Front window replacement - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2011, 03:45 PM   #1

Name: James
Trailer: uhaul 13
Wisconsin
Front window replacement

Hey All,

I will be replacing my front window on a U-haul. What is better Lexan or just a plexiglass?

Thanks, Daman
daman4799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 06:53 AM   #2

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by daman4799 View Post
Hey All,

I will be replacing my front window on a U-haul. What is better Lexan or just a plexiglass?

Thanks, Daman
plexi scratches easier....lexan for race cars might be better if those are the only two youre considering. Why not have a safety glass cut for it?
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:49 AM   #3

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Here is a link on this site for how someone worked on their Scamp window: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...air-45958.html
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:57 AM   #4

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Hey, Jim,

On uhaulcamper.com, there is a conversation about that. We briefly discussed making a rock cover to our VT, since it did not come with one, and Kevin wants to continue to be able see through the trailer.

The recommendation was to use Lexan for the rock cover.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:19 AM   #5

Name: Andrew
Trailer: Modified Trillium Jubilee
Ontario
Registry
Lexan or just a Plexiglas ?

Lexan is much heavier but, is more flexible and scratches easily.
Plexiglas is lighter, has better optical quality and better resistance to scratching. Unfortunately, it is much more brittle than lexan and can be easily broken by a flying rock. Having said that, there is a wide variety of grades for both materials.
Still, to keep things in perspective, plexi is (typically) much lighter and more resistant to breaking than "normal" glass.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:35 PM   #6

Trailer: 1980 Burro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew GPSMapNut View Post
Lexan or just a Plexiglas ?

Lexan is much heavier but, is more flexible and scratches easily.
Plexiglas is lighter, has better optical quality and better resistance to scratching. Unfortunately, it is much more brittle than lexan and can be easily broken by a flying rock. Having said that, there is a wide variety of grades for both materials.
Still, to keep things in perspective, plexi is (typically) much lighter and more resistant to breaking than "normal" glass.
They both weigh the same.
Density of acrylic (plexiglas) is .044 lbs/cu in
Density of polycarbonate (Lexan) is .043 lbs/cu in
Andy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:25 PM   #7

Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy B View Post
They both weigh the same.
Density of acrylic (plexiglas) is .044 lbs/cu in
Density of polycarbonate (Lexan) is .043 lbs/cu in
I guess, it depends on the particular spec. I work with both (plexiglas and lexan) sheets virtually every day. We mostly make aircraft lightplates out of it. Typically we use cell cast acrylic (plexiglass, specific gravity 1.18 g/cm3) and also Lexan (specific gravity 1.2 g/cm3). I agree, from these numbers lexan is only marginally heavier yet... I do handle sheets of both and from first hand experience, Lexan is very noticeably heavier. OK, this may be mostly due to the fact that virtually all of the plexi we receive is at the lower end of the thickness tolerance and Lexan is usually right on the nominal but, it is a real life experience and not just numbers from a data sheet.
Old 04-27-2011, 02:46 PM   #8

Trailer: 1980 Burro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew GPSMapNut View Post
I guess, it depends on the particular spec. I work with both (plexiglas and lexan) sheets virtually every day. We mostly make aircraft lightplates out of it. Typically we use cell cast acrylic (plexiglass, specific gravity 1.18 g/cm3) and also Lexan (specific gravity 1.2 g/cm3). I agree, from these numbers lexan is only marginally heavier yet... I do handle sheets of both and from first hand experience, Lexan is very noticeably heavier. OK, this may be mostly due to the fact that virtually all of the plexi we receive is at the lower end of the thickness tolerance and Lexan is usually right on the nominal but, it is a real life experience and not just numbers from a data sheet.
OK, lets use your numbers...

plexiglas = 1.18 g/cm3 = .0426 lbs/ cu in
lexan = 1.2 g/cm3 = .0433 lbs/ cu in

Front window in my Burro is 18" x 45" X .100" that equals 81 cu in

81 X .0426 = 3.45 lbs
81 X .0433 = 3.51 lbs

The difference is .06 lbs or a little less than 1 oz

At less than 1 oz difference I think a reasonable person would say that they weigh the same, certainly not enough difference to sway which is chosen for the window replacement.

I have plenty of experience with both and always thought that they were the same weight, that is why I was suprised at your comment and looked up the density.
Andy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 06:46 PM   #9

Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy B View Post
OK, lets use your numbers...

plexiglas = 1.18 g/cm3 = .0426 lbs/ cu in
lexan = 1.2 g/cm3 = .0433 lbs/ cu in

Front window in my Burro is 18" x 45" X .100" that equals 81 cu in

81 X .0426 = 3.45 lbs
81 X .0433 = 3.51 lbs

The difference is .06 lbs or a little less than 1 oz

At less than 1 oz difference I think a reasonable person would say that they weigh the same, certainly not enough difference to sway which is chosen for the window replacement.

I have plenty of experience with both and always thought that they were the same weight, that is why I was suprised at your comment and looked up the density.
I fully agree that in your Burro they will weight the same.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:58 AM   #10

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Personally, I'd still opt for tempered safety glass. Both lexan and plexi scratch easily. Not a problem for tempered glass. Most trailer windows are at least as high, or higher, than your tow vehicle's windshield. With your tow vehicle in front of it, the chances of it getting rock damage to the trailer are probably much lower than it would be for a rock into your tow rig windshield. If you are worried about flying rocks, I'd suggest making an easy to replace lexan cover shield. You'd have a good window, and a protective screen you could still see through. Just my 2 cents...
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 09:29 AM   #11

Trailer: Cloud 13 ft and Compact Jr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
Personally, I'd still opt for tempered safety glass. Both lexan and plexi scratch easily. Not a problem for tempered glass. Most trailer windows are at least as high, or higher, than your tow vehicle's windshield. With your tow vehicle in front of it, the chances of it getting rock damage to the trailer are probably much lower than it would be for a rock into your tow rig windshield. If you are worried about flying rocks, I'd suggest making an easy to replace lexan cover shield. You'd have a good window, and a protective screen you could still see through. Just my 2 cents...

Many front windows are cuved slightly which would make it impossible to obtain yes?
DonDeutsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 03:34 PM   #12

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
I don't see any reason why they couldn't make a curved one for a trailer. I can't think of a single car or truck out there that doesn't have a curved windshield, and they are all required to be laminated safety glass. As long as you can provide them with the dimensions and curve pattern, they should be able to conjure one up to fit.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote