Front door holder opener thingy, where to put - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2007, 10:28 AM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
I ordered a "front door holder opener thingy" from Scamp thinking it would be better than the bungee cord I had been previously using--but now I'm not sure.

Click image for larger version

Name:	3268a.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	8474

Where on earth do you attach the thing? Up high, down low, in the middle? I would have voted for down low, but as you can see in the picture the door curves so far out from the trailer that wont work.

Click image for larger version

Name:	3269a.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	8475

So right smack dab in the middle then? Is that more of an eyesore than it's worth? It will get matching paint, but the bracket will be right in the middle of the door.

Any ideas, has anyone installed one, that could show me theirs? Thanks Jackie
Kenny&Jackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 11:35 AM   #2

Trailer: 1982 Scamp 13 ft
I'll attach a photo showing where we put our door holder thingy (what IS it called??)
Sandra
Attached Thumbnails
new_paint_2.jpg  
Sandra Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 10:54 PM   #3

Sandra, thanks a bunch for posting a pic of yours. I think "wherever it fits" is going to be the right answer.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:56 PM   #4

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Quote:
what IS it called??
That would be a dubiculous...

or maybe a kachingus?

Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 04:03 AM   #5

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
It's a holditbackalator
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 04:38 AM   #6

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
The big problem I have is not where to install it but the door itself. On my Boler the door only opens to about 60 degree then it hits the belly-band.
There is already stress cracks where previous owner used bungee cords to keep open and I think if I installed one of these door- latch-a-rino-bobies it would have to have an extention on it to make it long enough to reach door.
Other Boler-ites have same problem and how did you fix
Gerry the canoebuilder
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 08:10 AM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
It's a door prop and there are several different types. The two I've seen, one was "bent" like in the picture Sandra provided and the other was "straight." I believe the bent one is designed for placement in the middle of the door....as Sandra's pic, the straight one closer to the hinge area to "prop" the door more open.

Course I've been know to be wrong

As an FYI, if you purchased this from Scamp they're made of steel and will rust. Be sure to keep it waxed! Also, you can place a piece of tubing around the shaft to keep it from rubbing against the gelcoat while traveling....or, I've seen a pic where someone had glued a magnet in the appropriate spot on the trailer body and the end of the prop "stuck."

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 09:08 AM   #8

Thanks Donna for the heads up on it rubbing the gelcoat (AND the name AND the placement), I'll have to get a piece of tubing for it.