Front Cubby Access - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2007, 03:31 AM   #1

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
I would like to install a small say 8X12 access door into the front cubby, by door, of my Boler.
There is alot of curve in the shell here and was wondering if anyone has done it and if so was it a special curved door and where did they get it?
Gerry teh canoebuilder
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 05:59 AM   #2

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Gerry... Why not cut the access door into the front(face) of the bunk inside the door of the trailer...no curve there...have the compartment door drop onto the floor...add some extra support around the opening just in case some large person wants to sit there??? Just a thought... Regards
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 08:42 AM   #3

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I did one on my 13. I cut out the front of the cubby and used a finished bit of wood (Was a cubby cover at one time, believe it or not) and added hinges.

Wasn't difficult at all. I used a dremel tool, but a hack saw would work too. (Wear a mask!) I saved the cut out for repairs if needed.

Bad pic, but it's the fastest I can find at the moment.
Attached Thumbnails
dinette2.jpg  
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 05:27 PM   #4

Trailer: Boler 1984
Have been thinking same way. One into each of the front seats and you would not have to lift out coushions or crawl under table. If you keep it as far as possible towards the centre then I don't see why it wouldn't work. Once you have cut the hole then the outside edge would be at the same level around the perimiter wouldn't it???
Jim
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 05:31 PM   #5

Gerry
I'm thinking of these on the outside, at the front, either side of the propane tank. Not on side next to the door. I think it's flatter there.
Jim
Old 10-15-2007, 06:18 PM   #6

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Altho an outside hatch would have some advantages for getting items quickly, I am not sure it's worth all the geometry to get one.

I kept all my "Gungies", chocks, jacks, ball grease... old dog beds.. stuff like that in that cubbie in the 13. The 17 came with a door there, so I continue the tradition.. with more junk

I don't find it a big hassle to open the door of the trailer (Hey, ya gotta open it sometime) and I can easily reach all the stuff without having to step in.

A nice diamond plate outside hatch like Liz has sure would look spiffy tho!
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 08:15 PM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I think the curve would make sealing the area extremely difficult and since water is the scourge of the wooden floor I'd certainly think twice before hacking a hole in the front. When traveling in wet weather for instance. I know Nancy (in Oregon) and hubby had a hatch made for the side of their 5th wheel. They used the part that was cut out for the center section of the hatch (that way things matched). So that part is possible, but in the front....hummmmm. I'd get a tongue box and make a hatch INSIDE as has been suggested.

My 2-1/2 cents worth
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 08:37 PM   #8

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy

I don't think I'd try it on the side, myself. Get it too close to the main entry door and you've compromised the structural integrity of the body which will start flexing unpredictably. Have you ever driven side-by-side with a trailer in the adjacent lane of a freeway? I have watched a lot of them flex and move that way. A lot happens that you never see from the driver's seat.
Old 10-16-2007, 04:01 AM   #9

Thanks all for the advice and as always after reading all of them I can see that the outside entry was not the answer.
Because the problem is only the hassel of getting the cushion in and out of the way, Alf solved it right away...Think outside (on in this case) inside the box.
I was planning to redo all the doors in the camper so I will just add one here.
Gerry the canoebuilder
Old 10-16-2007, 07:13 PM   #10

Registry
Quote:
I would like to install a small say 8X12 access door into the front cubby, by door, of my Boler.
There is alot of curve in the shell here and was wondering if anyone has done it and if so was it a special curved door and where did they get it?
Gerry teh canoebuilder
Hi: Gerry... My 1980 Boler Brochure shows a Deluxe 13' with an exterior hatch door located a few "s in front of the rear side marker light and behind the wheel opening. This location uses the strength of the closet for structural integrity and the largest possible area for a flat door/hatch entry through the shell into the rear door side bunk. You can view these doors at Paul Neumeisters web site www.fibreglass-rv.ca(note the reverse r e in fiber) he is located about 60 miles north of us. He just sold his 1987( last year of mfg.) 13' Boler and now owns a beautifully restored rare Boler 1650 square 16 1/2' trailer. Regards
Old 10-16-2007, 07:26 PM   #11

