1

Trailer: 1980 Perris Pacer
front bunk support collapse

Our 13' Perris Pacer has the standard front couch that converts to a bunk. When in the bunk position, the support leg closest to the door is right at the edge of the fiberglass "seat" under the lower bunk. It very easily and often slides off the fiberglass seat and the bunk is then only supported by one leg, making it very unsafe and unstable. We have tried to just push it back. It will stay there briefly, but slowly make its way to the edge and fall off again. We are hesitant to really bend it for fear of it losing its strength and potentially breaking off altogether.

Anyone else had/have this problem or heard of how to remedy the situation?

Thanks so much!
charlene
CharleneM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 01:15 AM   #2

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Hi Charlene,

I don't know what (if anything) was originally on the Perris Pacers to hold the bottom of the leg in place - or even what the PP leg looks like - but I can tell you that both Bolers and Scamps have a metal "socket" that the leg (which is a tube) fits into.

Here is a photo of one from a Boler. I think the Scamp one is round.

Click image for larger version

Name:	bunk post bracket.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	31036
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:17 AM   #3

Trailer: 1980 Perris Pacer
thanks

The Pacer has nothing to hold the leg in place. It just has a plastic like stopper at the bottom, that seems to make it even more slippery. I think we'll have to get creative and affix something to the bench for support....thanks for the response and photo.

charlene
CharleneM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 11:17 AM   #4

Charlene,

I have heard that these Boler brackets are actually generic shower rod brackets you can get at the hardware store. I think Scamp also sells some in their parts department.

Wondering if the bunk post(s) are going to collapse suddenly doesn't sound too restful!
Old 09-12-2010, 06:33 PM   #5

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
The Scamp fitting is a boat rail fitting.
mcbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 07:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbrew View Post
The Scamp fitting is a boat rail fitting.
Are you sure about that? I ask because the fitting they show on their parts site doesn't really look like the marine fittings I am used to (not as substantial), and for $1.50 retail, I wonder if it is stainless steel.

Name:   scamp fitting.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  3.9 KB

Round Bunk Post Brackets

In my experience, the typical marine rail fitting would be stainless or bronze, like this one, with holes for set screw(s) to grab the rail tubing. This one happens to be 316 stainless (Whitecap brand) and is just under $20. 7/8" ID.

Name:   wm rail fitting.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  11.5 KB

Of course the Scamp one would be just fine for in-camper use, and is lighter weight to boot. It's probably more convenient not to have the tall socket like on the marine fitting.

Raya