Furnace in Scamp - is it safe? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2015, 06:08 AM   #21

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Kelly these are sealed combustion forced air furnaces, not unlike what you may have at home, and with many of the same safety features. Do install smoke, CO, and LP detectors in your trailer, but the furnace itself is a very safe design.

The biggest objection in my mind is not safety, but noise, being so close to the bed. We use ours in the evening and morning, but just snuggle in our sleeping bags during the night. Full disclosure: 5°F guarantees that we're at home in front of the wood stove, not out camping!

Another issue is DC power consumption if you camp off-grid. The blower can run down the battery fairly quickly.

Beware the catalytic (Wave) heaters, though. They are quiet and do use not power, but they involve combustion inside the cabin, so (1) adequate ventilation is essential, and (2) they can create condensation issues, since water vapor is a major byproduct of combustion (factory furnaces exhaust combustion gasses to the outside).
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 11:48 AM   #22

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
I have no fear of my Attwood II furnace. But the electric cube heater scares the hell out of me. Those glowing elements, vibrating little box do not instill a sense of security for me.

I use the cube at home when I am working inside the trailer. For sleeping in there I prefer the furnace.

As for the blanket issue. For me I felt more comfortable when I made a slide over guard so a rogue blanket could't lay up against the heater grill.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 05:33 PM   #23

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Is it safe? Sorry I just couldn't help but bring this to mind...

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 07:54 PM   #24

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
The Suburban furnace in my Scamp is a WHOLE LOT older than the one Byron is talking about and still works great (maintenance!). Other than the fact when it starts up it sounds like a 747 plane is landing INSIDE it works just fine. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace, scamp