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
Gerry, cut out your door where you want, making sure there is about 2 inches around the cut on the inside that is just the foam stuff with no mounts or other part intrusions, use the piece of Glass that you cut out as the door.
Be very careful when you cut it so the edges are straight
and clean.
Cover the inside of the door with saran wrap and tape it back
into place on the outside.
On the inside cut back the foam stuff about 2 inches and put
a couple of layers of fibreglass covering the cut back and
about 2 inches onto the saran as well.( Rough up the old glass
surface for good adhesion.)
Remove the door (glass won't stick to saran) and cut the glass
you installed back to make a nice lip and paint that area.
Add a bit of gasket and hinge where ever is best , install
a small lock like in a tool box. DONE!
Old 10-17-2007, 07:44 AM   #12

Gerry you should relate to that. Make it from cedar strips for added effect. That sounds like an access door for a kayak.
Old 10-18-2007, 06:00 AM   #13

Well that's that!
Darling wife informed me that the trailer is 50/50 thing and my 50% was the maintaince of the trailer ( washing, waxing, wheel bearings, hook ups and appliances) and her 50% was everything else so there was no way I was going to cut the shell.
Maybe the inside on bench. and she said "maybe, we'll see"
I am going to build a new table top this winter so I will build a door the same time and we'll see if she like it then she may let me cut the hole in the bottom of the bench seat.
Thanks again Alf for the idea of going inside.
Gerry the canoebuilder
Old 10-18-2007, 03:00 PM   #14

Trailer: Compact Jr
Quote:
Well that's that!
Darling wife informed me that the trailer is 50/50 thing and my 50% was the maintaince of the trailer ( washing, waxing, wheel bearings, hook ups and appliances) and her 50% was everything else so there was no way I was going to cut the shell.
Maybe the inside on bench. and she said "maybe, we'll see"
I am going to build a new table top this winter so I will build a door the same time and we'll see if she like it then she may let me cut the hole in the bottom of the bench seat.
Thanks again Alf for the idea of going inside.
Gerry the canoebuilder

See how easily that worked out, once you found out who was in charge? Now you don't have to do anything.
Steve Hilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 06:26 PM   #15

Registry
Hi: Gerry... Seems your wife has put her foot down firmly...on top of yours Glad I could offer an alternative view
Old 10-19-2007, 09:31 AM   #16

Trailer: 1985 13 ft Burro
Just put 2 hatch utility doors in my 1985 burro, last week. Got them through my local rv dealer. Thay come in several sizes and shapes, square and square with radiused corners.
Keyed locks which can be quickly converted to keyless. We are very pleased with the result. We placed one near the door and the other back near the table under the seat.Prices range from 62 to 74 bucks plus change. Good luck. Al Pogue
Al POGUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 04:29 PM   #17

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
The very first Mod I did to my brand new Scamp 7 years ago was to cut an access hole just inside the entrance door as you see Gina's. I ordered a door from the factory, as well as matching hinges. Didn't need a handle as I'd already changed them to fit my style.

I also opened the large center door and cut a hole in the left hand compartment divider so I no longer had to worry about lifting the couch cushion. There is no worry about structural problems, your not cutting that much out.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 04:05 AM   #18

Quote:
The very first Mod I did to my brand new Scamp 7 years ago was to cut an access hole just inside the entrance door as you see Gina's. I ordered a door from the factory, as well as matching hinges. Didn't need a handle as I'd already changed them to fit my style.

I also opened the large center door and cut a hole in the left hand compartment divider so I no longer had to worry about lifting the couch cushion. There is no worry about structural problems, your not cutting that much out.
With my body weight hovering around 260 there is always a worry about structural damage so I will reinforce the area with a wood frame hmmmm maybe 4 inch channel iron Just Kidding
Gerry the canoebuilder
Old 10-23-2007, 05:54 AM   #19

Registry
Hi: Gerry... Don't be so hard on yourself...try the 30 day diet...so far I have lost 5 days
Old 10-23-2007, 09:07 AM   #20

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Quote:
Hi: Gerry... Don't be so hard on yourself...try the 30 day diet...so far I have lost 5 days
I've lost 8 Alf. The good thing is on that plan they stay lost...
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote