front window guard - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2012, 07:25 PM   #1

Name: Mark
Trailer: 1973 Trillium 1300
Ontario
front window guard

The front window guard that came with our 1973 trillium 1300 is history. It actually was not even on the trailer and I can see why. Can anyone help me out with suppliers? And has anyone ever found the hubcaps or copies anywhere?
Georgian Bay Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:50 PM   #2

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
the hubcaps that were on mine were generic trailer hubcaps from the 70's era, look for an old stickie that's been parked forever.

Joe
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 02:37 PM   #3

Name: Lil
Trailer: '84 13' Scamp & '14 homebuilt Benroy Teardrop
Minnesota
Registry
I've read somewhere on the forum about cutting a piece out of an old/unused/no-longer-loved fiberglass shower stall. Then you would need to find some sort of rubber gasket for the edge to tidy things up. And something to fasten it to the trailer. I wonder if you could order those fasteners from Scamp?
Lil M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 02:59 PM   #4

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rock_Guard_1.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	43453

Name:   Rock_Guard_2.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  11.7 KB
Make one out of vinyl siding and aluminum frame.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 03:06 PM   #5

Trailer: Play Pac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin
Make one out of [I
vinyl siding and aluminum frame.
[/I]
Kevin that looks great! Do you have more photos? Did you make the frame yourself? My Playpac didn't come with any window cover and I just never thought about doing something like what you did.
Camilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 03:31 PM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin K View Post
Attachment 43453

Attachment 43454
Make one out of vinyl siding and aluminum frame.

Kevin, nice. Where did you get the frame?
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:54 AM   #7

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Not mine. I found it on this site a long time ago. Can't find it now.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:06 AM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
That looks like it's on a Trillium. Here's Barrie's build: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ard-47282.html and here's Booker's http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post140561 Kevin 61 has a YouTube video right after Booker's post.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:38 AM   #9
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Check out McMaster Carr for hinges, latches, angle aluminum, struts ect.

McMaster-Carr
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 11:02 AM   #10

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
Check out McMaster Carr for hinges, latches, angle aluminum, struts ect.

McMaster-Carr
What would you guess the frame material to be? I'm guessing aluminum channel, maybe extruded specifically for window applications so that corner L's can be screwed into it easily. That would make it easy to slide in vinyl siding as opposed to glass.
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 11:35 AM   #11
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
My first thought would be to use angle aluminum and have the corners welded.

But before I made one I would call Trillium Outback in Canada and see how much a new one costs. Who knows, it might be cheaper?

Compact lightweight fiberglass Outback travel trailers Calgary | Trillium Trailers
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 01:15 PM   #12

Name: Harvey
Trailer: '84 Scamp 13' & 2001 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
That looks like it's on a Trillium. Here's Barrie's build: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ard-47282.html and here's Booker's http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ard-47282.html. Kevin 61 has a YouTube video right after Booker's post.
I have the same problem with my '76 Trillium 1300 (missing rock guard). Donna, tried to check those links & both of 'em lead to Barrie's post??

Is this the way the front should look with the rock guard removed? Looked like this when I got the trailer...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3535.JPG  
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 01:26 PM   #13

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey View Post
Donna, tried to check those links & both of 'em lead to Barrie's post??
Oh shoot, okay... just fixed it. BTW the pictures Kevin posted are what Daniel posted about his trailer: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post130649
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 02:37 PM   #14

Arkansas
Thanks Donna. It appears the the 'old green' border surrounding my front window is in fact where the original rock guard was removed after the trailer had been painted (badly IMO) white/black. There are holes (also filled badly) where some type of frame was removed so I suspect some PO took an old frame off rather than attempt a repair. I saved the pic of Booker's & Daniel V's replacement rock guards as well as the original shown by Larry C Hanson in the old thread. Betcha I can devise/fabricate something suitable (when I get to that point) from available materials if I can't find an original to work with.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:37 AM   #15

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
can you order a replacement from an rv dealer? maybe not the same brand,, but will still fit?
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:28 AM   #16

Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by john warren View Post
can you order a replacement from an rv dealer? maybe not the same brand,, but will still fit?
I'll probably check that out John. Problem is that I believe it'll hafta be pretty well the same exact size/shape, i.e. square corners; & the body 'casting' where the window/rock shield goes is 'inset' (depressed) about a half inch or so lower than the mid-body profile & it appears there is just enough room to place a frame of original width in the available space. The corners could be 'rounded' but it'd hafta be a pretty tight radius. There're lots of aluminum extrusions available that would make it fairly easy to near duplicate original hardware. I have an old pick-up camper shell 'tailgate' with a 'hurricane' type hinge that should work great for the 'swing-up' feature, & sliding latch/struts can be found at many auto salvage yards if ya know where to look.

Finding/obtaining a rear window half may be much more problematical. The outer frame is still there & I may hafta fabricate a 'single pane' type replacement similar to the the 'emergency exit' windows I see in some model Trilliums. I like (& need) the A/C but the way that window unit is mounted blocks much more light that I like. I can probably do without the A/C especially if I replace the existing 9" roof vent with a Fantastic Fan.

Was examining the axle/suspension a little closer yesterday. It appears that the driver side trailing torsion arm rides a little higher than the curb side (compressed/worn out rubber suspension bushings??), causing a little 'tilt' in that direction. I'll hafta pull the wheels & check further but this ain't a 'Flex-Ride' axle so I may be lookin' at an axle replacement. If I can get a new axle with same size spindle & bearing journals I may be able to order a new axle & just bolt on the current brake drum/hubs

This is gonna be a challenge but I ain't in any great hurry so I'm gonna be pretty deliberate in approaching/attacking it.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:53 AM   #17

Name: Cheryl O
Trailer: Shasta
Arizona
Kevin K how exactly did you make the rock guard? Do you have the steps you can share?
Thanks so much
girlscan2 is offline   Reply With Quote