Furnace and thermostat - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2011, 09:02 AM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
Furnace and thermostat

We have a Scamp with a suburban furnace - worked fine last season(we had it serviced to get rid of wasp nests and a new motor). We just took it out for the first time this year - couldn't get it to even spark, the pilot wouldn't come on; I'm thinking the thermostat is defunct, it didn't click the way it usually does when we turn it on. Are they relatively easy to replace? or do I have to take the whole thing apart?

Thanks
Diane D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:40 AM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Did you check the fuse for the furnace ?

Bill K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane D View Post
We have a Scamp with a suburban furnace - worked fine last season(we had it serviced to get rid of wasp nests and a new motor). We just took it out for the first time this year - couldn't get it to even spark, the pilot wouldn't come on; I'm thinking the thermostat is defunct, it didn't click the way it usually does when we turn it on. Are they relatively easy to replace? or do I have to take the whole thing apart?

Thanks
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:09 PM   #3

Trailer: Casita
Diane,

The thermostat has two wires leading from the furnace. To test the thermostat, touch the two wires together and the furnace should run. If it does, the thermostat is bad. On a Casita, it is pop-riveted on so you must drill them out.

Get a Hunter digital for $20 at Walmart. Use the instructions for a two-wire installation.

Marv
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:53 PM   #4

Haven't had a chance to check anything yet, need to wait for the weekend - thanks for the info!
Diane D
Old 02-17-2011, 08:39 PM   #5

Name: Joe
Trailer: Scamp 16 - floor plan #4
Minnesota
Registry
I replaced my (1988) Scamp thermostat last fall shortly after acquiring the trailer - nothing wrong with the old one, really, except that it looked old and had sharp corners that would dig into one's upper arm while lounging on that side of the dinette. The new one (from the Scamp parts website, about $17 or some similarly reasonable price) is more rounded and comfy, and was a really quick install - two Phillips screws and two spade lugs for the electrical. There wasn't a lot of slack to work with on the wiring from the furnace, but there was enough, so it was a quick and easy project as these things go.

Hope this is useful -

Joe
Joe in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 06:39 AM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Joe, does the new thermostat from Scamp have a postive furnace shut off switch? I've absolutely need to replace the thermostat in my 1988 Scamp. Stupid furnace fan kicks on when temperature drops to lowest setting on the thermostat. When it happens at night the roar of the fan causes me to leap out of bed... grrrrr
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 04:44 PM   #7

Minnesota
Registry
Yes, Donna, it ("it" specifically being this item: Suburban NT-12SE Furnace Thermostat) does indeed have a positive shutoff - at the left end of the setting lever's range there's a detent where it goes to a solid "off". (The old one on my trailer had a separate switch on the bottom for that, hand-labeled in black Sharpie for "ON" and "OFF" by a previous owner - not so stylish and another reason for upgrading.)

The new one's temp control isn't calibrated in degrees like the old one was, although I don't think that was very accurate anyway - seems to me like the position of the new one's lever corresponds pretty closely to the old one's for the same temperature, and I don't find it to be a problem to not be able to set it by a temperature scale - I start out with it about in the middle and if it's too cold I turn it up, too warm I turn it down. The built-in thermometer seems about the same, too.

I don't recall whether the mounting holes were an exact match or not - I think I may have had to redrill one of the two holes a very little bit over from the old one. Wasn't a problem, anyway. (My Scamp used Phillips screws and not rivets here, I don't know whether that's typical or not.)
Old 02-20-2011, 05:25 AM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Thanks Joe
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 08:44 PM   #9

Thanks to all for all the info, it was really helpful - I went out to change out the thermostat and the darned thing started working - seemed to be Ok; I may still go ahead and replace it though. can't hurt!

Diane D
Old 02-27-2011, 09:26 PM   #10

Minnesota
Registry
Those things are really pretty simple to change out, I found - only two wires involved. My kind of electrical project.
Old 02-28-2011, 03:17 PM   #11

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
There is also a cut-off switch on the electronic control box inside the furnace. I found this out when we bought our 1999 17' Casita back in 2004. The furnace didn't work and I traced the problem to this switch. The previous owner must have turned it off.
CD Smith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace