front window guard - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-27-2012, 06:37 AM   #15
Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
can you order a replacement from an rv dealer? maybe not the same brand,, but will still fit?

john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:28 AM   #16
Name: Harvey
Trailer: '84 Scamp 13' & 2001 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
Originally Posted by john warren View Post
can you order a replacement from an rv dealer? maybe not the same brand,, but will still fit?
I'll probably check that out John. Problem is that I believe it'll hafta be pretty well the same exact size/shape, i.e. square corners; & the body 'casting' where the window/rock shield goes is 'inset' (depressed) about a half inch or so lower than the mid-body profile & it appears there is just enough room to place a frame of original width in the available space. The corners could be 'rounded' but it'd hafta be a pretty tight radius. There're lots of aluminum extrusions available that would make it fairly easy to near duplicate original hardware. I have an old pick-up camper shell 'tailgate' with a 'hurricane' type hinge that should work great for the 'swing-up' feature, & sliding latch/struts can be found at many auto salvage yards if ya know where to look.

Finding/obtaining a rear window half may be much more problematical. The outer frame is still there & I may hafta fabricate a 'single pane' type replacement similar to the the 'emergency exit' windows I see in some model Trilliums. I like (& need) the A/C but the way that window unit is mounted blocks much more light that I like. I can probably do without the A/C especially if I replace the existing 9" roof vent with a Fantastic Fan.

Was examining the axle/suspension a little closer yesterday. It appears that the driver side trailing torsion arm rides a little higher than the curb side (compressed/worn out rubber suspension bushings??), causing a little 'tilt' in that direction. I'll hafta pull the wheels & check further but this ain't a 'Flex-Ride' axle so I may be lookin' at an axle replacement. If I can get a new axle with same size spindle & bearing journals I may be able to order a new axle & just bolt on the current brake drum/hubs

This is gonna be a challenge but I ain't in any great hurry so I'm gonna be pretty deliberate in approaching/attacking it.

Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 09:53 AM   #17
Name: Cheryl O
Trailer: Shasta
Kevin K how exactly did you make the rock guard? Do you have the steps you can share?
Thanks so much

girlscan2 is offline   Reply With Quote