Furnace not heating - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2009, 07:52 AM   #1

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe (hatched June 2009)
Help......Tryed to start the furance last evening and the heat is not kicking in.....furance never really used (2009 Casita)....opened the propane, lite the stove burners to insure no air in lines, pushed thermosat to the right, fan kicked on and after 5-10 seconds fan turned off, waited about 5 minutes tryed again, same thing happened......checked fuse and seems ok... have mud daubers screens on, though they may have gotten in before I got them on.....any suggestions, Thanks...Horst
Horst K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 07:14 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
If you only tried it twice the line from the main line to the furnace may not be purged of air yet.
The pilot light does not use that much gas as it is a very small hole.

Bill K

Quote:
Help......Tryed to start the furance last evening and the heat is not kicking in.....furance never really used (2009 Casita)....opened the propane, lite the stove burners to insure no air in lines, pushed thermosat to the right, fan kicked on and after 5-10 seconds fan turned off, waited about 5 minutes tryed again, same thing happened......checked fuse and seems ok... have mud daubers screens on, though they may have gotten in before I got them on.....any suggestions, Thanks...Horst
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 09:38 PM   #3

Quote:
If you only tried it twice the line from the main line to the furnace may not be purged of air yet.
The pilot light does not use that much gas as it is a very small hole.

Bill K
Bill...Thanks for your reply...I thought since I lite the stove and ran it for a couple minutes that would have purged the air....but I'll try a few more times......Horst
Old 12-05-2009, 11:06 PM   #4

Trailer: 1971 Astro (ie. Campster/Hunter I)
Send a message via MSN to Harry Young Send a message via Yahoo to Harry Young
Dear Horst,

The solid state board is designed to give three tries to strike then it will fail safe off... no more tries...I have had to start at the beginning of a season up to 15 times to get the air out...On some models I repair, the 12v power needs to be disconnected then re-connected to allow three more times, other models the thermostat may just be turned off then turned on again for three more attempts.

Happy Camping, Safe trails.
Harry

Quote:
Help......Tryed to start the furance last evening and the heat is not kicking in.....furnace never really used (2009 Casita)....opened the propane, lite the stove burners to insure no air in lines, pushed thermosat to the right, fan kicked on and after 5-10 seconds fan turned off, waited about 5 minutes tryed again, same thing happened......checked fuse and seems ok... have mud daubers screens on, though they may have gotten in before I got them on.....any suggestions, Thanks...Horst
Harry Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 08:54 AM   #5

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Horst....
Mine does the same thing even though the stove lights...... it takes a while to get all the air out in the line between the stove and the furnace.... mine takes many many tries when left sitting for a long time.
Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 11:28 AM   #6

Quote:
Dear Horst,

The solid state board is designed to give three tries to strike then it will fail safe off... no more tries...I have had to start at the beginning of a season up to 15 times to get the air out...On some models I repair the 12v power needs to be disconnected then re-connected to allow three more times, other models the thermostat may just be turned off then turned on again for three more attempts.

Happy Camping, Safe trails.
Harry
Harry...had no idea it would take that many times...as I understand it I turn the thermostat off and try again in a couple minutes...I'll keep trying...again thanks..I do enjoy the camper...Horst
Old 12-06-2009, 11:34 AM   #7

Quote:
Horst....
Mine does the same thing even though the stove lights...... it takes a while to get all the air out in the line between the stove and the furnace.... mine takes many many tries when left sitting for a long time.
Joe

Jon...thanks for replying.....I'm going out this morning and keep on trying...will let you folks know.

I do want to thank all the folks on this forum.....this is really "a family" type forum...glad I found it...Horst
Old 12-06-2009, 11:47 AM   #8

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Mine did a similar thing, I tired all mentioned here. Finally swallowed my pride and had a tech look at it. He replaced the board. (Embarrassing as it was all of 4 screws and a couple molex connectors.. something I have done a zillion times on amps.. but have no furnace experience.. thats why he made the big bucks LOL) it worked for a couple days then wouldn't even try to light...just the fan went endlessly. The tech came over a few days ago and replaced the sail switch, a little pressure switch that looks like a sail. It opens a valve that lets the gas get to the ignitor from pressure from the fan air hitting the "sail" which actuates the switch into opening. The furnace has run top notch ever since.

I tore the bad switch apart out of curiosity. It was very corroded on the contacts, which explains it. On my furnace, the switch sits near the back towards the outside of the rig and is somewhat exposed to air and elements coming in from the world. After sitting for years in the snow before I bought the trailer, lack of use just let it build up to the point of no return.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 11:48 AM   #9

Trailer: 1984 U-Haul
Due to the switch that indicates the fan is working, the heater on my uhaul will not light if the trailer is tilted towards the curb side. Leveling the trailer fixes the problem.
Judith Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 06:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Mine did a similar thing, I tired all mentioned here. Finally swallowed my pride and had a tech look at it. He replaced the board. (Embarrassing as it was all of 4 screws and a couple molex connectors.. something I have done a zillion times on amps.. but have no furnace experience.. thats why he made the big bucks LOL) it worked for a couple days then wouldn't even try to light...just the fan went endlessly. The tech came over a few days ago and replaced the sail switch, a little pressure switch that looks like a sail. It opens a valve that lets the gas get to the ignitor from pressure from the fan air hitting the "sail" which actuates the switch into opening. The furnace has run top notch ever since.

I tore the bad switch apart out of curiosity. It was very corroded on the contacts, which explains it. On my furnace, the switch sits near the back towards the outside of the rig and is somewhat exposed to air and elements coming in from the world. After sitting for years in the snow before I bought the trailer, lack of use just let it build up to the point of no return.
Gina...thanks for your post...I am going to give it one more shot tomorrow (rained all day today) and if it still doesn't start, will call the "experts" to fix it...its still under warranty...but I'll watch to see how they go about it..again.. Horst
Old 12-07-2009, 06:28 PM   #11

Quote:
Due to the switch that indicates the fan is working, the heater on my uhaul will not light if the trailer is tilted towards the curb side. Leveling the trailer fixes the problem.
Judy...thanks for posting to help...what a SUPER bunch of folks out here!!!!!.....I checked to make sure the camper is level and it is...but is good to know that can mess it up..Again thanks ...Horst
Old 04-26-2010, 04:08 PM   #12

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Quote:
I will look into the sail switch on my scamp heater. It is very very distressing to have to sit through 20 ignitions to get it lit, lots of wasted battery there... Mine lights but then after a few seconds i hear a faint "click" then the flame goes out... After resetting the T-stat many many times it will eventually stay lit, perhaps heat-up of a valve is at issues here?? Does anyone have any info? I would expect that if it lights at all, even for a few seconds it would NOT be the sail switch. Could be air in lines, but it happens every time I try to light so I don't know where the air would be coming from. Help help, its cold up here in the NW.
shawn bertagnole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 09:27 PM   #13

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Check your connectors on the thermo coupler. When the furnace lights the coupler turns heat into electicity, sending voltage to gas valve telling it to open main valve. Remove coupler and clean all connections.
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace