Furnace & Propane Line Fix Costs $700? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-18-2010, 08:58 AM   #15
Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
On the other hand, she probably has a gravity furnace in her Boler now, and you can no longer buy those new. They are basically silent and they consume no electricity.

I don't know whether or not I would have that exact furnace repaired - it depends on the condition of the rest of it - but I wouldn't hesitate to repair one like it. (Not for $700 but probably for $300 or less(?))

In fact, I've been looking high and low for one for over a year now! Had a couple of "almosts" but they did not ultimately pan out

Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:00 PM   #16
Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2010 Casita 17 'Spirit Deluxe
Wow. If I had a furnace that took no electricity, and produced no H2O in the trailer I'd fix it. That's a treasure.

It's only money.

charliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 03:20 PM   #17
Name: Rick
Trailer: former Boler, now 1980 Trillium 4500
British Columbia

Wow. If I had a furnace that took no electricity, and produced no H2O in the trailer I'd fix it. That's a treasure.

It's only money.
I agree. My 74 Boler has the original Wagon Master gravity furnace with a 2 year old Maxitrol control module. The fact that it uses no electricity is a huge plus, although it is not fan-forced so the heat is a bit uneven at times. Also, having taken my furnace apart this winter for servicing, the Wagon Master has a clever concentric pipe construction that allows fresh air into the furnace and exits exhaust from the same vent structure without using any room air inside the trailer at all. I wasn't sure about that before as I could only see one vent for the furnace on the side of the trailer.

On the other hand, if you decide to update your furnace to a modern fan-forced one, I would like to have your front grill cover. Mine has louvers missing and I have been looking for a replacement for a couple of years now.

Have fun,
Rick G in Edmonton
Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 09:35 PM   #18
Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
We have a 16' Scamp with a suburban heater - the motor burned out and we paid about $400 to have it fixed, plus redoing the entire gas line and connections - turns out the guy before us had done some dangerous "fixes", of the "you could blow-up kind". The hourly rate was $100. - I simply felt safer having an expert do the propane part.

Diane D

Diane D is offline   Reply With Quote

furnace, propane