Front Dinette. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2009, 05:34 PM   #1

Trailer: 1981 Boler 13 ft / 2005 Dodge Caravan
Registry
We would like to convert the couch/bunk area in our Boler to a front dinette.It looks as though we could make the area that is now the home for the Porta Potti the section that would have the table.The seats would remain as they are on both sides.Does anyone have measurements for table size?Also what type of wood should we purchase to add as little weight as possible.How do I attach the table base to the floor?I know these questions will seem self evident to some but I really am a novice at any of this kind of work.Thanks....Pat.
Attached Thumbnails
boler_couch_resised.jpg   Bo_Boler_ten.jpg  

Pat C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 06:56 PM   #2

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Have you thought about using a base and pole system like they have in boats for the table base? That way you could always take the pole and table out if you so wish.
Donna H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 07:02 PM   #3

Registry
Quote:
Have you thought about using a base and pole system like they have in boats for the table base? That way you could always take the pole and table out if you so wish.
Thanks thats sounds like a good idea....Pat.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:03 PM   #4

Trailer: Trillium 4500
You're welcome ... I'm new at this forum .. glad I could be of help.
Donna H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 07:22 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Here's one solution, recently posted with pictures: It's Done!, Front Dinette, Under-bed drawer, new closet shelves
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 07:24 PM   #6

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983
We are also considering this modification, and have not quite figured out what we plan to do.
Good luck, we will post photos if we decide to take on this project.
A
April Wilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 08:05 PM   #7

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
You're lucky to have the easiest style of Boler front bench to convert. Some Bolers don't have that extra "square" cutout in the frame where your Porta Potti goes. And then even some that do have that don't have the cutout already formed in the bench like you do. So you're starting from a good spot.

If you wanted to keep it simple, you could use the existing filler piece for a table. I've seen people support the table in a number of ways, including the following:

1) "Hanging" a support from the existing mini-shelf that the sofa back used to attach to, and then having a leg that is the same as the fold-down leg on the back table, or a support that slants back to the front wall of the trailer. This is nice because the floor stays flush.

2) Using an RV table-leg socket - one half mounts to the floor and the other half to the bottom of the table, with a leg cylinder in between that you can take out if you want to drop the table down or remove it.

Another thought is that you might want a table that is slightly wider (curb to street wise) than the current filler piece. You know how at home your table overlaps your chair - RV ones often don't because they are using a filler piece that has to be just the right size but you don't have to have that constraint.

There have been quite a few threads about this which have photos and ideas on different ways, so those might be a help.

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 10:53 AM   #8

Registry
Quote:
You're lucky to have the easiest style of Boler front bench to convert. Some Bolers don't have that extra "square" cutout in the frame where your Porta Potti goes. And then even some that do have that don't have the cutout already formed in the bench like you do. So you're starting from a good spot.

If you wanted to keep it simple, you could use the existing filler piece for a table. I've seen people support the table in a number of ways, including the following:

1) "Hanging" a support from the existing mini-shelf that the sofa back used to attach to, and then having a leg that is the same as the fold-down leg on the back table, or a support that slants back to the front wall of the trailer. This is nice because the floor stays flush.

2) Using an RV table-leg socket - one half mounts to the floor and the other half to the bottom of the table, with a leg cylinder in between that you can take out if you want to drop the table down or remove it.

Another thought is that you might want a table that is slightly wider (curb to street wise) than the current filler piece. You know how at home your table overlaps your chair - RV ones often don't because they are using a filler piece that has to be just the right size but you don't have to have that constraint.

There have been quite a few threads about this which have photos and ideas on different ways, so those might be a help.

Raya
Hi Raya,
I think we are going to go with the leg sockets.I would like one that flush mounts to the foor.I am not sure if this is something I could do but it seems simple enough.I know we are really lucky to have the cut out already there.We have debated for some time about making the dinette afraid it might affect the resale value should we deciede at some point to move up to a larger unit.However we never use the couch.We leave the back dinette are down in bed mode so the front conversion seemed like a no brainer.My biggest concern is cutting the hole to put un the base unit.Thanks for the helpful info....Pat.
Old 07-31-2009, 12:59 PM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
My biggest concern is cutting the hole to put un the base unit.Thanks for the helpful info....Pat.
Isn't the base socket screwed to the floor rather than a hole cut in the floor? Unless I misunderstood.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 04:45 PM   #10

Registry
Quote:
Isn't the base socket screwed to the floor rather than a hole cut in the floor? Unless I misunderstood.
Hi Donna,
The base plate we are looking to install is a recessed one.Haven't decieded for sure if this is the way to go or not.Benifits....it lays flush with the floor.....on the other hand it involves cutting a hole in the floor.Don't know if we want to do that!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-31-2009, 06:17 PM   #11

Trailer: 2002 13 ft Scamp
Quote:
Here's one solution, recently posted with pictures: It's Done!, Front Dinette, Under-bed drawer, new closet shelves
This one is mine--thanks, Donna. I considered a pedestal table when I was building mine and decided against it, because I decided it would take up too much foot room. It was easier to get four feet in that space with this table. I also saw somebody used this table from Camping World (http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...ll-table/44376) in theirs (can't find the original post)--and while I really like the idea, I decided that I'd lose too much room with the curvature of the camper. I might build something like this next summer, but for now I really like the table I've got in there. It's light and I can take it out to take care of the kitty litter.

Good luck with your new dinette!

Karen
Karen B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 07:20 PM   #12

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Pat C... I don't think you need worry about weight gain as you will be eliminating the door & top of the PP. storage closet. Just keep them for re sale so they could be re used again!!! Great seein' ya at Bolerama this year.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote