Furnace not heating - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-05-2009, 07:52 AM   #1
Member
 
Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe (hatched June 2009)
Posts: 47
Help......Tryed to start the furance last evening and the heat is not kicking in.....furance never really used (2009 Casita)....opened the propane, lite the stove burners to insure no air in lines, pushed thermosat to the right, fan kicked on and after 5-10 seconds fan turned off, waited about 5 minutes tryed again, same thing happened......checked fuse and seems ok... have mud daubers screens on, though they may have gotten in before I got them on.....any suggestions, Thanks...Horst
__________________

__________________
Horst K.
2009 Casita SD
www.texasreflectionsphotography.com
Horst K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 07:14 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Posts: 692
If you only tried it twice the line from the main line to the furnace may not be purged of air yet.
The pilot light does not use that much gas as it is a very small hole.

Bill K

Quote:
Help......Tryed to start the furance last evening and the heat is not kicking in.....furance never really used (2009 Casita)....opened the propane, lite the stove burners to insure no air in lines, pushed thermosat to the right, fan kicked on and after 5-10 seconds fan turned off, waited about 5 minutes tryed again, same thing happened......checked fuse and seems ok... have mud daubers screens on, though they may have gotten in before I got them on.....any suggestions, Thanks...Horst
__________________

__________________
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 09:38 PM   #3
Member
 
Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe (hatched June 2009)
Posts: 47
Quote:
If you only tried it twice the line from the main line to the furnace may not be purged of air yet.
The pilot light does not use that much gas as it is a very small hole.

Bill K
Bill...Thanks for your reply...I thought since I lite the stove and ran it for a couple minutes that would have purged the air....but I'll try a few more times......Horst
__________________
Horst K.
2009 Casita SD
www.texasreflectionsphotography.com
Horst K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 11:06 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Harry Young's Avatar
 
Trailer: 1971 Astro (ie. Campster/Hunter I)
Posts: 437
Send a message via MSN to Harry Young Send a message via Yahoo to Harry Young
Post

Dear Horst,

The solid state board is designed to give three tries to strike then it will fail safe off... no more tries...I have had to start at the beginning of a season up to 15 times to get the air out...On some models I repair, the 12v power needs to be disconnected then re-connected to allow three more times, other models the thermostat may just be turned off then turned on again for three more attempts.

Happy Camping, Safe trails.
Harry

Quote:
Help......Tryed to start the furance last evening and the heat is not kicking in.....furnace never really used (2009 Casita)....opened the propane, lite the stove burners to insure no air in lines, pushed thermosat to the right, fan kicked on and after 5-10 seconds fan turned off, waited about 5 minutes tryed again, same thing happened......checked fuse and seems ok... have mud daubers screens on, though they may have gotten in before I got them on.....any suggestions, Thanks...Horst
__________________
Harry Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 08:54 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Joe Z's Avatar
 
Trailer: Casita
New River AZ
Posts: 1,043
Horst....
Mine does the same thing even though the stove lights...... it takes a while to get all the air out in the line between the stove and the furnace.... mine takes many many tries when left sitting for a long time.
Joe
__________________
Joe and Linda
2013 Casita SD
Dodge Ram 4x4
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 11:28 AM   #6
Member
 
Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe (hatched June 2009)
Posts: 47
Post

Quote:
Dear Horst,

The solid state board is designed to give three tries to strike then it will fail safe off... no more tries...I have had to start at the beginning of a season up to 15 times to get the air out...On some models I repair the 12v power needs to be disconnected then re-connected to allow three more times, other models the thermostat may just be turned off then turned on again for three more attempts.

Happy Camping, Safe trails.
Harry
Harry...had no idea it would take that many times...as I understand it I turn the thermostat off and try again in a couple minutes...I'll keep trying...again thanks..I do enjoy the camper...Horst
__________________
Horst K.
2009 Casita SD
www.texasreflectionsphotography.com
Horst K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 11:34 AM   #7
Member
 
Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe (hatched June 2009)
Posts: 47
Quote:
Horst....
Mine does the same thing even though the stove lights...... it takes a while to get all the air out in the line between the stove and the furnace.... mine takes many many tries when left sitting for a long time.
Joe

Jon...thanks for replying.....I'm going out this morning and keep on trying...will let you folks know.

I do want to thank all the folks on this forum.....this is really "a family" type forum...glad I found it...Horst
__________________
Horst K.
2009 Casita SD
www.texasreflectionsphotography.com
Horst K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 11:47 AM   #8
Moderator
 
Gina D.'s Avatar
 
Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Posts: 9,016
Registry
Mine did a similar thing, I tired all mentioned here. Finally swallowed my pride and had a tech look at it. He replaced the board. (Embarrassing as it was all of 4 screws and a couple molex connectors.. something I have done a zillion times on amps.. but have no furnace experience.. thats why he made the big bucks LOL) it worked for a couple days then wouldn't even try to light...just the fan went endlessly. The tech came over a few days ago and replaced the sail switch, a little pressure switch that looks like a sail. It opens a valve that lets the gas get to the ignitor from pressure from the fan air hitting the "sail" which actuates the switch into opening. The furnace has run top notch ever since.

I tore the bad switch apart out of curiosity. It was very corroded on the contacts, which explains it. On my furnace, the switch sits near the back towards the outside of the rig and is somewhat exposed to air and elements coming in from the world. After sitting for years in the snow before I bought the trailer, lack of use just let it build up to the point of no return.
__________________
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 11:48 AM   #9
Member
 
Judith Kennedy's Avatar
 
Trailer: 1984 U-Haul
Posts: 87
Due to the switch that indicates the fan is working, the heater on my uhaul will not light if the trailer is tilted towards the curb side. Leveling the trailer fixes the problem.
__________________
Judith Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 06:25 PM   #10
Member
 
Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe (hatched June 2009)
Posts: 47
Quote:
Mine did a similar thing, I tired all mentioned here. Finally swallowed my pride and had a tech look at it. He replaced the board. (Embarrassing as it was all of 4 screws and a couple molex connectors.. something I have done a zillion times on amps.. but have no furnace experience.. thats why he made the big bucks LOL) it worked for a couple days then wouldn't even try to light...just the fan went endlessly. The tech came over a few days ago and replaced the sail switch, a little pressure switch that looks like a sail. It opens a valve that lets the gas get to the ignitor from pressure from the fan air hitting the "sail" which actuates the switch into opening. The furnace has run top notch ever since.

I tore the bad switch apart out of curiosity. It was very corroded on the contacts, which explains it. On my furnace, the switch sits near the back towards the outside of the rig and is somewhat exposed to air and elements coming in from the world. After sitting for years in the snow before I bought the trailer, lack of use just let it build up to the point of no return.
Gina...thanks for your post...I am going to give it one more shot tomorrow (rained all day today) and if it still doesn't start, will call the "experts" to fix it...its still under warranty...but I'll watch to see how they go about it..again.. Horst
__________________
Horst K.
2009 Casita SD
www.texasreflectionsphotography.com
Horst K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 06:28 PM   #11
Member
 
Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe (hatched June 2009)
Posts: 47
Quote:
Due to the switch that indicates the fan is working, the heater on my uhaul will not light if the trailer is tilted towards the curb side. Leveling the trailer fixes the problem.
Judy...thanks for posting to help...what a SUPER bunch of folks out here!!!!!.....I checked to make sure the camper is level and it is...but is good to know that can mess it up..Again thanks ...Horst
__________________
Horst K.
2009 Casita SD
www.texasreflectionsphotography.com
Horst K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 05:08 PM   #12
Junior Member
 
Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Posts: 10
Quote:
Mine did a similar thing, I tired all mentioned here. Finally swallowed my pride and had a tech look at it. He replaced the board. (Embarrassing as it was all of 4 screws and a couple molex connectors.. something I have done a zillion times on amps.. but have no furnace experience.. thats why he made the big bucks LOL) it worked for a couple days then wouldn't even try to light...just the fan went endlessly. The tech came over a few days ago and replaced the sail switch, a little pressure switch that looks like a sail. It opens a valve that lets the gas get to the ignitor from pressure from the fan air hitting the "sail" which actuates the switch into opening. The furnace has run top notch ever since.
I will look into the sail switch on my scamp heater. It is very very distressing to have to sit through 20 ignitions to get it lit, lots of wasted battery there... Mine lights but then after a few seconds i hear a faint "click" then the flame goes out... After resetting the T-stat many many times it will eventually stay lit, perhaps heat-up of a valve is at issues here?? Does anyone have any info? I would expect that if it lights at all, even for a few seconds it would NOT be the sail switch. Could be air in lines, but it happens every time I try to light so I don't know where the air would be coming from. Help help, its cold up here in the NW.
__________________
shawn bertagnole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 10:27 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
mszabo's Avatar
 
Name: Mike
Trailer: 1986 Bigfoot FT20
Michigan
Posts: 650
Check your connectors on the thermo coupler. When the furnace lights the coupler turns heat into electicity, sending voltage to gas valve telling it to open main valve. Remove coupler and clean all connections.
__________________

__________________
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
furnace


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Furnace heating up upper drawer and fridge Steve Smith Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 6 02-26-2010 04:25 PM
RV Hydronic Heating System kentj Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers 7 12-17-2008 10:21 PM
More on heating Mo22 Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 7 06-12-2007 12:39 PM
heating a 13' trailer with? Erik J Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 14 04-26-2006 02:02 PM
heating a 13' trailer with? General Chat 0 12-31-1969 07:00 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.